Changing perceptions.

I think with 3 more face buttons, a 2 GHz CPU, a bit more RAM, and 4 more pipelines, Wii would be possibly the greatest system in the universe, as far as I'm concerned. But it's not, and so I'm unenthusiastic.

DS is friggin' sweet. Buy one today. :cool:

Hmm.
Let me spill my guts :p I promise I won't do this again

Being an owner of a 360 makes me somewhat biased in this.
However, I'll say I bought the machine for XNA. This was before I got struck down by work stresses, and basically stopped programming as a hobby :( It will take a while to recover...

That said I've been very surprised how much time I've spent with the system. It's no where near perfect, but there is one simple thing that brings me back, and thats live. Being able to talk to my friends while playing (even different) games is simply the best thing for a recreational hobby like console gaming. It's like why people play MMOs, not for the game but the social interaction.
My perception has shifted somewhat. I still feel microsoft did a very good job balancing the systems specifications, and while somethings have been a bit disappointing (it's loud!) - I can understand why. Yet I've also been pleasantly surprised with the integration of the platform. So I'm a bit less on the hardware side, a bit more on the software.

For the Wii, I understand the desire people have for the little machine, it's a social console. I'm in no doubt it's great in a family situation; However if you live with determined non-games, where the majority of your gaming time is 'alone' I don't see as much value in the product, especially with it's NZ price. However my perception has lifted somewhat, I was overly negative before its launch, I couldn't see how it could work for long periods and stay fresh. Maybe it won't, but it's certainly clear it's got a good shot at besting the GCs performance quite significantly.

The PS3 hasn't really changed in my mind. A lot of my personal predictions came to pass, I was expecting a bit of a debacle, and we got one. There seems to be this strange desire for sony to complicate things as much as possible this year. Be it hardware, software or a PR point of view. No doubt the PS3 is technically amazing, yet I wouldn't say it's elegant. Yes it can do an awful lot of things (eg linux..) yet so much makes you ask 'why?'. What really is the point of single core PPC linux with 256mb of ram? There doesn't seem to be focus. Jack and his trades...

So.. 360+, Wii++, PS3=. 360 still maintains no.1 position though.

But that completely ignores the game situation. Which is really what it's *all* about.

Somehow the 360 has had me buying more than a game a month. For a console - for me, this is amazing. And the thing is, I don't regret any of them. And scarily enough, I don't see the trend stopping. Combine demos/trials, achievements, friend score boards, the overall technical side, guaranteed live - plus the biggest factor of all - your friends recommendations, often while they play - all add up to an amazing marketing system that (shock horror) doesn't feel subversive. It's almost viral. There is a reason you don't see many ads for 360 games, and thats simply they don't need them.
This has changed my perceptions a lot. Without all the above, I'd probably have bought maybe 1 game. Not 5. And the scary thing is I look to next year, and there are just so many titles that are *intriguing* - so many seem to be doing new things... I have a desire to experience them, and my wallet shrieks in panic

The Wii? Nothing has changed. All focus seems to be on either the hardware, or Wii Sport (which certainly sounds fun, but being a packin I'm ignoring). I can name three games in the Wii pipeline, there will be a mario, a metroid and a... ok two. And neither really interests me. I like tactical shooters and racers... I don't want to feel that Wii is only interesting for it's potential... Wii had an amazing launch form a quantity point of view (both hardware and titles), but where were the absolute must haves (from the perspective of the new control scheme?)... For me, they wern't there.

