BitTorrent file sharing

Techno+

Regular
Hello,

I want to download a piece of software from the net (no copyright), but according to the site the only way is to use BitTorrent. Now i am a total newbie to this torrent stuff, so i read up a little on the net. but i still have a question which im asking u to answer, now bittorrent is about filesharing, so how di allocate which files i wanna share and which i dont? and does using bittorrent increase the risk of hackers, tahnx a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Just click on the file and if you have a BT distro installed it will open it up and it will automatically download.
How do you share? It's automatic.
How do you share illegal material? I don't know and I don't want to know.

Don't put it in the directory that the BT client uses to share files from. It'll only share files you tell it to.

Don't put it in the directory that the BT client uses to share files from. It'll only share files you tell it to.

If you are downloading a file, it will automatically be shared. As you are downloading the segments you don't have, the ones you do have are being shared to other clients. There's no way (short of a few hacked clients) to avoid this. This seems to be what Techno is trying to avoid.

Well bittorrent works by having the people downloading the files sharing the parts they have already downloaded with the others who is also downloading the torrent in question. You will not automatically share random stuff from your harddrive as with other peer to peer programs, just what's in the torrent that's active at the moment. Here's the wikipedia page. I'd recommend uTorrent as a client since it's small, fast and doesn't consume that much resources (and it's not banned from most trackers like some other clients).

If you are downloading a file, it will automatically be shared. As you are downloading the segments you don't have, the ones you do have are being shared to other clients. There's no way (short of a few hacked clients) to avoid this. This seems to be what Techno is trying to avoid.

I read his concerns as wanting to avoid sharing everything else on his computer.

so if i download a file, then move it from the file that BT uses for sharing, that downloaded file is no more shared right?

so if i download a file, then move it from the file that BT uses for sharing, that downloaded file is no more shared right?

When you have dowloaded 100%, you can just delete the download from the torrent-application. Or press the "stop" button of course. utorrent, as an example will share 150% of the filesize you downloaded, then after that stop sharing the file. You can always stop it whenever you want though, before and after you reach 100%, but of course a partially downloaded file is useless.

thanx guys, and i suppose the reverse of what i just said above is true? My bro has BT on his PC and he has a file called 'bittorrent downloads', guess this is the file u guys are talking about, it is also automatically by BT created i guess.

BT will ONLY share the files that you download/upload as torrents, it doesn't just share whatever is in a certain directory.

It's one of the safest P2P methods out there, so long as you're careful about what you download. ;)

does using bittorrent increase the risk of hackers
Bittorented files are divided into pieces and every piece has control sum, which means it would be very hard for a hacker to succesfully inject something nasty (assuming original seeded file contains no malicious code). Of course hacker can try upload junk to other users in order to waste your bandwith (torrent client will download piece, check it and reject it).

correct me if im wrong, if i download a piece of software ( and i have a license to do so pf course) through BT, and the download is complete, the software is shared unless the torrent file itself ( i mean the file which u download first from a website and then use to download) is deleted, right?

the software is shared unless the torrent file itself ( i mean the file which u download first from a website and then use to download) is deleted, right?

Well, after you finished downloading,you can just turn seeding of particular torrent off, you dont need to delete anything to prevent others from downloading from you
if i download a piece of software ( and i have a license to do so pf course) through BT

AFAIK, unless creator of software gave permission to distribute his work on torrent, you still may break the law. Even if you do have valid licence you still help distributing software to others who most probably don't . Its the way bittorent works - if you want to download something then you have to upload to other peers.

Back