Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

I asked before but no one answered, can all ryzen systems boot from a nvme drive?
both m2 and pci-e slots ?

ps: Digi the reviews for that ram say it wont do 3200mhz on ryzen

Just a note, my wife turned to me at 8:38pm last night and said, "So we're going to Micro Center tomorrow?", and I almost snapped. :/

She snapped at me on Friday when she got home and we hadn't spoken until then. She worked the weekend so it wasn't hard, but she'd never even acknowledged my plans for our son for xmas and it threw me. Also the idea of hitting two major expressways and going to one of the busiest stores on xmas eve doesn't seem the sanest use of our day to me.

Am I just getting old, crabby, unadventurous, and losing my spontaneity? Or is it ok to be a bit perturbed and put out by the idea of stressing everyone out just because she didn't discuss xmas until yesterday? Or am I just doing the holiday stress-out thing myself?

Fuck it, I do so hate the holidays. <sigh>

lol dig you linked a local PDF file
ROFLMFAO!!! Sorry, I had borked around with the URL and reloaded a bookmark to link it. Here's the correct one.

upload_2019-12-24_13-36-34.png

Is it on the qvl or are you taking a chance ?
It's really, really close to one on the qvl and people on MC's site swear it works. The timings are just a tad different, it's 16-19-19-36 in the modules I'm looking at. Plan to ask the people at Micro Center their opinion, they're pretty good with this sort of thing. :)

The parts numbers are SO CLOSE! CMK16GX4M2D3200 is what I'm looking at, CMK64GX4M8B3200C16 us what they recommend. No clue what the difference is. :|

Oh, one is 2 by 8gb (16gb total 2400c14 speed), other is 8 by 8gb (64gb total 3200c16 speed) at least going off google links to Corsair site from the part numbers.

I figured out an easier solution, change his mobo to an Asrock B450 Pro4 and toss some G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 in it with the Ryzen 5 1600. I know that setup will work, I'm typing on it now. :)

Brings the total to $210.08 with tax and everything, but I think it'll be worth it not only for the peace of mind it will provide me but I'll also know how to OC it and tweak it so I won't have to learn an entirely new setup.

Fuck, my mobo has trouble booting from the M.2 f-ing drive, WTF!
HELP!

I need a mobo that will boot from an m.2, memory that will work in it, and it all has to like a Ryzen 5 1600 and my wife is asking me what's taking so long as I'm desperately running configurations. :|

m2 nvme I think, I'll check when I swap the hardware. I'm gonna try and make the M2 work first, failing that I'll use the SSD. If I get the M2 to work I'll put the SSD in my wife's rig since her OS is still on a HDD.

That board should boot off either PCIE or SATA based M.2 SSDs. If it isn't, then something is wrong.

One thing that can trip people up is if they are cloning an existing Windows installation onto an NVME drive.

For example,

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21731.aspx

I had to jump through some hoops when I moved to my first NVME SSD boot drive (I was cloning an existing Windows installation) along with moving to a newer MB. Thankfully the Macrium free software that I use has a utility that fixes most of these booting problems by making sure that the needed partitions and everything are in place.

IIRC, the problem I ran into was that the 3.5" SATA SSD that my Windows installation was on was set to BIOS boot (even though the previous MB was UEFI, it was set to BIOS boot). The newer MB with UEFI boot (I think NVME requires it?) enabled required an additional partition on the boot drive in order to boot from it.

That took me multiple days to troubleshoot. :p It was so confusing as the 3.5" SATA SSD would still boot fine (the MB was just auto-setting BIOS boot in that situation).

I may have remembered some things incorrectly as this was a few years ago when Ryzen first launched.

Regards,
SB

It's an nvme, Intel. Gave me a bit of grief about booting to a USB I made with the latest version of Rufus, but I think I'm wrangling it in to shape now. :)

All the bits are in, my son is pleased. :love:

Finally completed! It's booting from the M.2 nvme 240GB drive just spiffy and recognizing the new SSD and his 3 old HDDs. (After some judicious formatting to get rid of some windows installs on a couple of 'em, but he backed everything up to his 3TB which is fine.)

It's all done and he's tweaking it in now. Mobo recognizes the memory as PC3000 and is running it as such as soon as I loaded the XMP profile. Give it a few days to break in and I'll take her up to 3.9Ghz too. :)

Thanks for all the help, gods it was a stressful run of days culminating in absolute hell...but it's over now and only 1:34am on Weds morning and I finally get to eat and relax. :D

Back