Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Couple of years from now, there still won't be some new revolutionary game control mechanic due to motion controls.

There may be some hit motion-control games, like Wii Sports. But most people will play most games with controllers.

The revolution isn't happening.

There doesn't need to be a revolution, just an evolution.

Indeed. The Toshiba AR face demo way back in the days of Cell excitement pointed to a whole host of advanced experiences that could attract a diverse audience. I'm sure back then we talked about Home having stores where people could go in and try virtual clothes to see how it'd suit them before buying in RL. There's so much more that can be done, the lack of vision by these companies is suffocating!

Yes, ditch the terrible 3D Home shopping experience. Use 2D UI and the camera for assorted scanning and recognition. The PS4 UI already has the user community built into XMB. Promote the LBP Hub as the next 3D meet up place. The motion controls should come in handy there since LBP 2 already has those PSEye and Move tools integrated. It's not a big risk, just better integrated.

For some reason, Sony seems pretty keen in AR. I would expect some update in this area from them, perhaps in the next E3.

According to vgchartz (can we trust them?), PS4 preorders in USA are around 600,000, and XONE around 350,000 (updated to 24th August).

According to vgchartz (can we trust them?), PS4 preorders in USA are around 600,000, and XONE around 350,000 (updated to 24th August).

Assume we triple those numbers for preorder + retail availability, then double that when we include Europe, and we'll end up with 3.6 mil and 2.1 mil needed to meet estimated demand adequately for the holidays. But we've still got 2.5 months to go too.

What were the preorder numbers last generation?

Those aren't bad but that implies a launch weekend of a million or so, maybe 2 million at most.

Maybe for both consoles combined.

That could still be a record but pales compared to sales of the most popular mobile devices.

Just a heads up but ms has avalible preorders because they cut some countries and have stock to now send else where.

MS decision to reduce the number of countries they are launching in is open to many interpretations:

1) language localization
2) supply/yield issues

Regardless if I were MS I would focus on the US and UK markets because those markets are likely to be the most relevant and important in their immediate strategy. From a branding standpoint I think its important for them not to concede momentum on their key markets so concentrating their supply makes good sense to me.

That may be exactly what they're doing.. shift allocations primarily to US and UK, minimal supply in the other 11 regions, and hope they pick up the people who aren't able to snag a PS4 due to supply issues.

Re 1: won't ever happen.. ever tried to use Siri in Holland ? It just won't get our english accent.
It and the google version even struggle with the kiwi accent so much so that its typically quicker to type something in (esp with swype). It could work out ok with simple stuff eg 'play dvd' but a typical sentence forget it

That may be exactly what they're doing.. shift allocations primarily to US and UK, minimal supply in the other 11 regions, and hope they pick up the people who aren't able to snag a PS4 due to supply issues.
How do proponents of this theory see the other territories progressing? Surely a slow start for them just means even more concessions to Sony in the rest of the world? If NA and UK represent 80% of MS's audience at the moment, say, surely then the focus next-gen should be grow into the rest of the world to increase MS audience, rather than just try to hold onto the current fanbase? How much of a foothold does their delay in Benelux and Scandinavia and everywhere else give Sony? How will Ms compete in those nations once Sony already has a presence, or do you think Sony's headstart in those countries will be immaterial to long-term sales for XB1?

Probably MS can accept to "lose ground" in those 8 countries because to are considered "minor countries", pass me the expression.
MS lost Japan, which is the third richest country on the planet, so I doubt losing ground in 8 more territories of far less economical importance it's a big problem.
Of course MS will never admit that it's just a business decision and will just come out with more excuses so to sweeten the pill for the customers that they are neglecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most answers right now will just sound like justification after the fact re: MS chose this, and it is good because of X.

The only answer to that will be in hindsight, and even then it won't be a complete answer. Some will prefer one truth and others will prefer the other truth about this type of thing i.e. trying to say what they should've done to get "better" results.

Nothing much objective to look at aside from what the sales end up as. Everything else is just a guesstimation, I suspect the topic will feel too sensitive for some to be genuine about it even a year down the road honestly.

Probably MS can accept to "loose ground" in those 8 countries because to their eyes are "minor countries", pass me the expression.
MS a lost Japan, which is the their richest country on the planet, so I doubt loosing ground in 8 more territories of far less economical importance it's a problem.

And this is a great example of those types of posts we will be getting now and for a year or two into the future. MS' decision is good, because of X.

P.S. Spelling nazi says it's "lose" not "loose".

Obviously the ideal situation is to hold your strongest territories and expand weaker ones, but with the triple whammy of launching late, at a higher price, and into deeply entrenched PS EU areas, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

In this situation the best course of action would be to remain aggressive in your strongest territories, and maintain a face of being competitive there if not worldwide.

The other territories aren't lost causes, but perception is everything. Without being able to take more drastic measures (price cut), maintaining a strong presence in terms of supply and marketing is the best they can do for now.

Back