Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I think a lot of people fail to see the possibilities with Kinect and what it might offer. MS has to realize it's full potential for gaming and entertainment or their strategy was incorrect.

Kinect and motion controllers in general have a lot of possibilities. Main purposes right now seem to be easier TV/media use, hit motion games (e.g., Dance Central), and minor game control features. Most of these applications have workable alternatives. It's like the "better mousetrap" problem.

I suspect it's better to use the camera for new and more serious applications (e.g., robotics, surveillance, user generated contents). Otherwise, it may degenerate to gimmicky AR. But that's just me. ^_^

I'm also interested to see how well Kinect and Voice-recognition will work, once you are not sitting in a quiet small livingroom, but a big, perhaps noisy one. Or even, if you are listening to a sports-channel at a reasonable volume, how well the Box will respond to your commands (unless of course you have a microphone ready to pick up - but I'm guessing the mics are where you place the camera, which will be at a distance for maximum effect). And at then, there's still a distinction between what is a simple command like "Xbox One, channel 7" or one "Xbox One, browser, search x y and z" (where x y and z might be named/strings and not recognized commands).

These are important points, considering this is Microsofts business approach - their vision of the future livingroom with Xbox. If this doesn't work well (as well as portrayed, but in daily experiences), what is left beyond the features that people are likely going to buy this for; games?
You brought up good, valid points in the rest of your post, but in the true tradition of forums, I'm only going to answer one small part of it :).
MS has two technologies running in the Kinect to deal with the scenarios you posit: echo cancellation and beamforming.

Echo cancellation takes the outgoing stream, and uses it, and some serious computer science DSP work to remove the result of that signal from the incoming mics. If your sports game is being watched using the HDMI in port on the One, it will have access to that outgoing audio stream. Results vary, but in general we could get around 40DB reduction in the echo. This is the equivalent of taking a food blender 3 feet from you, and making it sound like a dishwasher in the next room. That's with Kinect v1. v2 will have a lot more CPU dedicated to echo reduction, and will be able to achieve even better results. (This right here is why you have to calibrate your Kinect, and if you find voice control degrading, your room impulse has probably changed, and you need to calibrate again)

For ambient noises in the room not coming from the TV, like a vacuum cleaner, loud conversation, etc. they can use beamforming. This is a technology where you use the physical characteristics of a multi-mic system to generate a directional filter. In effect, you only hear things coming from a single specific direction. Couple this with Kinect head tracking, and you can clearly hear a person speaking in a loud room. We did this with vacuum cleaners and other very loud environments, and the effect is quite impressive.

A third technology, which will probably no longer be used, since they moved the mics out of the Kinect enclosure, was what we jokingly called the "Phase Compensator", or the PMs called the "Static Tone Remover". This was a filter designed to detect and notch a single frequency, and was originally used to compensate for the stupid fan in the Kinect housing (Who the hell puts a fan next to a microphone???). It also worked well for other sounds that usually stick close to a single frequency, like vacuum cleaners, TV test tones, and sine wave generators. It has the disadvantage of reducing voice quality slightly if the tone is in the vocal range, which is why I think they won't use it anymore.

I think a lot of people fail to see the possibilities with Kinect and what it might offer. MS has to realize it's full potential for gaming and entertainment or their strategy was incorrect.

yep looking forward to seeing how well it plays out.. voice and gesture control of your entertainment system can be pretty compelling when it is part of a gaming system you might otherwise be considering as well as the already copious features of the Apps on Live.

really think people are underestimating the impact of having one in every box over the next 5+ years

Kinect has been out a couple of years right?

So why hasn't it been used in the big blockbuster games? Or if there are Kinect features in those games, why aren't enough people using them?

Kinect has been out a couple of years right?

So why hasn't it been used in the big blockbuster games? Or if there are Kinect features in those games, why aren't enough people using them?

There are lots of blockbuster games with kinect features. There are only a couple of big kinect only games (dance, fitness, sports)

There are lots of blockbuster games with kinect features. There are only a couple of big kinect only games (dance, fitness, sports)
I love using dragon shouts! Seriously though, we use kinect vc everyday so I personally would miss it. My wife loves the kinect fitness games, she will show just about anyone who comes over how it works. Kids games rock with kinect, but as a core gamer I only care for vc in my games and hope more use it.

COD should support hand gestures. ;)

The critical thing is that every Xbox One will have it . That's why it will get used in exclusives and also why Sony didn't include PSEye as standard. They are outclassed in this area so it's better for them if the multiplatform games don't support it and they are less likely to if only MS included it.

The other big thing is that Kinect 2 actually seems to work. :)

So can you play games like COD using only Kinect?

Are a significant portion of people with Kinect using motion controls for such games?

So if they have kinect voice and/or gesture menu/inventory features in an fps that predominantly uses a standard control scheme, is that considered used or not?

Do you need to use the air bags in your car all the time? Do you make sure to listen to every station on your radio or TV? Its a feature thats going to have more value in some circumstances than others (and some people will appreciate it more than others)and that's fine, but not including would have killed the tech and that would be a shame.

I guess that depends on the X1 owner playing that game. If he thinks using both Kinect and the controller makes him better at the game, then Kinect is improving the gameplay mechanic.

I just got the impression that so far, it's been limited to dance and exercise games.

So if they have kinect voice and/or gesture menu/inventory features in an fps that predominantly uses a standard control scheme, is that considered used or not?

Do you need to use the air bags in your car all the time? Do you make sure to listen to every station on your radio or TV? Its a feature thats going to have more value in some circumstances than others (and some people will appreciate it more than others)and that's fine, but not including would have killed the tech and that would be a shame.

Perhaps it isn't fair to compare Kinect to standard control scheme but people advocating for the inclusion should be able to cite a couple examples of it enhancing game play or the user experience. I agree it won't apply in all situations but surely its reasonable to request the name of a few titles or scenarios if Kinect truly is such an important piece of technology to have... I'd settle for 2 or 3 games or core OS features which integrate Kinect in interesting innovative ways is fair based off the dogmatic way some are acting towards Sony not including Eyetoy and hyping/praising MS for doing the right thing.

Using your car stereo analogy - I might not listen to all the stations but NPR, 80s rock and traffic all come to mind.

I just got the impression that so far, it's been limited to dance and exercise games.

Don't you think it's a tad unfair to compare a system that doesn't include a feature in every box to one that will? If the 360 had included the Kinect from the beginning in every SKU wouldn't you think it would open it up to more than just dance & exercise games? Kinect was released in year 5 of a 8+ console cycle. Don't you think that an optional peripheral released that late in the cycle might be targeting a new market segment that didn't already buy a system(e.g. non-core gamer/casual gamer)? Now that it's included in every box, developers have more of an incentive to start supporting it more.

Tommy McClain

Back