Bitclient and memory usage

I think windows disk caching routines play a part here, as will probably the number of connections you allow the program to make; it probably allocates X kilobytes (probably quite a few) per connection, as each connection will likely be requesting a different part of the file...

possible...i played with some option and upped those and ended with this...
maybe i'll look into docs this time... 8)

EDIT :: oops..i gave it that much memory...corrected now.... ;)

silence said:
tried ABC....i took ages to recheck/hash every time i started it.
if you have 5+ torrents waiting... thats painfull.... and it kills your CPU to 100% usage while working that.

thats why i picked Bitcomet, it doesnt have to rehash when you start it again... for single DLs, BitTornado is still my #1, but since i got better conn and tried having 5 DLs in BT it simply didnt work out, 2 would work 3 would freeze.... pitty, its really good...

as i said...i would use Azureus if i could instal Java it needs, but because my bloody online banking has to use some arhaic version of Java when i try to run Azureus it says "no Java on your comp" :?

Torrentstorm was also pretty good for multiple downloads, but i have a feeling it slower then others and limited options....

For me one on major option is to limit global uploading, cause my DSL is 1.5/192 which means if i have 5-6 DLs with 3 KB/s...there goes all my bandwidth and i cant even surf around.....
I use ABC, like it much...you should play around with the latest version, came out a couple of weeks ago.

Also, consider bandwidth shaping? Use something like m0n0wall (i use it and love it) as your router, or get a linksys wrt54g and use some of the hacked firmware....
much joy.

Bandwidth shaping? I just cap upload speed to something reasonable (55k/s on my 768kbit/s upstream capacity) and go with it. No need to bog down the processor with any extra software...

Guden Oden said:
Bandwidth shaping? I just cap upload speed to something reasonable (55k/s on my 768kbit/s upstream capacity) and go with it. No need to bog down the processor with any extra software...

blah....if i had 768 upstream i wouldnt bother much.....
when i used Bit Tornado i used dialup/isdn setting instead of low speed DSL so i can get faster DLs....

Guden Oden said:
What processor? The one on my router? It's hardly being overworked - a p2 400, running at a load average of almost zero, even with heavy traffic and bandwidth shaping.

No cap, but anything I do has priority over P2P traffic. I can donwload a windows service pack at full speed while bittorrent clients are running. Its quite nice to never have to worry about the bandwidth usage of P2P clients...

silence said:
blah....if i had 768 upstream i wouldnt bother much.....
*cough* You wouldn't want to try online gaming (or even general surfing) with a BT client maxing out your upstream b/w... It's very taxing for your general mental health! :p When I first started bittorrenting I used the official client, which in those days was VERY basic and primitive. Had pretty much no config options at all, including upstream cap. Back then I had only 512kbit upstream and downstream, and BT sucked enough of that b/w that webpages timed out on me in IE when I tried to get them to load. VASTLY annoying! :p

With Bitcomet you can control disk cache size (ie RAM use) in Options -> Preferences -> Advanced/Disk Cache, in which you define Min/Max values...

silence said:
*COUGH* i have bloody 192 up on 1.5 Mbit down....tell me how annoying it can be.... ;)
I got 40 up on a 6Mbit down....my share ratios REALLY suffered for a while when I got the new cable line. :oops:

I've gotten better. I can download everything zippy quick, I just gotta let it seed for a few days. :rolleyes:

Ingenu said:
With Bitcomet you can control disk cache size (ie RAM use) in Options -> Preferences -> Advanced/Disk Cache, in which you define Min/Max values...

yap...but explorer.exe is spiking like crazy horse, giving CPU some hard time...which usually means i cant do multiple downloads and do something else normally....i hate when i type and text lags....it can be that ugly....

sometimes CPU is at 100% and its not Bitcomet, but bloody explorer.exe....

grmbl....

Back