Castlevania: Dracula X (PSP)

Bobbler

Shazbot!
Veteran
Konami announced yesterday, at their gamer day thing, a few new things (A Wii game and 2 PSP games it seems). I don't have any links (as those places I can't reach at the moment), but it should be easy to find information.

Castlevania: Dracula X is a 2.5d remake of Rondo of Blood (which I don't think ever made it to NA). It also includes the original 2d Rondo of Blood AND a full screen version of SOTN (apparently a port of the slightly better Saturn version and not PS version)!

As much as I love the DS Castlevania's, I always thought they'd work better on a PSP (just for the screen/resolution) and I'm happy as hell they are trying it out (with Rondo + Sotn, no less!).

Castlevania: Dracula X is a 2.5d remake of Rondo of Blood (which I don't think ever made it to NA). It also includes the original 2d Rondo of Blood AND a full screen version of SOTN (apparently a port of the slightly better Saturn version and not PS version)!
YESSSSSS!

But AFAIK the Saturn port was technically inferior (no transparencies), but had some extra content?

YESSSSSS!

But AFAIK the Saturn port was technically inferior (no transparencies), but had some extra content?

I think you may be correct -- I think it lacked transparencies but had Maria playable or something like that.

I think you may be correct -- I think it lacked transparencies but had Maria playable or something like that.
Thats what I remember hearing.

Theres always hope though that we get the best of both versions. How hard can it be to add transparencies, comparing to adjust the game to fit on widescreen ?

Thats what I remember hearing.

Theres always hope though that we get the best of both versions. How hard can it be to add transparencies, comparing to adjust the game to fit on widescreen ?

Yeah, one would think... but who knows. I'll take whatever they give me. I really want to play Rondo of Blood (as I never got to play it) mainly, but I'd love to have a copy of SoTN again (not sure where my PS1 disc went =/).

I think Dracula X is very good game, but also very overrated. I certainly would pay the 100+ for this game on Ebay. Still, it is a very good game, and comes with some nice bonuses. I still think CV4's the best, but Rondo is certainly close behind in second place. I doubt you'll be getting the Saturn version of SOTN, though I could be wrong.

Dracula X on the PC Engine was what made it such a phenomenon. It wasn't just the gameplay and graphics but also the music and full voice acting for the cutscenes all on a little console with an 8-bit cpu. The game also allowed choosing different paths. It's selling for $100+ on ebay because of its collector's value. When the game was released back in the day people were paying $80+ for the import.

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Games/rondo.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, I have the game and beat it on all the routes. The voice acting's nothing new for the PC Engine though. The very first PCE game had cinemas and full voice acting, but I guess it is new for the Castlevania series.

Back