Champions League Final

Barcelona played OK tonight and deserved to win. Manyoo, on the other hand, were just rubbish, notably their midfield and defence.

Very disappointing really as I was hoping for a good game but Barcelona didn't even have to play particularly well to win the game. Dreadful defending for the second goal and poor defending for the first (though decent play from Barcelona for that one).

All in all, Manyoo's performance reminded me a little of their win over Bayern in the Final ten years ago but without the late comeback: a poor team selection and well behind in play for most of the game but this time without undeserved goals at the end.

I've got to ask what Ferguson was playing at with that team selection. He started with Rooney, a striker, on the left wing (though he does often play there) and Ronaldo (a winger) playing up front but with two £30m strikers on the bench! But for the goal, the first half was generally even as Park really should have scored instead of letting Pique tackle him.

Then, in the second half. Ferguson brought on Tevez for Anderson (who had been poor), leaving just one central midfielder (Carrick who barely managed to find his own players with a pass all night) to play against Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets! Sheer madness!

However, I don't really think Ronaldo and Rooney can be held too much to blame because it is all but impossible for forwards to perform with no support from the rest of the team.

I did say that the game would be won or lost in midfield and I'm actually surprised how much Darren Fletcher was missed because the Carrick/Anderson combination simply wasn't up to the job (as I predicted).

Still, credit to Barcelona - you can only beat what is put in front of you and they've certainly played well enough throughout the season to win plenty of silverware!

Barca played great!

I thought their defenders would end up loosing the game for barca, aspecially after seeing how slow it was against Man UTD forwards.

MAn Utd gave barca way to much space in the middle, and Guardiola was brilliant to pull Messi back in order to give him space.

Unlike their last encounter, where barca lost 1-0 after 2 even matches, this time barca actually schooled Man Utd.

Their reserve filled defenders line held out, and the whole team defended well. Stunning goal by messi! Like in their last encounters, C.Ronaldo was not very effective. Some unsporting tackles late in the match by Man Utd, not cool.

I advise you to watch last years semi final again. Only one team was even in the running.

Messi will choke and do nothing like always. He's just not that good.

Where are you now mate, so much for this schooling that Barca are going to get and you were right about Messi choking after he put the ball in back of the net.

FORCA BARCA

My take on this is because both are great teams, the one who scores first will have massive advantage. I think before the first goal, ManU were the better team. After 1-0, suddenly Barca is the better team. It's not so much because Barca playing very well, but more because ManU kinda lost in the game. It had a similar feel to Arsenal - ManU game, only this time ManU were in Arsenal position.

It's a good game, but not a great game. Chelsea - Barca game were much better and much more enjoyable than this one.

Man UTd played well for the first 10 minutes. After that they played piss poor. Maybe the first goal scared them?

While its obvious that first goal is a massive advantage, its not like Barca started to be defensive after their initial goal, they actually started to create more attacks! Which should open up for more counter attacks by Man Utd (which they should be good at, looking at how slow barcelonas reserve defenders where, and how fast rooney,C.R. etc is).

Man Utd didn't loose because Barca scored the early goal, Man Utd lost because they failed to control the midfield, and failed at creating chances forward. They gave messi, iniesta and xavi way to much space. Mufc midfield totally underperformed, didn't manage to close the ball down.

Countrary to what you say,i think Barca played well they defended as a team (obviously only solution when 3\4 of your defenders are not regulars), and they where very good in attack aswell, but this was mostly due to Man Utd failing to defend.

The Arsenal - Man U game is not comparable. The first goal for Man U meant that Arsenal had to score 3 goals to win (away goals rule), game was in effect over, all Man U had to do was defend and counter attack.

There is no away\home side in cup finals, aside from leading by a goal (like in any fotball match) there is no extra advantage. If MUFC had scored, things would be level.

Saying that Man Utd lost the game because of the early goal is ridiculous. Milan had a 3-0 lead after 45 minutes over liverpool a couple years ago in the CL final, but liverpool, by displaying extreme determination managed to turn that score into 3-4 by the end of the game. Being behind 1-0 against a team that doesn't play defensive fotball doesn't end the game.

After the initial 10 minutes, Man Utd produced nothing until late in the second half. Man Utd didn't loose because of the first goal, they lost because their midfield where totally incompetent in regards to defending against Xavi,Iniesta,Messi.

I could understand your argument if Barca started playing with 11 man defence sytems like some italian teams do when they are in the lead, but Barca countinously attacked after 10 minutes. MUFC where simply not good enough yesterday

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd give Barcelona 7/10 for their performance and Man United 3/10.

