Bitclient and memory usage

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
My Bitcomet 0.57 is downloading a single torrent. Memory usage according to Task Manager has reached almost 62mb....

Why? :cry:

I don't like bitcomet. Very annoying user interface IMO... I run azureus, and right now it uses less than 3MB memory, while javaw.exel uses almost 69MB when uploading four torrents, though I guess it would be the same when transferring just one.

Seems to be normal memory useage for these programs. Oh, I remember the good old days when I multitasked on my Amiga with 6MB RAM... :D

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Probably caching parts in memory. If you don't like it there are plenty of other clients to choose from.

Mine is a standard 300kbps adsl link and Bitcoent is configured accordingly. It doesn't need to cache that much memory.

However, I've noticed that it allocates huge amounts of disk space prior to downloading file segments. That's understandable.

I'd just like to know the reasons why it does this. No criticism.

I've been using Bitlord for months and never given me any problems, always found it very easy to use too.

How does this Azureus differ from it or ABC or other bitclients?

london-boy said:
I've been using Bitlord for months and never given me any problems, always found it very easy to use too.

Bitlord and Bitcomet are same product...i was just testing BT clients and i have few words for them...Bitlord has that "search" which i didnt like and XXX chat added to client, other then that its same program...

i was using Torrentstorm, but i found it very lacking, it usually wouldnt see seeds/leechers while Bit Tornado would (with same .torrent)....so u dumped it.

ABC is nice, but it was always doing re-checking of data when i closed it and then opened again..annoying and it usually drives CPU to 100%.....

G3...also very nice, but pretty much same story as above....

Azureus...needs JRE2, which i cant use cause idiots in bank i use for online banking have their programme working with 1.3.1 tops....

Bitspirit...didnt like...

so, for now i am using Bitcomet....it takes some 50MB with 10 filed DLing, but i have 1 GB memory so i dont care, most important feature for me is that it doesnt need to recheck hash and data every time connection breaks or i close client.....that is painfully slow and drives CPU to 100%...for long... (few days i go i had to recheck couple files..forgot which client...took 3 fucking hours (7+ GB files)...so i am sticking with Bitcomet for now)

silence said:
london-boy said:

Bitlord and Bitcomet are same product...i was just testing BT clients and i have few words for them...Bitlord has that "search" which i didnt like and XXX chat added to client, other then that its same program...

i was using Torrentstorm, but i found it very lacking, it usually wouldnt see seeds/leechers while Bit Tornado would (with same .torrent)....so u dumped it.

ABC is nice, but it was always doing re-checking of data when i closed it and then opened again..annoying and it usually drives CPU to 100%.....

G3...also very nice, but pretty much same story as above....

Azureus...needs JRE2, which i cant use cause idiots in bank i use for online banking have their programme working with 1.3.1 tops....

Bitspirit...didnt like...

so, for now i am using Bitcomet....it takes some 50MB with 10 filed DLing, but i have 1 GB memory so i dont care, most important feature for me is that it doesnt need to recheck hash and data every time connection breaks or i close client.....that is painfully slow and drives CPU to 100%...for long... (few days i go i had to recheck couple files..forgot which client...took 3 fucking hours (7+ GB files)...so i am sticking with Bitcomet for now)

Bitlord is a stolen source code used to promote XXX materials.. Cheap and stupid.

RainZ

rainz said:
Bitlord is a stolen source code used to promote XXX materials.. Cheap and stupid.

RainZ

heh...i guessed that after i DLed Bitcomet. they are 100% same program, except for BC not having that stupid search window which leads to sites infected with spyware and xxx chat and some other shit i forgot....

I like Azureus because of it's low CPU useage and how it plays nice with all me other programs whilst running, not to mention the fact that the proggy itself is just beautiful. (Once you get used to it, there is a bit of a learning curve.)

I've tried a lot of clients and some call me a bit of a torrent whore, and I swear by Azureus....it's just that good.

silence said:
rainz said:

RainZ

heh...i guessed that after i DLed Bitcomet. they are 100% same program, except for BC not having that stupid search window which leads to sites infected with spyware and xxx chat and some other shit i forgot....

Guess it's good for me cause most of the time that past of the screen just says "site not found". And i NEVER use that search function.
I search all my torrents with isohunt.com

I used ABC extensively before Azureus. It crashed frequently and would hog 100% CPU after running for a few hours. Azureus has been much more stable and co-operative. The interface is just much better all around with lots more useful info.

tried ABC....i took ages to recheck/hash every time i started it.
if you have 5+ torrents waiting... thats painfull.... and it kills your CPU to 100% usage while working that.

thats why i picked Bitcomet, it doesnt have to rehash when you start it again... for single DLs, BitTornado is still my #1, but since i got better conn and tried having 5 DLs in BT it simply didnt work out, 2 would work 3 would freeze.... pitty, its really good...

as i said...i would use Azureus if i could instal Java it needs, but because my bloody online banking has to use some arhaic version of Java when i try to run Azureus it says "no Java on your comp" :?

Torrentstorm was also pretty good for multiple downloads, but i have a feeling it slower then others and limited options....

For me one on major option is to limit global uploading, cause my DSL is 1.5/192 which means if i have 5-6 DLs with 3 KB/s...there goes all my bandwidth and i cant even surf around.....

Is Bitcomet's high memory usage result of poor programming/resource allocation?

I'm curious.

Back