PS3? This is hard to sum up. The games on the horizon look great. Technically, and all. But that is all that seems to be the focus. OK motorstorm looks great, but how deep is it? Do we know?.. GT5, cars set a new standard visually. But everything suggests it's still the same thing.. pretty up the old formulae - where's the risk? Resistance looked great, and the technical achievement was impressive, but I've never been a fan of the CoD style - I don't have that desire to experience it.. While they all technically make you go wow, nothing so far has really made me curious. If anything this perception has got worse. And it almost feels like a whole swag of titles have simply disappeared from the system

So please factor in my bias. You do get somewhat myopic when it's the only system of the three you own. I've tried to sum up how I feel, and how it's changed without getting emotional :)

Xbox360: My perceptions of the 360 has definetely been increasing. I had no plan on getting a 360. I got it from preassure from my friend and was bored with the currents games I had. After having it for the last 3 months I am in heaven. All of my SOCOM clan is moving to the 360. One of the clan member that is getting a 360 was wondering if I will buy a PS3 later on. To my own surprise I told him I didn't see a reason to get one.

Wii: My perception of the Wii goes up and down daily. Lately it has been on a steady decline. My fear right now is that I will get tired of the visual and end up collecting dust like my Gamecube. It is new now and exciting but only one game that I would buy which is Zelda. Therefore, I am just going to wait till a price drop and more games are available.

PS3: It went from being the next gen console that I was going to buy and the reason I didn't get a 360 at launch or near launch to being when it drops to $200.00 I might buy it. The only game that might make me buy a PS3 is God of War III. So far I have had 3 opportunity to buy a PS3 and turned them all down.

360 -

I'd say my perception of the system has gone up fairly significantly. Probably half from what MS has done and half from what Sony has (or hasn't) done. Games selection and quality of games is about on par with what I expected this year. Next year they seem to be picking up steam and I expect a price drop or an increased value bundle pack to go along with what is likely to be a great selection of top notch games. Biggest surprise was downloadable hd movies and tv shows. It's one thing to announce something like that but another to deliver and they are doing a great job so far.

Wii -

Went from positive to negative to positive to wait and see. I liked the initial concept. I was let down by the specs, the name, and the price. But the sales are just unbelievable for Wii. I thought it could do very well if it had a better name and a lower price or more advanced hardware but with all these negatives it is rocking retail. Only question is will the hype wear off too soon?

PS3 -

I went from Wow! :) to Wow! :oops: with a bit of an echo at the end. They have stumbled on more things with ps3 than I care to list. Initially it looked like a world beater and was hyped appropriately and now ... well you've seen the news lately. Hopefully they can get somewhat back on track as a balanced gaming market is needed above all else.

This is a really interesting thread. Clearly nearly everyone posting is a long-term console gamer, and this shows in the analysis and the personal wishes. I'll throw in my perceptions as a non-console gamer, just for a bit of variety.

I've always been a PC gamer, never learned to use console controllers (since I'm so comfortable with the keyboard and mouse combo). I tend to play RPGs and driving games, with the occasional FPS thrown in. I've looked at the absurd prices of things like console steering wheels, wondered how on earth a console controller could ever compete with the mouse for FPS, and been concerned with the risk of thumb strain (which I get from thumb trackballs) wiggling those silly analogue sticks the whole time. I'm sure I'm not alone in this view of consoles.

So I've never owned a console..... until this month.

When the 360 came out I nearly got it as a media player frontend to hook my PC up to the TV via wifi "and I would buy the odd game probably (thinking of things like Kameo)", but then discovered that MS tied it solely to full Media Centre PCs for streaming, so I gave up. Recently I read that patches have fixed that, so I could stream video from my normal PCs to the 360, so I was more tempted to consider a 360... However, in the end my mind was altered more by something else. Still, I can see the 360 gradually improving both as a gaming device (particularly Live and the really smart move to force game developers to build for it) and as a media device, so my perception of it has probably improved.

