Call Of Duty 3 Footage

Yeah the grass does look better than COD2. On another note though, Does anybody get annoyed at the way COD2/COD3 does smoke? I mean it looks pretty good in stills, But in motion it just feels like a 2d sprite moving around, and does not feel like actual smoke.

If you check the videos when explosions occur, you get a BOOM, huge amounts of smoke, and then its all gone in 2-3 seconds. Explosions like that should have the smoke sticking around atleast for a minute or two. Almost saving private ryan-ish when the tank would blow smoke everywhere, making everything visually impossble to see. Maybe it's just a design choice and not a technical limitation, I just was always annoyed by it. ahh well...

/end rant :)

Tap In said:
hope these aren't too big....

not bad
media

media

Looks pretty good.

@ Badboy, if you throw a smoke grenade it lingers around for a few minutes so it's definitely a design choice and not a technical limitation.

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah the grass does look better than COD2. On another note though, Does anybody get annoyed at the way COD2/COD3 does smoke? I mean it looks pretty good in stills, But in motion it just feels like a 2d sprite moving around, and does not feel like actual smoke.

If you check the videos when explosions occur, you get a BOOM, huge amounts of smoke, and then its all gone in 2-3 seconds. Explosions like that should have the smoke sticking around atleast for a minute or two. Almost saving private ryan-ish when the tank would blow smoke everywhere, making everything visually impossble to see. Maybe it's just a design choice and not a technical limitation, I just was always annoyed by it. ahh well...

/end rant :)
listening to the producer interview 1up (and another interview somewhere) , I found that the wind will be modelled dynamically in the game and smoke will react to it realistically including changing direction and seeing swirls as wind passes back and forth moving away.

so I'd say it's an improvement on the CoD2 version that I play every night and that smoke, up until now for me, was the best I'd ever seen (and affects gameplay). It lasts for one to two minutes at least which is an eternity in multiplayer.

Smoke grenades of course. (it would be pointless to have a smoke grenade dissapear after 2-3 seconds) But I'm talking about explosions. Watch the videos again.

Bad_Boy said:
Smoke grenades of course. (it would be pointless to have a smoke grenade dissapear after 2-3 seconds) But I'm talking about explosions. Watch the videos again.

Yeah, my exact feelings on the smoke from explosions. Chromehounds had a similar problem (Still does but they fixed it some). Smoke particles should not VAPORIZE! :LOL: Have them settle or expand slowly and dissapate or have the wind blow them away, etc... but the magic "now you see it... now you don't!" explosions are annoying IMO.

Nice grass, everything else looks meh imo. Like an updated CoD2 engine--I was hoping for something more akin to the CGI. I think we are beginning to see the disparity between 1st party exclusives and multiplatform to a degree.

Acert93 said:
Yeah, my exact feelings on the smoke from explosions. Chromehounds had a similar problem (Still does but they fixed it some). Smoke particles should not VAPORIZE! :LOL: Have them settle or expand slowly and dissapate or have the wind blow them away, etc... but the magic "now you see it... now you don't!" explosions are annoying IMO.
Couldnt have said it better myself. But it's not only the duration of the smoke that I found annoying though. Have you ever tried circle strafing around an explosion in COD2? It looks odd, almost like a giant rotating sprite. It's kinda hard to put in words.

Acert93 said:
impossible to do + retain a viable framerate, smoke is very expensive graphically thus u dont want a lot of it hanging around

Dont know if it has been posted but...

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3151923

BTW a interesting bit

MI: I'll tell you about the Wii, because the Wii is the one that's the most developed right now.

This is very good for wii as it seems devs are taking good time to make games for wii even if they are reducing the qualitity of the art assets (unless they are using a upgraded PSP version:LOL: ), althought a conspiracy theorist can also say that it means they arent reducing it that much :???: .

My guess is that the Wii version is ahead because they are leveraging the GCN CoD engine. Also art is a big time consumer so being able to not only leverage current and proven tools but also working with lower resolution assets could speed the process along.

Just my guess.

Doesn't the Wii symbol at the end of the video looked edited in by someone else? It sure doesn't look natural as the Playstation or Xbox symbols.

Ugh. Those Wiishots are simply horrid.

I really can't see this console selling three years from launch when we're already getting these sort of visual differences.

Wii

RancidLunchmeat said:
Ugh. Those Wiishots are simply horrid.

I really can't see this console selling three years from launch when we're already getting these sort of visual differences.

I agree my friend those pictures are very bad. I think developer has not optimized for Wii hardware because texture is like oldest PS2 games. I hope soon it will be better. I think controller is great for driving this tanks.

Back