Calling all Whiskey afficionados!

Leto

Newcomer
Me and my teammates are buying our coach a bottle of whiskey for his birthday in the 70-110$ range. But none of us have any real knowledge of whats good so I need some advice!

Well, personally I would look for one of the single Island malts from around the Scottish coastline. My favourite of these is Laphroaig. It has a very distinctive smokey/peaty taste and is quite unusual (though it's not to everyone's liking). Not sure if or where you can get it in the States.

For more ideas visit http://www.maltwhiskey.com/

The Macallan is good stuff also, and you can pay as much as you want depending on age. Be careful though, some of these whiskey's are damned strong - I bought my father some Talisker recently and found it pretty brutal stuff. So you might want to check out his tastes first.

mcsven said:
The Macallan is good stuff also, and you can pay as much as you want depending on age. Be careful though, some of these whiskey's are damned strong - I bought my father some Talisker recently and found it pretty brutal stuff. So you might want to check out his tastes first.

Urgh. Talisker.
Definitely too brutal for me. ;)
I'd go for the 20 years Balvenie or 18 years Glenlivet.

Forget that expensive, Scottish stuff. For 70-110 skrill you should be able to get yourself enough Jack to kill a horse.

And yes, that's my suggestion. I've never had any whiskey better than Jack, but then, I've never had anything that costs more than $40/fifth.[/list]

Jimmers said:
And yes, that's my suggestion. I've never had any whiskey better than Jack, but then, I've never had anything that costs more than $40/fifth.

JD is *not* whiskey! It's paint stripper!

JD is *not* whiskey! It's paint stripper!
I second that! Better than Jonny Walker, though. Personally i'd go for an 18 year old McAllen. Maybe with a second bottle of 12 year old McAllen so he can compare to see the difference age makes.

Although you can't really compare American 'Bourbon' with proper Single Malt whiskies, to me the fact that most decent Malts are aged at least 10 years is telling. The American Bourbons are aged what, about 4 years or so?

Personally I quite like Glenmorangie (I've got the Port Wood finish one at the moment). I don't drink much of it, though as I'm told I become very aggressive on whisky so just the odd snifter every now and again.

My all-time fave is Rosebank, but it's a bit ££££'s these days 'cos the distillery closed about a decade ago and they're running on reserves.

Hi guys,

I'm not a huge whiskey drinker, but of the whiskey/burboun/scotch I do drink, I really like the Balvenie "Doublewood" 12 yr old scotch. It's right in your price range too. Otherwise, Glenlivet is good too. Seriously conider the doublewood though.

Nite_Hawk

Definitley go with some Evan Williams.

BTW - Jack Daniels is amazing, for a better taste Gentelman's Jack is better.

Buy a Scotish single malt 15+ year whisky. You can most likely find some whisky clubs etc. on the internet with some recomendations (you can start here: http://www.whiskymag.com/ and http://whisky.com/). Here is my 0.01 DKK worth:

The Macallan 18 year would be great choice and fit your budget.

Highland Park would be a also be a good choice, it is availeble as 12, 18 and 25 year versions. The 12 year offers good value for money and the 25 year is a bit too expensive for budget the 18 year might be perfect fit.

You won't go wrong with something from the United Distillers Rare malt line either.

Do not buy something like a Chivas Regal this is a overated, overpriced, blended whisky.

Not much in the way of consensus in this thread... :D The poor guy's going to have a harder task choosing AFTER he asked for advice! :D

Diplo said:
Well, personally I would look for one of the single Island malts from around the Scottish coastline. My favourite of these is Laphroaig. It has a very distinctive smokey/peaty taste and is quite unusual (though it's not to everyone's liking). Not sure if or where you can get it in the States.

For more ideas visit http://www.maltwhiskey.com/

I second the Laphroiag choice. It's pretty smokey, but I find it very smooth and simple(noncomplex).

I'm no hardcore whisky buff, but in my limited experience I find the Islay single malts simple to grasp and appreciate. I tried Glenmorangie higland single malt, man that was almost as complex as cognac... And I don't particularily like cognac.

Edit: Re: Islay, Bowmore is not for the faint-hearted! Seriously rough stuff IMHO... :)

Back