My perception of the PS3 has always been that it is aimed squarely at tech enthusiasts more than the mainstream console gaming segment. The price just looks too high to attract the hordes who were buying their PS1/PS2s for €150-200. Even today, I can see parents stretching to €250-300 as a christmas present for the kid, but €400+ is going too far. Furthermore, I've always felt that BlueRay isn't enough of an incentive, but that's mostly due to my perception of HD content: I think that HD will only become compelling by 2008/2009, and by that time the HD format war will be clearer and HD-DVD or BlueRay players will be available for a reasonable price. The multimedia functionality also looks less interesting to me than the 360's media centre extender functionality which hooks up so well with Windows PCs.
Oh, and of course PS3 won't be available in Europe for at least another 3 months (although that's probably a wise move from Sony since at least the HDTV penetration will have improved slightly by that point)

And then we have the Wii. I've never played a Mario game, never thought I'd want to. Never tried Zelda. My perception of Wii started off with my typical zero interest (bleh, Nintendo kiddies device) to wondering if that new controller was actually able to provide a totally new gaming experience. I started to actually read reviews. I got even more interested.
The demo stands in this country don't let you try the console, and are showing pretty lousy graphics compared to the HD goodness of the 360 stands nearby. But despite this I bought myself a Wii for Christmas. And I'm not regretting it. And neither is my girlfriend.

The Wii has got two things very right: 1. it arrived at the €250 price point making it more of an impulse buy than a serious decision (at least for me). 2. It aims itself not at the traditional avid gamer market, but at short simple "party games". So you don't buy a Wii for yourself, you buy one for "the family".

So I'll go on being a PC gamer. I'll buy WoW Burning Crusade and clock up far too many hours there as I have been doing in WoW for the last 2 years. But I now have a couple of very simple Wii games to play together with my girlfriend. I don't expect to spend hours per day behind the Wii, but I do expect to use the Wii regularly, particularly when guests arrive or to have a laugh with my girlfriend. It's way better than the two of us trying to find a TV programme which we both want to watch!

So perception of a non-console gamer:
Wii ++++
360 +
PS3 no real change

And obviously the Wii comes out on top for me, since it overcame the very large hurdle and found its way into my house.

P.S. I don't understand people who complain about the lack of nuance in Wii Sports. I can only assume they've played with a poorly configured setup, or not realised how many different shots you can get out of games like Wii Tennis when you learn to use the controller properly, or just played against the AI and therefore not enjoyed the fun that is multiplayer mode.

My perceptions are still more or less the same.

xbox360: Nice hardware that comes at a decent price, though still to expensive for me. I think 300 euro is the limit on what I want to spend on console hardware (no core doesnt count because you need a expensive memcard for it so you might as well buy the full pack). That said, I think it fails in the game department much like the original xbox did. Most games you see are shooters, and I HATE shooters with analoge stick controlls. Xbox360 needs more typical console games and less pc'ish games.

Playstation3: I dont like it. The main reason I dont like it is because sony turned into a bunch of arrogant basterds saying things like ps3 is so good you want to work more for it. WTF, I already work 6 days a week, I dont plan on working more just to buy a over expensive console wich is only so expensive because its full of feutures I dont give a shit about. I dont care about a 60gb hdd, I got 1TB in my pc. I dont care about a card reader. You can buy one for your pc for 10euro. I dont care about a Blu ray player. I dont care about a stupid tilt sensor ripoff from nintendo (what nintendo creates, we take. Sony) What I do like however are games. And sony still has a advantage on that part. Not because of sony, but because of 3rd party devs still sticking with the PS brand. As long as the ps3 will get the same quality games as ps2 I'll still buy a ps3 no matter how much I dislike it.

Wii: The only next gen console I own but im still 2 minded about it. Its cheap, has decent power (once devs stop using crappy ps2 ported engines) and the controller really works great for alot of genres. But the downside is that the controller also doesnt work well at some genres (fighters). Now im mostly interested into shooters, rpg, adventure and that kind of games and zelda and red steel prove the Wiimote works great for those so im fine with that and the wiimote also works great for the non gamers. What im scared of though is the kind of games that will be released on wii. Wii seems to go the DS way atm with alot of mini games and cash in titels because devs can just use their ps2 stuff. If it keeps going like that wii will be a disaster exept for the nintendo titels but if it turns into the next DS goldmine you'll see great and alot of games in just about any genre you want. SO while you're kinda sure what you'll get when you buy a x360 or ps3 the future of Wii is still unclear. IMO everything will depend on sales and dev support kicking in. If it starts rolling its going to get big, if its going to lagg behind it will fail.

conclusion: Cant ms, sony and nintendo put the hardware and price of the x360 with the controller of the wii and the games support of nintendo and sony together and make a console? because that would be 'perfect'.

