Can't delete files remotly on my server

MistaPi

Regular
Here's the deal. I have changed out a hard drive (not the system disk) in my server (a WinXP box used for data storage/sharing), from a older 250GB PATA drive to a new Samsung 400GB SATA drive. I cloned the disks using ghost and got all my data up and running in no time. But the strangest thing, I can't remotly delete files on the new drive and even more strange, I can't even delete files directly from the server once I have accesed the drive remotly. Even if I remove the share on the drive.
The PATA drives however function as normal, so I have tried a new sata controller and cable, but with no change. Any good suggestions to what the problem may be? because Im pretty at a loss now.

MistaPi said:
Here's the deal. I have changed out a hard drive (not the system disk) in my server (a WinXP box used for data storage/sharing), from a older 250GB PATA drive to a new Samsung 400GB SATA drive. I cloned the disks using ghost and got all my data up and running in no time. But the strangest thing, I can't remotly delete files on the new drive and even more strange, I can't even delete files directly from the server once I have accesed the drive remotly. Even if I remove the share on the drive.
The PATA drives however function as normal, so I have tried a new sata controller and cable, but with no change. Any good suggestions to what the problem may be? because Im pretty at a loss now.
How was the disk cloned? rebooted after that?
try to see with "unlocker" or similar tool if a process is keeping files open/locked
Also, I guess the fs is NTFS? go to root of new drive and retake ownership/reapply access rights for your and system user
I had similar problem when cloning my disk some time ago - when chaging PC, I just cloned from old to new... what I missed was that as PC is part of domain, as last step I removed old pc from domain, then added the new and in effect although same user/pass, the SID of the user is new and "unknown" to the FS

Last edited by a moderator:
chavvdarrr said:
How was the disk cloned? rebooted after that?
I used a DOS version of Ghost 9. I have done the excact same thing before without any problems.

try to see with "unlocker" or similar tool if a process is keeping files open/locked
Yeah that worked thanks, alot of system processes are using the files. But its a bit inconviant to delete files this way.

Also, I guess the fs is NTFS? go to root of new drive and retake ownership/reapply access rights for your and system user
How do I do that exactly?

In window's explorer right click on the drive in question, go to properties then the security tab then click on advanced then the owner tab.
Make sure that "Administrators(YourCompName/administrators)" is the owner instead of "Administrators - S_______"

madmartyau said:
In window's explorer right click on the drive in question, go to properties then the security tab then click on advanced then the owner tab.
Make sure that "Administrators(YourCompName/administrators)" is the owner instead of "Administrators - S_______"
I don't have a security tab, just General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing and Quota. Perhaps this is something only the Windows server editions has?

MistaPi said:
I don't have a security tab, just General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing and Quota. Perhaps this is something only the Windows server editions has?
Perhaps your partitions is formatted using FAT32 file system instead of NTFS ?
You nay consider converting to NTFS - more secure, faster on big partitions, no file size limits (2GB max on fat32).
its done via opening console (cmd), then
convert x: /fs:ntfs , then on next reboot it will convert the partition, important data should be backuped... a power surge can make a mess :)

Try disabling "Use simple file sharing" on the folder options. It should be the last one.

t0y said:
Try disabling "Use simple file sharing" on the folder options. It should be the last one.
Cant get acess to my shares then, even with premission to "everyone" group.

The file system is NTFS btw.

MistaPi said:
Cant get acess to my shares then, even with premission to "everyone" group.

You'll also need to give permission to the files/folders in the security tab.
Share security is a different thing, and windows tries to hide it from you with the simple file sharing stuff.

Ok, got my shares up again without the simple file sharing. Have full permissions to both "Everyone" and "Administrator" (witch is the account I use) in both the share and security tab of the drive. Still the same problem with deleting files.

MistaPi said:
Ok, got my shares up again without the simple file sharing. Have full permissions to both "Everyone" and "Administrator" (witch is the account I use) in both the share and security tab of the drive. Still the same problem with deleting files.

Who is the owner of the drive?
Have you checked out the advanced settings on the security tab?

Administrator account has the ownership of the drive. The settings are identical with the pata drive that I have full control over.

jeees, I'm running out of suggestions ....

can you please post number of hdds, partitions, software (OS, updates, any software which can "secure" files )

The simple suggestion (if you still have your old drive around)
Get all data bacj to it, zap the SATA disk, create needed partitions manually via computer management console (compmgmt.msc), then copy files to it through explorer - although slower for 1 night it will be done.
Of course first make sure you can delete files on newly created partitions...

I think this is appropriate.
popcorn.gif

Ok, copied out all the data and re-partition and re-formatet the drive. Same f'n deal.. :(

I shall try the drive in a another computer tomorrow, if the drive works fine there I guess a clean re-install of the OS is in order.

Back