Blu-ray Disc Ready for Cost Effective Manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I looked around a little bit to see if this has been posted or not (Even used the search function :eek: ). But here it is.....seems fairly recent (says that it was posted the 31st of May)...

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=9979

Heres a chunk of the article....

emedialive.com said:
In film bonding, the development of new extruded film technology has reduced film costs. A new film product from Teijin reduces the cost of the cover film to one-third of the cost of conventional polycarbonate materials, and Degussa, a new BDA member company, projects a single-digit Euro cents per disc cost at launch. In addition to these advances in film materials, Lintec Corporation's hard coat material and film bonding process makes the film bonding method more efficient.

With the improvements in cover-layer technology, and in preparation for mass production of BD-ROM discs, Singulus Technologies, a leading manufacturer of replication equipment, has developed replication systems that will target cycle times towards three seconds.

Sony has developed equipment to streamline the disc mastering process by reducing the eleven steps currently used in DVD mastering to five for BD-ROM. This mastering process, Phase Transition Mastering (PTM), requires as little as one-fifth of the space required for DVD mastering and the equipment can be configured to allow mastering of both BD-ROM and DVD-ROM on a single system, according to the BDA. The first two commercial machines are for Technicolor and Cinram for 2005 installation.

I don't know to much about the manufacturing of blank-media but it seems like there trying to make advancments (why wouldn't they) to the speed of the creation process and finding better more cost-efficient bonding material....

Finally....it looks like their really serious about this (all the companies backing Blu-Ray, thats not to say they wheren't serious before). All of them seem to be sticking to their guns and going forward into making Blu-Ray better.

I'm really getting tired of PC-Engine. Any positive news about Blu-ray is disputed by him as "experimental", and/or "PR" and not worthy of mention.

This is the same guy who anything positive mentioned about HD-DVD is accepted as FACT, and a great victory for the HD-DVD. This is even considering HD-DVD should not even being discussed on this forum, as no console has adopted it as a drive.

He also is frequently argumentative, and overly uses emoticons to laugh at many things that people share.

No point in arguing with the guy, as he is far from reasonable.

The question is , does this work on the dual layer discs or just the single layer discs ? I was under the impression that the dual layer discs were more expensive and time consuming than the single layer and they had the most problems with that

Personally, I think Blu-ray should start with double density discs. It should be the standard from the get go.

A single layer, yes, is fine for PS3 and games but I think double layer would be good for hybrid discs containing both HD and SD versions of a movie.

well the article says that dl will be avalible at launch .

I'm asking since the article doesn't mention it , if this cut in costs affects the dl discs .

Also can these steps that were eliminated be cut from hd-dvd steps and dvd steps ?

jvd said:
The question is , does this work on the dual layer discs or just the single layer discs ? I was under the impression that the dual layer discs were more expensive and time consuming than the single layer and they had the most problems with that
Of course dual layer discs will be more expensive just like DL DVDs, but compared with HD-DVD, Blu-ray has thinner cover layers so doubling data layers is easier.

Edge said:
I'm really getting tired of PC-Engine. Any positive news about Blu-ray is disputed by him as "experimental", and/or "PR" and not worthy of mention.

This is the same guy who anything positive mentioned about HD-DVD is accepted as FACT, and a great victory for the HD-DVD. This is even considering HD-DVD should not even being discussed on this forum, as no console has adopted it as a drive.

He also is frequently argumentative, and overly uses emoticons to laugh at many things that people share.

No point in arguing with the guy, as he is far from reasonable.

Read the AVS Forum thread if you want to know the FACTs. ;) :LOL:

BTW how does it feel to not have any MOD power here? :LOL:

I don't even understand why these threads keep popping up again and again. I mean, who gives a you-know-what? It's already decided, BR will be in PS3, you either buy one or you don't, end of friggin story. If costs of making BR discs goes up or down, why the hell should we CARE?

Ask if PS3 games will be any damn good instead or SOMETHING at least remotely interesting or important...

PC-Engine said:
Read the AVS Forum thread if you want to know the FACTs. ;) :LOL:

I read those forums (well not in a couple of months) but I haven't seen you there. Seen wco81 though.

PC-Engine said:
BTW how does it feel to not have any MOD power here? :LOL:

Uh oh. Got in trouble over there too? Here, Toyotanation, and now AVS? Making the rounds, eh? ;)

What was BS about the PR anyhow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back