I got the 360 at launch and initially intended it to be some kind of "stopgap" solution before PS3 and Wii. Now, it's probably going to be my primary gaming system for this gen. My perception increased gradually, first with the release of many excellent, well refined titles, and after that at E3, where MS managed to make a very impressive conference. Definitely disappointed with hardware stability, though. But the software (both current and upcoming) is absolutely awesome.

For the Wii, I was definitely expecting a bit more "oomph" for the price, but the box and the controller are very elegant so I don't mind too much. It looks like, once again, Nintendo will be providing the best games for the machine. I was definitely disappointed by some 3rd party tries to cash in on the hype with a couple of very shameful games at launch. Software will definitely improve over time, though. Controller was an instant hit with casual friends, so Wii gaming will probably replace our usual Donka Conga sessions.

The PS3 has some potential and very nice upcoming exclusives, but the price, the very weak games (in comparison to what's available now on the 360), and the various delays, lies and global arrogance of Sony execs really lowered my perception. If I get one, it will be later in the gen, when price goes down and the number of desirable software (for my tastes) goes up.

I think I got burnt out of "console debate" with the last console war. There were too many immature brats (not necessarily here at B3D) to justify pouring a lot of effort into one's posts. Yet I feel compelled to speak up, if only in a limited capacity. I'll cover the handhelds too, while I'm at it.

DS: GBA 2. Enough said. It's living the dream.

PSP: It's really hitting its stride now. 2007 should be a good year for a handheld that really deserves better than it's gotten. My wish list? A significant battery upgrade would make the PSP a much more appealing option for gamers and developers alike.

PS3: It will hit its stride. As most have predicted, in late 2007 you'll start to see sparks. Will it win the console war? IMHO, not this time. The PS3 is Sony's N64, next to the X360's PS1. It will be a success, but let's just say that Blu-Ray will have plenty to do with it. Without Blu-Ray, I would say that the battle could be won, but with much more loss.

X360: Very well-positioned. Very very well-positioned. When the price drops, its victory will be ever so much more evident. Can PS3 still win? Hell yes! The X360 has everything going for it though, including... arguably... hardware power! I would not be surprised if the Xbox wins this generation. That's why I bought one!

Wii: I like you! Do you like me? I like! Everybody like! But for how long? Veteran B3Ders know that I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan; Twilight Princess is unquestionably my pick for GOTY. Still, it's very hard to tell where this console will go. If developers start moving their main franchises on-board and Nintendo can avoid long 1st-party game droughts, then it should be successful. If and when it gets over the same problem that plagued the DS for its first 6-9 months (gimmicky, half-assed game library) then it will be a success.

In terms of hardware sales, or relative hardware power?

What I was referring to is how the N64 sold over 30 million or so units worldwide next to PS1's ~100~ million, with more success in America than Japan.

Before the All of the consoles launched this is how I saw it (based on specs):
360>ps3>>>>wii
I gave the slight edge to the 360 because I believed (and still do) that it had superior spec'd hardware.
Disclaimer:
I am not a hater or ****** of ANY of the 3 companies. I have never purchased a Sony console but that is not becuase I hate Sony (I have many sony products), I just never fell for the hype and could see that their consoles were always inferior to the competition's (IMO). I do own an Xbox and a Gamecube. I mainly bought both of them for the kids (so they would stay of my PC), but I have a few favorites on each console.

