Blue Dragon will ship on 3 DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty excited about this game, excited to the point that I have considered purchasing the xboxwii60 as opposed to the pswii. I like Toriyama's brand of art and have great respect for Sakaguchi's work. I'm waiting for reviews to see if the rpg story, combat and overall gameplay fit into my tastes. Cheers to Microsoft for grabbing these folk.

No. I do not care about switching disks for an rpg. I do wish we could install them onto the hd for quicker streaming.

I'm pretty excited about this game, excited to the point that I have considered purchasing the xboxwii60 as opposed to the pswii. I like Toriyama's brand of art and have great respect for Sakaguchi's work. I'm waiting for reviews to see if the rpg story, combat and overall gameplay fit into my tastes. Cheers to Microsoft for grabbing these folk.

No. I do not care about switching disks for an rpg. I do wish we could install them onto the hd for quicker streaming.

I know what you mean!
Akira Toriyama's artwork is just plain awesome!

3 dvd bad news for me I hate these f^$$^$g fmv....
I remenber i give up early in the second iteration of mgs on ps1 for this...

i protest the thread title! it should have been "potentially super-awesome game blue dragon is confirmed as a first in a series of super-mega games" or "supermega happy time game blue dragon offers 50+hours of awesomeness" ;)

If you discount PC, PS2 and Xbox, maybe.

Were there multi-disc Xbox games?

The thing is, the console is in its first year. What about in 4 or 5 years? That might become a problem don't you guys think?

Why would it be a problem then? Are you expecting developers to make 50 hour games all around?

If the problem is with FMV storage, then in 4-5 years, I hope the developers have mad programming skills to give in-engine cutscenes that don't necessitate FMV. Just look at Gears of War's cut-scenes, the first major UE3.0 production for the 360 and we're already talking about a multiplatform engine that wasn't built from ground up for the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, the console is in its first year. What about in 4 or 5 years? That might become a problem don't you guys think? And games in multiple discs doesn't always work for all types of games if i'm not mistaken.

RPGs always take more room than the majority of games due to FMVs. I wouldn't expect games to get much bigger than this. And in actuality compression schemes usually improve during a generation so games have the potential to get bigger and take up a less amount of space.

I'm actually happy this is on more than one DVD. Hopefully that means we get a lot of bang for our buck.

I don't know why people think this is positive, or neutral news.

Not like you will be changing those discs that often but I was crossing my fingers that we would finally get rid of this after PS1. I hated it when I had to change the disc.

Atleast its good news there will be alot of stuff to do, seems like its just about long as FF7. Then again, I think I took around 100 hours to finish that game in my first time. Probably would have taken like 200 if I would have played my ass off trying to master knights of the round. :)

This game is going to rock!

Except it's going to require you to change discs. If it is going to be a seamless world, it will detract from the experience. Even if it is going to be a linear/episodic game, then it is still a disc swapping experience that didn't have to be there, however minor a point it is for some.

Not like you will be changing those discs that often but I was crossing my fingers that we would finally get rid of this after PS1. I hated it when I had to change the disc.

Atleast its good news there will be alot of stuff to do, seems like its just about long as FF7. Then again, I think I took around 100 hours to finish that game in my first time. Probably would have taken like 200 if I would have played my ass off trying to master knights of the round. :)

I played for 96 hrs before mastering knights of the round and defeating all of the weapons (I still have the memory card with this info). Why? Because I'm badass that's why!:mad: ;)

Inane, we are still waiting to hear about which ps2 and xbox games had to be on multiple dvds. I just want to know for curiosity's sake.

Nothing to discuss. 3 DVD's is fine by me. Hopefully the game is good and we get it soon. Curious to read reviews on it.

It is an important discussion. Whether or not you like to swap discs while playing games (I don't care), the point remains - weren't there supposed to be no next generation game that requires more capacity than a DVD provides?

I played for 96 hrs before mastering knights of the round and defeating all of the weapons (I still have the memory card with this info). Why? Because I'm badass that's why!:mad: ;)

Inane, we are still waiting to hear about which ps2 and xbox games had to be on multiple dvds. I just want to know for curiosity's sake.

Its no surprise if that was not your first time playing, you have to also keep in mind that when I first played FF7 I was in the 3rd grade with very limited english vocabulary. ;) Can't even imagine now how I managed to finish it in the end without understanding pretty much nothing. I guess patience pays in the end. :)

I have never really had the patience to master knights of the round tho. I don't know if you have seen that one dude finish off emerald weapon with lvl 7 tifa. ;)

weren't there supposed to be no next generation game that requires more capacity than a DVD provides?

Is DVD not providing the storage for Blue Dragon?

Nobody every said there would be zero games, just that it will be few and far between, and for most genres there are workarounds, so that in the end it shouldn't really be a big issue.

Is DVD not providing the storage for Blue Dragon?

Nobody every said there would be zero games, just that it will be few and far between, and for most genres there are workarounds, so that in the end it shouldn't really be a big issue.

If you consider having to use 3 DVD's, "providing storage" fine by me. I disagree however, not to say blu-ray or HD-DVD would be any better but you get my point. Wouldn't hurt for the game to be on one disc, no?

It's positive news because:
A) They didn't compromise the game by forcing it onto one disc
B) They were able to split it across multiple discs
C) It sounds like a very long game which is great
D) A sequel has been confirmed

Well, I'm not Inane but I can list a couple PS2 games that had multiple discs. Xenosaga 2 and 3 had multiple discs. To be honest, those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure I remember hearing of a couple others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back