Blu-ray expects to reveal launch details CES 2006

AlphaWolf said:
Yet still no movies for blu-ray. You would think that would make it easier.

So... where can I get a Blu-ray player to hook to my TV?

If you're going to be silly, you've got to try harder than that.

AlphaWolf said:
Yet still no movies for blu-ray. You would think that would make it easier.

Alpha the Blu-ray format has not offically launched yet. The thread title should have answered that for you.

Bobbler said:
So... where can I get a Blu-ray player to hook to my TV?

If you're going to be silly, you've got to try harder than that.

Japan has had a number BR devices for over a year.

mckmas8808 said:
Those were never ment to play regular retail movies though. The offical launch is next spring.

So you can actually build and sell a content format without available prerecorded media?!?!?!

Thanks for playing along. :)

AlphaWolf said:
So you can actually build and sell a content format without available prerecorded media?!?!?!

And look at the adoption rate of them so far.

Bobbler said:

You have to start somewhere. HVD is a much better product for PC than BR or HD-DVD, there's a market for the product, what they choose to do with it remains to be seen. Blu-ray and HD-DVD aren't exactly taking the world by storm yet either.

Bobbler said:

Large difference between 25GB SL BR-R's, and 300GB HVD-r's

It's not really worth $2000 for a BR-RW drive when SL discs are only 25GB and DL's are not available, or ridiculously overpriced.

Now, a 300GB disc, that's a different story, and I'd imagine they'd take the PC world by storm.

scooby_dooby said:

It's not really worth $2000 for a BR-RW drive when SL discs are only 25GB and DL's are not available, or ridiculously overpriced.

Now, a 300GB disc, that's a different story, and I'd imagine they'd take the PC world by storm.

Yep you're right because Apple, HP, and Dell are behind HVD. Oh wait...:oops:

mckmas8808 said:
Yep you're right because Apple, HP, and Dell are behind HVD. Oh wait...:oops:

Not exactly good examples to support you, those companies will support whatever people want, with no hesitation, they have nothing invested in BR or HD-DVD.

AlphaWolf said:
Not exactly good examples to support you, those companies will support whatever people want, with no hesitation, they have nothing invested in BR or HD-DVD.

My point is at least wait until these PC companies jump on the HVD bandwagon before you announce them king.

mckmas8808 said:
My point is at least wait until these PC companies jump on the HVD bandwagon before you announce them king.
:rolleyes: First someone would have to announce them king....which no one has said.

What a ridiculous argument. IF a 300GB RW drive came onto the market, do you really think PC manufacturers would NOT support it? Of course they'll support it, they'll support whatever the consumer wants.

scooby_dooby said:

I'd say it won't.

Technology and drive sizes go up rather gradually, not in huge jumps -- its for a reason. So, how many of those 300gb discs would you be buying? How many people could fill up one disc, let alone a fraction of it on a regular basis? You going to be buying stacks of 50 of them to support those companies making the discs? What is the average consumer going to fill up a 300gb disc with (DVD will be fine up until 2008-2009 as a backup/burn-and-toss format for the average consumer)? What reason is there for a normal consumer (not talking about the few cutting edge consumers that buy things like Laserdisc) to get a HVD drive and discs when there will be a suitable format out there already which will most likely be cheaper (by that time) and have a wide variety of other uses if they get one of those drives? HVD is fighting an uphill battle with no _real_ benefits to the consumer (300gb vs 25gb is not a tangible gain for 99% of people out there on a disc format for probably the next 10 years). It's too much too soon; a solution looking for a problem.

There are things a lot of you aren't thinking of... I explained it somewhat in a previous post... All I can say is just wait and see, and you'll (disappointedly) find out how successful HVD ends up being when its released.

Now don't get me wrong, I think HVD is fantastic and I'd love to have it as a standard format purely for the speed they are claiming on first gen drives (I am one of those people that are still fine with burnable CDs). But there is this gnome that sits on my shoulders and tells me things, and he says not to put any money on HVD being successful anytime soon -- Infact, the little gnome wouldn't be surprised if HVD never launched at all and was put on the back burner for a few years until the need arised.

Back