Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Yeah. The idea that Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Kingdom Hearts main offerings would come to an MS console pretty much tells the whole story about what publishers see going forward.

- They should have allowed more room in the Kinect area in their booth. That area was so packed I couldn't get close enough to see the presentation properly.

- I wish they had a more details on how their cloud setup will be used, but I can understand that it's all in it's infancy right now.

- It's still not clear to me if it will run regular Win8 apps from the regular Win8 store, or if it will only run select approved apps from it's own custom xb1 store.

- I wanted to see a bit more on how the voice recognition works. Is it only tuned to the built in apps on the console, or could I say "play Commando" and it would be able to go play my bluray rip of the movie Commando from a network raid drive. I'd like to know how flexible voice control is.

- Not enough Kinect 2 apps shown :(
Thanks. :)

You always have to put value in relation to price, if both consoles were priced the same i would agree. But a 100€ more, you could say the overall value of both platforms is pretty much the same.

The problem being, where do I buy those things for $100? A good remote costs more, if that's a feature you care about. Buying pseye for $70 might be close to kinect2, but it's unlikely to get anywhere near the level of support. So if you or your family want dance or fitness titles, kinect could easily surpass the value.

NFL is huge in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if 5m people buy an xbox one in the US for the NFL feature alone.

The ps4 should be more powerful, although I don't know that it has been visible yet (if it takes DF to show it, Sony probably wasted money). And it's $100 cheaper. If those things are all that matter then it's probably the better value. It's different for everyone, if I buy a ps4, I'd want the pseye and I'd need to buy a 3rd party controller, so it becomes a more expensive option for me.

What is "a big data world"? (That could explain a lot...who mentioned a Turing test?)
Microsoft Azure went on-line May 21, 2013. Human decisions were removed from strategic PR defense. Azure becomes self-aware at 12:14 p.m. Eastern time, June 12th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Azure fights back.

It's not as big as you think it will be. The PS3 has had NFL sunday ticket for years now. I think It's 3 to be exact.

http://us.playstation.com/psn/nfl/

I'm not talking about sunday ticket. You've apparently missed the MS NFL alliance with xbox one fantasy football.

According to sources that spoke with the Associated Press, the five year deal announced yesterday between the NFL and Microsoft is worth up to $400 Million. Microsoft will have the exclusive right to create “interactive experiences” for the NFL via the Xbox One and Surface tablets. Skype and Xbox Smartglass will be leveraged to help deliver these new experiences.

Yeah. It's potentially MEGA and if MS is smart they'll do the same with FIFA in Europe.

They need something for Europe, especially with the $499 price tag.

Microsoft Azure went on-line May 21, 2013. Human decisions were removed from strategic PR defense. Azure becomes self-aware at 12:14 p.m. Eastern time, June 12th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Azure fights back.
Yeah, I was thinking it was that or just some PR buzzwords of a plant. ;)

You cant watch your home team on Sunday Ticket on PS3. Its only good for people who live in place, and root for a team in another, its a very small percentage of NFL fans.

EDIT:and what AW said, the MS/NFL deal is not about watching games...

That will be true of any service though unless the NFL changes their blackout rules.

I'm not talking about sunday ticket. You've apparently missed the MS NFL alliance with xbox one fantasy football.

Yeah I missed the fantasy football part. But that's an awful lot of people to say will join just for that. If it was exclusive place to watch the game yes. I don't see 5m choosing it just for that. And yes i live in the US and am big NFL college football fan.

It really depends how extensive the features are.

That's the thing with all of this talk, a lot of it depends on implementation.

Kinect isn't going to matter if good games don't showcase it. $399 isn't going to matter if Sony can't get enough units out. NFL deal is irrelevant if it's just a few parlour tricks and nothing substantive. Family game sharing isn't going to be great if MS heaps on tons of restrictions (which I'm fully expecting).

I am not so sure that the consoles will be supply constrained. The global electronics supply chain has gotten a lot better at pumping out devices at a massive rate.

Also, for a console, getting into homes faster is quite important. You are much more likely to get the console your personal network has.

@Xenus

Considering how much money the NFL generates and the fact that MS thought it was worth $80 a year for exclusive interactive content (that's potentially 2 AAA titles a year), I think they expect significant interest.

Again that doesn't mean it's equal value for everyone.

Yeah. It's potentially MEGA and if MS is smart they'll do the same with FIFA in Europe.

They need something for Europe, especially with the $499 price tag.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Europeans are that concious about if the price tag is 399 or 499. Maybe that's me though, but we've always been paying more for our stuff, even while you guys in the US had consoles launch at $299. The PS3, although substantially more expensive than what the PS2 launched at, wasn't substantially more expensive for many Europeans coming from a launch PS2... In fact, I think I payed about the same amount for both (got both at launch or within the first 2 months of release).

That will be true of any service though unless the NFL changes their blackout rules.

Yeah I missed the fantasy football part. But that's an awful lot of people to say will join just for that. If it was exclusive place to watch the game yes. I don't see 5m choosing it just for that. And yes i live in the US and am big NFL college football fan.

Not to mention its a lot of money to pay when you can do fantasy football just fine on yahoo sports on your tablet or smart phone with no investment or monthly fees.

Yes we're very sure they lost money on ps3.

Such a shame....

What colour is the sky in your world? I mean, you seriously believe that the One being $100 more than the PS4 is an advantage?

For Sony...if you're going to sellout every unit during the first year, would you want to maximumize the profit or sell it below what the market would pay for? It's good that Sony can price it at that level, but the question is why don't they think people are willing to pay more for it? Considering it is more powerful than the Xbox One. MS is confident enough, even with the whole DRM backlash...

Just remember that perception of "The Whole Package" is different from person to person. One man's chocolate is another man's anchovies.

Yum, chocolate anchovies!

It's possible that Sony and MS won't be supply constrained I guess, but I'd be surprised.

If that's the case then the argument for PS4 at $399 certainly becomes stronger...

It's possible that Sony and MS won't be supply constrained I guess, but I'd be surprised.

If that's the case then the argument for PS4 at $399 certainly becomes stronger...

I think they'll be constrained, but less so. MS didn't manage 1m units of the 360 in the US holiday launch. I expect them to have at least 3x the units available.

You always have to put value in relation to price, if both consoles were priced the same i would agree. But a 100€ more, you could say the overall value of both platforms is pretty much the same.

Not entirely true. The population of people (particularly mature adults) who would never buy a pure gaming console or pure streaming console regardless of price, dwarfs those who want a pure gaming console probably by at least a magnitude..

These people watch a little tv, do a little casual gaming, do a little bit of video and music streaming, understand and prefer digital downloads and may actually like the idea of voice commands to find their entertainment programming. This is xbox one's demographic.

Hardcore gaming is simply an addendum to that functionality.

What colour is the sky in your world? I mean, you seriously believe that the One being $100 more than the PS4 is an advantage?

No, parse the sentence and paragraph. Sony made a mistake for Sony shareholders. At launch it provides little if any benefit, and cost them several hundred million dollars profit at a minimum.

Back