Now that the next gen is here:

360 (-2 for poor quality control for hardware and updates +1 for FINALLY extending the warranty to a year -1 for charging for Xbox Live +2 for giving me 4 months of beautiful HD gaming )
I bought a 360 in July and LOVED it. I really thought I was going to stop upgrading my computer and just enjoy the incredible graphics and hassle free gaming(no tweaking, drivers, upgrades, patches). It basically did replace my PC until I downloaded the fall update and it killed my system (system would freeze up until I finally got the 3 red lights). I was so angry that M$ actually killed my 360 with an "update" and then wouldn't fix it because it was "out of warranty." After about a month of pure anger, someone pointed out that broken 360s where seling on Ebay for fairly high prices, so I sold mine.
Other than that bad experience, I think the 360 is stil the most powerful console in the bunch, and I really don't believe the PS3 is better in any way (I know the cell is the $hit on paper). The games I played on the 360 were the most beautiful games I've ever played.
Overall=Even

PS3 (-1 for price -1 for lack of availability -2 convincing people their console is superior when it isn't -2 for the fact that I went into Circuit City and Best Buy today, and the PS3 kiosk was broken at both stores -1 for not upscaling DVDs or PS2 games).
I have not seen it in stores, but I have read plenty of bad stuff about it. I don't believe that it is/going to be the most powerful because I'm sure the NV47 is gonna bog it down. I have ssen the video comparisons as well as screenshots, and it is certainly NOT better than the 360. All it has going for it is: Strong Hype, HDMI, Blue Ray (which I don't care about), and free internet gaming (for now). I always thought it was going to be too expensive to be main stream, but I do agree that if you add p all of the costs of the components it's a good deal (but so is the 360).
Overall = -7

Wii (-2 for having last gen hardware specs -1 for having Gamecube looking games at launch -1 for having only 480p support and no Component cables in the box +2 for wii remote success)
I always looked at the whole waving the remote thing as a complete gimmick. I was not interested in that at all. However so many people on the net and that I know say that they absolutely love it. I guess I can see how some games would be fun with it. I just know I could never accept the fact that the graphics will never be close to the other 2. Fun does count, but I'm not interested in any of their games anyway.
Overall = -1

What will I buy?
Now that the 360 has extended their warranty, I may buy it again when:
1) The price goes down
2) That new CPU is implemented

I will also probably buy the Wii because my duaghter can not live without Pokemon. But not until:
1) Either the price goes down or she pays for part of it with all of her Birthday/Christmas money.
2) They have better looking games than they do now.

I will never say never so I'm not going to say I won't buy a PS3.

My perceptions haven't changed much at all, with the exception of the Wii.

xbox360: No change in perceptions there. Even mid last year, I knew with Microsoft's marketing muscle and distribution lines it would propel the console well. I also concluded it's software library would have next to no appeal for me and so far it has lived up to this unfortunate reality a full year past it's launch. Sports gamers and those that aren't much into "hardcore" PC gaming realms will foam at the mouth and I think that's great.

PS3: No change in perception there either. Sony had a lackluster (IMO) initial line-up with the PS2 as well so I figured this would also be the case with the PS3. I can't say I'd recommend a PS3 at this time though as it's library in the "here and now" just isn't that great. I do not understand people's complaints on the technology though. The absolute best visuals that can be produced on my HDTV are being pushed out of a PS3 so I don't see the industry wide push to dispell this reality by firing up a few sports games or PC-style game ports with side-by-sides... Maybe if I played sports games or didn't have a killer PC, I'd understand..

Wii: I was a bit skeptical how the controller would factor into games and was pleasantly surprised that my skepticism was met with a highly satisfying experience. It turns out to be less of a novelty and more of an actually feasible input scheme (opposite my prejudice skepticism..), and damn fun to boot. Of course Nintendo has never been on the cutting edge of technology but their software library really doesn't require such expense. Like the Gamecube before it, all sorts of different, unique and all-age applicable entertainment is to be had here. I'm hoping for more "Nintendo" titles like Chibi-Robo, Pikmin and the like to adorn the Wii shelves next year. The lower price tag is also a big plus.

