Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

The 3xxx series is gen 2 Ryzen
You know amd disagree with you
From amd website
vmEUwd7.jpg

I'm with Malo on this one, Zen3 is actually the second gen Zen. There was Zen, then Zen2 which was just Zen+, then Zen3 which is the 7nm shrink and the true 2nd generation. They even spoke about it that way internally at AMD a year or so ago. 3rd gen is just PR.

Also the Asrock B450 Pro 4 rocks, been loving mine with a Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz on the stock cooler. Additionally you should NEVER go cheap or budge on your PSU, it's the what keeps all those expensive bits happy and safe. I'm in to Corsairs since I've had good luck with them, but again like you said Orangeoopaloopa there's a lot more than price involved in getting a PSU. I always cheat and either scope out a couple dozen reviews or I ask for help.

I also read somewhere that DDR4 RAM could have compatibility issues with motherboard, making it run in lower mhz (albeit on the other hand you'll be able to lower the CL)

One way to get around that is to look for memory which uses Samsung B-dies. The only thing is, that those are generally more expensive.

Outside of that, newer Ryzen processors are much more forgiving with memory. My Ryzen 3700x is able to clock the same memory (in the same motherboard) that I used with my 1600x higher. And not only that I can do it with 4 sticks of memory instead of only 2 with the 1600x.

While the MB still has an impact on memory speed and timings, the CPU has a significantly larger impact on that with Ryzen.

The 2xxx series is better WRT to memory speed, timings, and compatibility than the 1xxx series, but not quite as good as the 3xxx series.

Regards,
SB

because some people will want to use 4
Jedec or whoever need to start enforcing their standards
The better the motherboard, the better the memory compatibility, including high speed 4 DIMM configurations. That has been available to enthusiasts for years, decades. JEDEC have the standards, which are far below what gamers usually try to aim for on RAM configurations.

That's the thing, I can't find memory compatibility list / table on the motherboard website.

It only lists generic stuff like DDR4 MEMORY
1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466/3733/3866 by A-XMP OC mode
For AMD Other CPU
2667/2800/2933/3000/3066/3200/3466 by A-XMP OC mode

This link https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX#support-mem-14 shows the RAM QVL list for your motherboard and AMD 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge) Processor. Just click on the "Memory by RX-2X00" tab.

Uh. In the end I bought a second hand be quiet pure power 10 that's still got its warranty till 2021.

(for some reason no brsndtnew pure power unit in stock, be it series 10 or 11)

And I'll return the seasonic (hopefully they'll accept the return)

The better the motherboard, the better the memory compatibility, including high speed 4 DIMM configurations.
so orangpelupa' board must be terrible then out of 650 models of dimms about half of them wont run if there is 4 on the board
but then again ram compatability seems to depend on cpu

so orangpelupa' board must be terrible then out of 650 models of dimms about 500 of them wont run if there is 4 on the board
Its also the RAM manufacturers, many of them are not designed for 4 DIMMS, only 2. It's very common to not have good 4 DIMM compatibility. To get high speed low latency in 4 DIMM, you have to spend a lot on motherboard and DIMMs.

Back