Carmacks next engine..how can it do offline pixar-quality?

Re: Carmacks next engine..how can it do offline pixar-qualit

With the next engine you're not going to have absolutely every capability you'll have for an offline
renderer, but you will be able to produce scenes that are effectively indistinguishable from a typical
offline scanline renderer if you throw the appropriate data at it, and avoid some of the things
that it's just not going to do as well. We're seeing graphics accelerated hardware now, especially
with the multi-chip, multi-board options that are going to be coming out, where you're going to
be able to have a single system, your typical beige box, multiple PCI-express system stuffed with
video cards cross connected together, and you're gonna have, with a game engine like this and
hardware like that, the rendering capability of a major studio like Pixar's entire render farm,
and it's going to be sitting in a box and costing $10,000.
[source: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15932 (direct link: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=266373 )] :oops:

Re: Carmacks next engine..how can it do offline pixar-qualit

We're seeing graphics accelerated hardware now, especially with the multi-chip, multi-board options that are going to be coming out, where you're going to be able to have a single system, your typical beige box, multiple PCI-express system stuffed with video cards cross connected together, and you're gonna have, with a game engine like this and hardware like that, the rendering capability of a major studio like Pixar's entire render farm, and it's going to be sitting in a box and costing $10,000.

You mean Gelato?

Alstrong said:
You want the text ones I wrote up last August

Funny, your transcript has the same exact spelling, punctuation, and line breaks as mine. I didn't compose or perform the speech, but I did spend several hours of my life transcribing it. I'd appreciate some credit where credit is due. You don't have to say "Johnny's Quakecon 04 Transcript" every time you reference from it, but I would appreciate it if you didn't take credit for it yourself. If you want to take credit for something next time, make sure it's something you've done.

Johnny Watson said:
Alstrong said:
You want the text ones I wrote up last August

Funny, your transcript has the same exact spelling, punctuation, and line breaks as mine. I didn't compose or perform the speech, but I did spend several hours of my life transcribing it. I'd appreciate some credit where credit is due. You don't have to say "Johnny's Quakecon 04 Transcript" every time you reference from it, but I would appreciate it if you didn't take credit for it yourself. If you want to take credit for something next time, make sure it's something you've done.

Doh! :oops: How did you get his transcript anyway - I don't see it linked in this thread?

Johnny Watson:

They all (and I in that one quote of Wunderchu) have copied from your article. Alstrong PMed me another copy of it, which has sufficienly transcription that I'm positive it's not a copy of yours. Should have been clearer on the source. Thanks for the script.

Whoa... I'd tell you to take a chill pill or something, but I did write these myself. I pretty much did it right when the videos from gamespy were coming out. I even PM'ed others on this board about what I was doing at the time.

Even check out the dates on the documents. ;)

The only reason I said "mine" with respect to the transcripts was because it would be my punctuation, spelling, other things that can't quite be transcripted perfectly. So blame the transcript writer (me) for things that look weird. *shrug*

edit2:

yeah, the dates on the documents I have are all before the 25th (day of your post on gamedev). Don't think I'd have access to your computer, so...yeah. :p

But thanks for the apology. :)

I spent about 9 hours in total, you? :p

A paragraph of misplaced rant, 4 words to apologise. Go figure.

Anyway, Alstrong sent me a partial transcript before you posted yours and I probably haven't thanked him enough because I've referenced it a lot. Thank you Alstrong.

no problemo. :)

Anyhow, let's not gang up on some misunderstanding. ;) It's more important that we have these for convenience. :)

Who really wants to download hundreds of MB to just watch JC himself for over an hour?

StratoMaster: don't answer that question.

:LOL:

Mordenkainen said:
A paragraph of misplaced rant, 4 words to apologise. Go figure.

Anyway, Alstrong sent me a partial transcript before you posted yours and I probably haven't thanked him enough because I've referenced it a lot. Thank you Alstrong.

Considering that I initally thought someone was taking credit for my work (and it is an understandable misunderstanding, in my situation you would have thought the same thing), I thought my response was relatively polite. I'm sorry if my appology wasn't as long as you would prefer. Alstrong seems satisfied by it, and it was intended for him anyway. My issue wasn't that I was not being thanked, my issue was that I erroneously believed someone else was taking credit for something I'd done. It only takes two words to say "I'm sorry." Go figure.

Back