Xbox 360

My perception of this system has improved dramatically. The games that have been showcased lately are absolutely jaw dropping in look, even if they don't necessarily change the paradigm of gameplay. However, I have absolutely no desire to purchase a 360 until I get a HDTV. My husband and I had been planning to get a HDTV in 2006, but we didn't. Right now we're looking to buy one in 2007. But again, that may not happen.

Either way, I'll definitely own one eventually. Right now, price is the big factor. I want to get the premium, but I'm not going to spend $400 on one. If/when the price drops into the $200-$300 range for the premium, I'll pick one up. The cost of the HDTV is also a factor as well. I see no reason to purchase a HD console without a HDTV. hehe.

Either way, MS has really got a great system on their hands, so I give them big props for the job well done. They're even selling in Japan! :oops:

Wii

I approached the Wii with some trepidation at first. Like many others, I looked at the Wii's proposed specs and wondered how in the world it'd be able to compete against the 360 and the PS3.

And then the DS took 2006 by storm and completely ravaged the technically superior PSP. I bought a DS Lite in September and haven't looked back since. I already own 11 games and have plans to purchase more once I finish the last few games I haven't completed yet. In fact, my DS Lite is the reason I haven't purchased a Wii yet. I'm having so much fun with it that I honestly don't have time for a console right now. :)

That said, Nintendo seems to have a great model on their hands with the DS. And it looks like they're poised to repeat that with the Wii. I see Christmas 2007 being the real test. If the Wii is still going gangbusters by then and has some great 3rd party titles (you know 1st party will be represented in high quality), it'll be a smashing success.

I'll be getting one, but it'll be later this year. DS Lite is crack!

PS3

My opinion on Sony has been soured of late due to numerous public relations snafus regarding their batteries, rootkits, etc. That being said, the biggest thing for me with the PS3 is cost. I have absolutely no desire to spend $400 on the 360. Why in the hell would I spend $600 on the PS3?

Bleh. Seriously, that price has got to drop in half for me to want to purchase the PS3. Though I must say, when I saw Assassin's Creed I about peed my pants. Wow. :oops:

If the system can deliver on those kinds of games and, at the very least, get into the $300-$400 range by the end of 2007 (not bloody likely), it'll do really well. But realistically, I won't be getting a PS3 until well into its life. Maybe not even until year 3 or year 4. Given the fact that MS and Sony are competing in the same sphere, however, I don't honestly see a reason to get a PS3, especially since MS's system is priced FAR lower.

I think Sony has an uphill battle in this generation.

DS Lite

See Wii. :LOL:

PSP

They've got a lot of really good games coming out for the PSP. I have got to hand it to Sony. Yes the UMD sucks hardcore. Yes it's a battery hoover. No, it hasn't really offered any new gameplay experiences on the handheld other than prettier graphics (and the DS is no slouch). Regardless of all this, I think Sony has a long term winner on their hands. They've done something no other company has been able to do in the handheld space against Nintendo. They're competing. Yes they're getting their arses kicked, but at least it's a respectable arse kicking.

See Game Gear, Lynx, Turbo Express, and a whole other litany of failed handhelds for comparison.

My personal preceptions?

