Boss calls it quits(polygonsheep?) 'pics added'

i would like to join the other to wish the best of luck to ERP and the rest of Boss Games

news about a good company closing up shop is always depressing

-aneep-

ERP, truly sorry to hear about the turn of events. I hope things turn out good for you. best wishes to you no matter what you choose to do. hope you continue posting on this board, you're one of my favorite posters!

Hey ERP, I possibly have some very good news for you. If you read this before my e-mail. Please give me a call at work 416-536-9833 ext: 222 (if I'm not at my desk please leave a message with a phone number I can contact you with.

Wow! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So sorry to hear about it! And here I am thinking it's safe to start looking around... :oops:

Good luck to you in searching for new work.

Goldni

Not sure of the exact figures, but TGR is close to 1 million world wide.
WDC caught the tail end of the N64 market and pretty much bombed
(<100K units).

Best of luck to you ERP. I can't imagine how it must feel to work so long on a good project then have to walk away from it because of funding issues. However remote the possibility, I hope something can be worked out so at the very least you can finish up your game and get it out.

Have any of the screenshots from your game been leaked yet? I've been waiting to get a look at it for some time.

ERP please check your PM, I would love to help out any way possable. I think I speak for everyone when I say how much the gaming world will miss you guys, good luck on what ever do next.

ERP said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the good wishes.

It's just a real shame we couldn't get the game done.
I've worked on a number of canned games over the years, this is the only one that was canned despite being a good product albeit because the company ran out of cash.

I'm sure either Colin, or someone else will leak screenshots and video footage (I'll do it if no one else does). Personally I think the game looked really good.

And FWIW now theres nothing really to stop me talking about it.

This info is from the Xbox version.

Cars were 25000 polys (highest LOD), 4 textures/poly.
Base texture
Reflection map
a texture used to compute a fresnel term
Shadow map
Specular highlight (This was encoded in the alpha channel of the reflection map)

Most of the backgrounds were 2 or in some cases 3 textures/poly
I've measured peak in game polygon counts as high as 30M/sec.

I also did the game cube conversion that Colin mentions as a feasability excercise.

Sorry for bumping this really old thread.

Have any of the pictures or videos ERP mentioned been released?

Polygon sheep is a domain owned by one of the EXBossgame programmers.

I have a bunch of videos, but they're all really big (200MB+), and I have nowhere with enough upstream bandwidth to host them <shrug>.

my condolences ERP. I hope you have better luck in the future. You'd think with the amount of attention a game could bring to their cars they'd be more willing to make a compromise.

if you want ERP i can help host them. I am on cable but i think i can have some of my friends help as well.

The ex-BossGames dev who owns that site posted the video over at TeamXbox. His site is so extremely slow, however, that I was unable to get that video. No one's put up any mirrors either.

bscap0.jpg

bscap1.jpg

bscap2.jpg

bscap3.jpg

bscap4.jpg

bscap5.jpg

looks good :)

(thanks to Draikin@ GA for the pics)

Does anyone know if video of this game is on YouTube or anywhere? If not, might someone be so kind and post it up?

Alright I'm bored enough to actually look...

It doesn't look like I have the one Derek posted way back on polygonsheep, I do have a bunch of other videos from what look like late builds of the game.

Gamma seems to be off in most of them, since they were built from raw screen captures, and I'm having problems playing them in XP because of the Indeo video codec.

If I can find something that can read them I'll transcode them into something more friendly and stick them somewhere.

Looks like I also have several screen captures from the game.

Very cool ERP, I look forward to seeing them :)

Total side note: Boss Studios was very kind to me back in the N64 era. A friend and I had begun a PC/Console Tech and Game ezine while we were in High School. It was a hobby of sorts, and no one really took us seriously... but Boss did! They sent us media and were very encouraging. I lived in the Seattle area and regret never taking a quick trip to their offices to say thanks (I could not drive is my excuse!) A little late, but thanks ERP & Boss.

Back