No criticism of Barcelona intended there either because they only needed to be at 7/10 to beat their under-performing opponents.

That's a harsh statement; They still had to defend and Iniesta was at exception yesterday.

I would agree that a 7 out of 10 is a it funny but I am so happy that Barcelona won considering how a majority of people thought the were going to be 'schooled' isn't that right DJ12, :LOL::LOL:

also agree that Iniesta was on fire last night and was my Man of the Match

Must be getting close to this years final. I've not been paying much attention, which teams will be in it?

Disgusting anti football by the italians. Again. I hope they get slaughterd by Bayern. Inter are a bunch of worthless shits. Spend 90 minutes 5 meters from their goal falling on the ground like little girls when somebody passes them. The refferee ones again shows why Dutch people always joke Belgians are stupid. What a retard. Constantly being against Barca when they were obvious the only team wanting to play football.

Anti football? How are you going to explain their attacking in the first leg? Nobody is dumb enough to attack when you have 3-1 lead and it is the mighty Barcelona.

And referee made them do it. Barcelona won free kicks whenever they fell down on slightest contact.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

It can't be any sweeter than this. Barcelona with all the luck they had in the past, this is their time to go out now. Inter just need one more win from the trophy :cool:

Disgusting anti football by the italians. Again. I hope they get slaughterd by Bayern. Inter are a bunch of worthless shits. Spend 90 minutes 5 meters from their goal falling on the ground like little girls when somebody passes them. The refferee ones again shows why Dutch people always joke Belgians are stupid. What a retard. Constantly being against Barca when they were obvious the only team wanting to play football.

Anti football?! LOL You must know nothing about football.

While its boring to watch, mourinho did everything by the book 100%! This is how you should play when your leading 3-1 on foreign soil and one of your guys just got handed a cheap red card. That changed everything, because inter lacked that striker who would push the two central defenders back to the middle line, and counter attack power.

Its without doubt the best way to play against barcelona. Its not like barcelona's football is all that brilliant (it does look good). Most of the time against good oposition they just keep playing quick short passes backwards and around the sides until the other team makes a flaw. Trying to stay offensive against such play requires a lot of stamina and it opens up for barcelona to capitalise. Granted, they are good at their tiki-taka, but good defensive teams (aspecially good defensive and physically strong teams) are their akillesheel.

If you expect a team to keep chasing that ball all night when they dont need to, you know nothing about fotball. Inter played the 100% correct way of playing given their situation. Inter was the better side at home, no anti football. You cannot do that in knockout CL. You need to win. What you do after you score is up to you. Some bet on counter attacks (which is great against any team like barca who plays with high defensive line (pushes up the back 4).

Last edited by a moderator:
A boring game but well played again by the Italians. Well, Inter.

Proper defending against a very disappointing Barcelona team who were lacking in attack tonight. They didn't show any urgency whatsoever until the final few minutes. Inter didn't try to kick them off the park either, they just defended very well which was required after Busquets conned the referee by playing peekaboo. That is the kind of cheating I hate to see, deliberately trying to get an opponent sent off by feigning an injury.

Very nice goal from Pique which showed what might have been had Barcelona pushed more men into attack sooner. Also, another nothing performance from Messi which, given his obvious talents, was both surprising and disappointing.

LOL Semis just finished.

Hehe, quite some timing huh? :)

Watched the last half-hour of the Inter/Barcelona match, it was quite some defensive display by Inter. Glad Barcelona got beaten, bunch of cheating, diving cry-babies. (And don't get me started on the Barca fans! :))

Also pleased for Mourinho because despite him being a royal pain in the arse he's entertaining in the way that most other football managers aren't.

Over one hour of 11 vs. 10, 75% posession, over 500 passes and one goal ? - Scored by a defender, no less.

For all their short passing brouhaha, Barca relies heavily on individual skill when it comes to goal scoring.

Cheers

So looks like Inter are the 2009 UEFA champions league winner....many gratz to them.

However I HAVE to say that this is one of the worst finals I've ever seen, clearly there was just one team which was actually trying to play football (Bayern) while the other (Inter) was just playing turtle. This was just like Inter vs Barca all over again.

Over the course of the match not ONCE did Inter managed to break into Bayern's defence (which is already quite weak) by play-making. Both goals were mere counter attacks. (though very nice display of prolificness by Milito in converting both chances into goals)

As for Bayern not trying to counter attack...well you can't really expect them to do a counter attack or better yet, do anything....when you have SIX players AND a Goal keeper all near the goal area, can you ? :rolleyes:

I mean 65 - 35 possession ? Come on !! <_< :-?

Back