Wii: Loved the Gamecube even though it did not have many games I really liked but I am optimistic Wii will have better support then Gamecube so my preception is higher.:D

PS3: Loved the PS2 but after having a PS3 for 1 month I can honestly say I am not impressed. The high price is a sore point with me as with the lost of rumble since quite honestly IMO the sixaxis seems tacked on (tried resistance and Marvel) and poorly implimented. Further more Blu Ray movies are expensive as well and would actually be cheaper to just watch said movie at theathers and get lots of snacks for cheaper since I generally only watch a movie 1-3 times. So my perception of both the PS3 and Sony is lower although there are still games coming out on PS2 that I want.:cry:

360: Honestly I never got the Xbox but after having the Ps3 for a month and then trying the 360 both the price and games are appealing to me more and more every day. So my preception is higher.:smile:

DS: If anything changed in my perception of the DS in the last year, it must be how well Nintendo has been doing as a publisher. Kudos to them. Second, he DS hardware was even worse than I expected, but with the DS LIte Nintendo managed to make at least a part of that go away. Especially amazing was the difference between Japan and the rest of the world in terms of the DS Lite's success. I didn't expect that.

PSP: No big changes in perception here. I think above all, the PSP fulfilled more of my expectations than I expected. The biggest change probably is that I'm surprised now how much I use the non-modded PSP I have - it has almost completely taken over. PSP to PS3 support came sooner and bigger than I expected, in the form of downloadable PS1 games and the remote control features.

Wii: I have always loved peripheral gaming, and I've noticed that a lot of people, especially casual or non-gamers, do too. I own several light-guns (even psx ones, which still work), a dance pad, two wheels, and Singstar mikes, and they're all big hits with guests, almost always. So, while I'm personally not in the least looking forward to a virtual hardware standstill, I see that Nintendo made the right choice. Maybe not my ideal choice, but certainly for a lot of other people it will do nicely for the next 2 years anyway. My perception changed, inasmuch that I feel I might actually enjoy some of its games, which is new for me, as it's almost the first time I have that feeling with Nintendo in 20 years (I had short moments of interest in the SNES and NES, but each time they lost to their full-keyboard counterparts, the C64 and 800XL, and then the Amiga and Atari ST). So while I think its graphics are going to be a big turnoff, I also realise that Point Blank and Time Crisis really still are great games on the PSX, and there is good potential for the Wii to achieve something similar. The only danger I see is that specialist peripherals are still going to be better than the Wii, and you only need a few good peripheral games anyway, but in terms of mainstream markets, that's probably not going to matter. In fact, with all games making an attempt to really use the Wii well, there are probably going to be some great things for it.

360: Originally I thought I was going to get both the 360 and PS3, just like the PS2 and Xbox last time. But as the year went on, I went from disappointment to disappointment. Next-gen games looked and played far worse than I had expected, and bring far less innovation. Also, whereas the original Xbox impressed me especially with the quality and polish of its hardware (despite being ugly), the 360 really doesn't. I'm still waiting for a redesign, at least internally - I want it to be quieter. It is also doing much worse than I even expected in Europe. While it is a great attraction to everyone who got themselves an HD tv, that is only just starting to take off here. However, I am greatly impressed with Microsoft. It's really going all out, and doing a great job of making good use of their 1 year lead. Especially in the U.S. there is a lot of support for the Xbox, and while I had expected this, I hadn't expected as strong a support from the media as it is getting. Especially the U.S. media were probably fearing a lot less from Microsoft, and are happy that Microsoft is putting up a great fight. They may even win in the U.S., building on a strong base they already managed to set with the original Xbox.

Speaking of which, the original Xbox died a much swifter death than I had anticipated. And I keep forgetting to cancel my Live subscription, partly because each time I'm then thinking, oh well, I guess I will cancel it next year because now I paid for a full year anyway, and I might still need it. The Live service has very much become a mixed blessing. Without it, the 360 loses all of its appeal to me, but with it, it cancels the attraction of the Core (no HDD), and negates any price advantages the 360 has. Backward compatibility was also disappointing, as is Microsoft's way of dealing with peripherals, forcing you into buying their products (though thank god, at least there is finally, for the first time in, what, 5-6 years?, support for a force feedback wheel). The software support though is nothing to complain about. Kudos to microsoft in that respect. I also applaud XNA, and Live Arcade, at least in principle - in practice, it is turning out to be a big disappointment to me, something worth way less than the downloadable demos of 'real' games, which is one of the 360's strong points - though at the same time it exposes the weakness of only having a 20gb hdd available. Hopefully XNA will help to address the Live Arcade problem.

