British strange

bbot

Regular
They like to have battered fish fillets and fries instead of the usual burgers with fries, which they call "fish and chips". "Chips" to us Americans means thinly sliced and fried potatoes. We Americans like to have sandwich with our chips. Strange isn't it?

digitalwanderer said:
I don't do chips or fries since the heart attack. :(

Why not?
Have some chips, wait 2 hours for food to settle, then burn off the energy.

What's the problem?

Yea they are wierd . Natoma was over there and said he really needed a fag adn they gave him a smoke haha ;) just teasing ya natoma

jvd said:
Yea they are wierd . Natoma was over there and said he really needed a fag adn they gave him a smoke haha ;) just teasing ya natoma

I think we all tease Natoma, cuz we all love him. :p

bbot said:
They like to have battered fish fillets and fries instead of the usual burgers with fries, which they call "fish and chips". "Chips" to us Americans means thinly sliced and fried potatoes. We Americans like to have sandwich with our chips. Strange isn't it?

Fish n chips with a pint of Stella is way better than a burger.

bbot said:
It gets even stranger! They're wrapping those "fake" chips and that fishy burger replacement into old newspapers for take away. The "take away" is the true horror, no drive through ... you have to leave your car and enter on foot!!! Crazy brits :oops:

If you foreign heathens aren't able to appreciate the grease-encrusted tastiness of good fish and chips, that's your problem. And as for comparing a nice fried fillet of fish to a reconstituted amalgam of beef trimmings and sawdust - well, that's just crazy! :p

Ah, yes. British food = teh horror, for a continental guy like me. You could get mad trying to find something there that deserves the name "bread". And they eat their crisps/chips with sour cream or vinegar flavo(u)r. This is sooo disgusting, isn't it? ;)

Salt and Vinegar crisps are a national institution in the UK (as are cheese and onion). For anyone who hasn't tried chips (i.e. french fries) with salt and vinegar - you don't know what you're missing! ;)

And those crazy Europeans like to put mayonnaise on their fries - as if they weren't unhealthy enough already! :)

Actually, you can get decent bread everywhere in the UK. Ignore the white sliced 'blotting paper' stuff (which is packed with processed fat to 'preserve' it). You can easily get the usual french stick, ciabatta types as well as traditional 'crusty' loaves from every bakers and supermarket I've been to. I'm surprised you think this isn't the case! :?

Mariner said:
Salt and Vinegar crisps are a national institution in the UK (as are cheese and onion). For anyone who hasn't tried chips (i.e. french fries) with salt and vinegar - you don't know what you're missing! ;)
I know what I'm missing, and I'm happy ;)

And those crazy Europeans like to put mayonnaise on their fries - as if they weren't unhealthy enough already! :)
Not very common here, I always take ketchup with fries. But I don't like them anyway, they're only a filler, and the fat-soaked, unsalted sticks barely above room temp you can get at McD or BK I usually don't touch.

Actually, you can get decent bread everywhere in the UK. Ignore the white sliced 'blotting paper' stuff (which is packed with processed fat to 'preserve' it). You can easily get the usual french stick, ciabatta types as well as traditional 'crusty' loaves from every bakers and supermarket I've been to. I'm surprised you think this isn't the case! :?
Well, my personal experience only comes from a semester in Ireland, but some friends who were in Liverpool at the same time told me that it's not much different in the UK. Maybe I'm spoiled from the variety and quality of bread here in Germany, but we preferred to make our own bread to buying it.

No doubt that British "food" is a scary concept - there's a reason Brits are thin - but fish and chips is a notable exception. There's plenty of good food in Britain of course, it's just that most of it is Indian or Italian.

Traditional English breakfast isn't bad either but I'd have a heart attack inside of six weeks if I ate it daily.

As for bread, nobody beats Germany if you like robust (rather than flakey/crusty) breads.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Excuse me matey! You Johhny Foreigners may have an out-of-date stereotypical view of British food, but that's just jealousy.

London is a great place to eat, but how many of these top restaurants are serving Shepherd's Pie or Haggis? I had a lovely and amazing meal at Mirabella's a few months back, but I wouldn't call it English cuisine.

And the coffee? Blech! A whole country that *prefers* instant? Yuck! (I know you can get brewed in better restaurants and hotels, but the norm is nasty freeze-dried instant!) I stick to Earl Grey and English Breakfast over coffee when in England.

Mize said:
And the coffee? Blech! A whole country that *prefers* instant? Yuck! (I know you can get brewed in better restaurants and hotels, but the norm is nasty freeze-dried instant!) I stick to Earl Grey and English Breakfast over coffee when in England.

Who says the whole country prefers instant? I don't know anyone who drinks it. Heck, even the offices I've worked in don't drink it. Have you seen the number of Starbucks or Nero's Coffee around the place? I don't even drink coffee at home, and I have a caffitierre just for guests.

And as for "English Cuisine" there's lots of that about too. You're generalising. I might as well suggest the only thing the French do is criossants and horsemeat.

I refuse to get lectured on food by anyone who hails from a country that considers "grits" to be actually edible.

;)

Britain absolutely sucks in this respect. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to travel more - you can buy better food for less almost anywhere else in the world. Bet you anything a skinny Chinese guy working out of a shack under an overpass in Kuala Lumpur can knock up a better roast dinner than your local pub.

Back