Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by RancidLunchmeat, May 2, 2019.

1. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

2. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

Game releases tonight, 12pm EST and 9pm PST. I've got it preloaded so I'll probably jump on shortly thereabouts if anybody wants to join up. (XB1)

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Normally I would have pre-ordered this as soon as it hit the store. Thank you EGS for making me not do that as I would have regretted the purchase.

Been watching streams and I'm left horribly disappointed in the game so far. The antagonists are cringe worthy and character models seem to be degraded over Borderlands 2. The faces for many of them look downright weird. Ellie got the worst treatment in the process. She just looks like someone smashed her face in now. In Borderlands 2, she was cute in a big and cuddly kind of way. Overall the character models in BL2 are just way better than the ones in BL3, IMO.

The lighting while technically better clashes with the cell shaded graphics, IMO. It feels out of place and contrived to me. It's like they tried to make the cartoony cell shade graphics look more realistic, but in the process just made the whole thing look worse, IMO.

Also, Moxxie is the only character with "soft body physics." :p

The guns look interesting, but everything else leaves me feeling disinterested in the game. Usually when watching a game I like, I feel the urge to play it. Like watching people play Control makes me really want to play it. Watching Borderlands 3 just makes me think how Borderlands 2 is the better game. Or at least the one with an actual good story.

Borderlands was always about a bit more crude and adolescent type of humor, but BL3 just takes it down to a horny 13 year old level it seems.

Maybe it gets better later in the game, but so far

Up through the vault boss fight in Meridian and a bit into Eden 6.

I'm not feeling it for this iteration of the franchise. Then again, how do you top Handsome Jack as a charming, yet sociopathic antagonist? The answer in BL3 is that you don't.

Regards,
    SB

4. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

Eh, haven't gotten that far yet. Just started playing, didn't get to get on last night. So far, I'll say whoever does the intro and picks the song is amazing. It's totally Borderlands, but different yet the same. It's great. The HDR is in your face, when there's flares its really incredibly bright.. being in the desert it really feels like the sun is beating down on you.

Can't speak to any of Buddha's complaints because I haven't gotten that far yet.

Then again, it might just be the difference between experiencing it yourself and watching/reading other people's experiences. So far for me, and I've just barely started, it's just more Borderlands. A Huge improvement over the Pre-Sequel which I just couldn't get into at all because it didn't feel like Borderlands.

So far, this seems just like Borderlands. If you're playing, don't forget to search the starting areas before you follow Claptrap, there's lots of ammo and money to be found (although, I didn't find any weapons).

AzBat and Malo like this.
  5. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

So I got to level 4, again, just pretty much the intro stuff and then I quit last night because that's about the time where I decided this game isn't much fun playing by yourself. The Co-Op feature is what I loved about Borderlands. Also, changing back and forth is more difficult in this game you have to change your settings before you can do match making - so you can't just have your game set up for only friends and then try to join random's, you have to change your game settings or at least that's how it seems.

Either way, really fun, but certainly more fun with others. When I did get into some random's game none of them had mic's which defeated the purpose. Maybe I'll have better luck today.