PS2: which brings me to the PS2, which is the exact opposite! It just keeps getting great games. It just reminds me that if you bought a PS2 at launch day in Europe, for what would now have been well over 500 euros, you would have gotten awesome value for money out of it.

PS3: this went up and down, up and down. But it ended with a big up. First of all, we finally got to see it. On the hardware side, wow. It blew me away. Much better than I expected. I really was unprepared for it, expecting something equal in build quality to the 360 at best. On the software side, it also outperforms my expectations, in terms of how well it is doing after launch. However, this is somewhat diminshed by being late, which was a big disappointment to me. But apart from having a delayed launch, it is fulfilling all my expecations - the Linux, the browser, the firmware upgrades, the PSP like media player features, the PSP to PS3 interactivity, backward compatibility, and certainly not in the least the great start with support for bluetooth devices, surpassing my expectations by already supporting many existing bluetooth headsets. Downloadable demos and games from the Playstation Store are also better than I expected (though I did see it coming when the PSP was starting to pick up with downloadable demos). The combination of downloadable games and the sixaxis controller should also hold a lot of promise. I'm still waiting to see where the limits are for the sixaxis in terms of motion detection. While the Wii has a slight advantage with the sensor bar, the sixaxis has the cell to help interpret the actual motions and add them to physics, and this holds great potential. The end of the year really brought things up to speed with the great idea of Tekken 5:DR as a cheap online game purchase, and a free demo of the beautiful GT:HD as well as Motorstorm really appearing to pick up. Very promising for me also was to see Resistance, because it shows so much promise in terms of physics - just check out the snow or the glass breaking or the hundreds of bullets reflecting from walls and so on. So, in the end, the PS3 is everything I hoped for and then some, with as its only disappointment its European release date. Although I had always expected spring 2007, I had really hoped they would actually have pulled off a global release in November. Finally, there is one nagging worry, coming straight off the GT:HD demo, which appears to have had force feedback support in a first version, but then this version was replaced with one that doesn't. The way I understand it, this probably means that we will be paying Immersion per game through a deal with PD and Logitech that is not yet finalised at this time. Of course there is still plenty of time to get it fixed, but right now, I really value force feedback in my driving games, and I don't like the idea that there are problems in this area. Other small worries are that the support for different resolutions and scaling is still not quite worked out, and that they were late in figuring out the online stuff - the Japanese really have a blind eye to this, but thankfully PD's boss seems to be picking up this issue as the GT:HD demo shows they are learning from PGR2's great work in this area, and he is also in charge of online gaming support. Also I'm feeling that Phil Harrison is doing a good job pooling global development resources, and London is a great place for that to happen, probably the best at this point in time.

All in all, though, it has been an exiting year. But not nearly as exciting as I'm 100% sure 2007 is going to be!

Well its probably just the way its written, but X360 wont have a new CPU ;) just a smaller manufacturing process :smile:
You are correct. I should not have worded it that way.

Update to my previous thread...
I went to 3 more stores that had PS3 kiosks. The only store that actually had it on was Target. However, it was a frozen screen. They said it has been overheating a lot, and they needed to turn it off, but hadn't gotten around to it.
Looks like another -1 for Sony.

I think mt expectations have universally dropped for every device. XB360 rendering jaggied low-res iages instead of downsampling to SD sets. Wii games not having truly intuitive 1:1 motion mapped controls. And PS3 with a lot of small but important tricks missed, like downsampling also.

It's disappointing that prior to a product's release, companies extole it's many virtues, only for a load of those to drop by the wayside. Hopefully most shortcomings will be updated.

Back