Bluray conquers Japan.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
While i do belive that Bluray will become the winning format, i think thats an utterly foolish statement to make.

Its like SEGA saying that the Dreamcast got 95% of the NextGen marked 1 week after the PS2 launch, and state that the race is over.

The high number, is because of the PS3. We dont know how the PS3 will fare in terms of future sales, nor do we know how many people will actually use the PS3 as a bluray player. So saying the race is over is imo, foolish (but most likely correct)

I wonder what proportion of these HD players are actually PS3s?

There's a lot of stuff that comes out in Japan that never makes it to the West. I'm thinking specifically about mobile phones (the various DoComo handsets for example).

I wonder what proportion of these HD players are actually PS3s?

There's a lot of stuff that comes out in Japan that never makes it to the West. I'm thinking specifically about mobile phones (the various DoComo handsets for example).

Handsets are a bad example: They have a boat load of handset options there because the mobile phone market is saturated and the standards, until recently, were almost exclusively japanese tech. Not because they have a bunch of poor quality options that don't rise to the level of exportable or "real product".

For years and years handsets in japan have been smaller, lighter, tougher and longer lasting battery-wise than the nokia/motorola choices. And they have been no slouch on hooking them to the internet, adding location based services and using them for electronic payment, either.

Sure, with ~450.000 PS3s and perhaps 150-300K standalone players in a country of 130 million, it's a clear win... :p

Bluray is advertised pretty heavily on TV in Japan. Really visually high quality ads too.

I have never seen an HD-DVD ad on Japanese TV. Maybe they are on but they are not frequent enough/eye catching enough for me to have noticed them. I've seen some Toshiba HD player billboard ads. But TV is really where you get to present to your target audience what you are about.

Back