Bungie comments on BC for Halo 1,2

c0_re

Banned
I have no idea where this info came from so I can't post a link sorry

edit: (Thanks Tap In) these are just excerpts for the full article go http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory....11th&p=5331972

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bungie spilled everything they know about BC in their latest Weekly What's Update. Combined with the BC list (now a sticky), it's pretty much everything you need to know. Also included: Microsoft is making BC files downloadable and/or mailable for non-XBL persons.

---

Bungie Weekly Update: November 11th, 2005

Earlier this week, we ran comparison shots of the 360 and original Xbox systems running Halo and Halo 2. Knowing how convoluted HD is, and how confused people are about the technology, we second guessed ourselves about whether to even show it. After all, we don’t have a 100% perfect way of illustrating the difference, without sitting each and every one of you in front of the screen to demonstrate.

Lots of folks don’t care anyway, but for those who do, we decided to explain some more of the details behind backward compatibility, HDTV and more.

Firstly, a reiteration of Wednesday – we had to do a kind of hacky screen capture, using analog connections, a Mac and Final Cut Pro. The results do show a pronounced difference, but nowhere near as accurately as running it on a real HDTV, or VGA monitor.

Running side-by-side pics doesn’t do it justice, so you’re just going to have to check it out for yourselves when the 360 ships in just over a week. So with all that in mind, here’s a quick Q&A about Halo and Halo 2 on 360.It doesn’t answer all the questions, but it answers a lot of ‘em.

What do I need to play Halo and Halo 2BC?

You need an Xbox 360, an Xbox 360 hard disk drive, and a copy of the original Xbox games Halo or Halo 2. None of the backward compatibility or improvements will function without a Hard Drive.

What other improvements can I expect?

The texture “pop-in” during Halo 2’s cinematics is slightly improved, thanks mostly to the Xbox 360’s newer, higher-tech DVD drive. Other than that, you should expect your copy of Halo 1 & 2 to behave almost exactly as they did before.

Why is the backward compatibility coming so close to the launch of the machine?

Largely because to test BC completely, it has to be tested on final, retail hardware, which of course only became available very close to the launch.

Can I play in the new “hi-res” mode on a VGA monitor?

Yes, with the purchase of the VGA cable accessory, you can play in any of the modes selectable through your Xbox 360. Optimum settings will depend on your monitor’s resolution and aspect ratio.

How is the resolution change achieved technically?

For Halo and Halo 2, it happens in the “frame buffer” where Full Scene Anti Aliasing is applied. That image is then scaled for the best mix of image quality and compatibility.

Are any other games backward compatible?

Over 200?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back