Can the PC compete with Next Gen consoles?

Fox5 said:
Oh, and Guild Wars was a pleasant surprise, though certainly not a be all end all to PC gaming. Not exactly a hardcore game either, considering I can run my cpu at 40% it's max speed and still have the game play with no slowdown.

*shrugs* hard core in what sense?

nutball said:
Fox5 said:
Oh, and Guild Wars was a pleasant surprise, though certainly not a be all end all to PC gaming. Not exactly a hardcore game either, considering I can run my cpu at 40% it's max speed and still have the game play with no slowdown.

*shrugs* hard core in what sense?

Hardcore as in it requires or benefits from spending hundreds of dollars on hardware to play it.
A game that can run almost perfectly on 5 year old cpus and video cards isn't exactly demanding.

The one benefit of PC hardware is that it does feature frequent, though expensive, upgrades, but if the games are going to be years behind the consoles, then PC gaming as something competitive with consoles is dead. It'll be put into some niche, the same as Nintendo's new console is likely to be. Though the Revolution is a complete unknown, there's been nothing like it before in the console market that could help predict its success of failure. If we were to look at the DS, we could probably say the Revolution will succeed, but what works in the console market definetely doesn't in the handheld market, and what works in the handheld market may not work in the console market.
I guess the closest console to revolution may have been the Dreamcast. It tried to be different, Sega had several gimmicky add ons for it that they pushed hard, unique games, it was cheaper than the competition(though it was pretty much dead by the time it had competition), it supported features other consoles didn't have(for the dreamcast it was online and vga), and sega made a half hearted effort to capatilize on its old titles with the Sega Smash Pack. On the other hand, the Dreamcast is considered by many to be a near success, and most remembered for its uniqueness and not for the things it did like every other console, and Nintendo has more resources and generally plans things out better than Sega, so even looking back at the Dreamcast the Revolution could be a success.
Eh, whoops, wrong forum...well anyhow, PC gaming will probably become a niche, a very successful niche, but puzzle games and games like the Sims will probably become the mainstays of PC gaming.

Back