Bill Gates On Xbox 360, PS3 and HD-DVD

Powderkeg said:
II think you guys are getting all hung up on an example, and are totally missing the real meat of the comment.

Wow I just realized that Bill said Managed Copy and not Mandortory Managed Copy. Did he just leave the mandortory part off because it takes too long to say or does he not mind if it's not mandatory anymore?

mckmas8808 said:
Wow I just realized that Bill said Managed Copy and not Mandortory Managed Copy. Did he just leave the mandortory part off because it takes too long to say or does he not mind if it's not mandatory anymore?

I think by this time he'd probably been talking non-stop for 14 hours and gone through dozens of interviews. Probably doesnt have any relevance at all.

mckmas8808 said:

Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't being overly anal about every single word since it was just an example, and not his point.

Will the external hd-dvd drive be used for games? From the Engadget interview:

"There's no fragmentation here. The developers are creating games that run on the DVD-9 format that's in every Xbox, and whatever we do with the drive, they'll all be upwards compatible with that. So that's how the games are written and it's a very clear message that lets game developers get huge volumes and payback for the big investments that they make."

Does this mean that game developers using the hd-dvd drive must include two versions (dvd and hd-dvd) of their game in one box?

But why? Deep in my heart I swear to god I don't want MS to do this. It's only going to split the userbase up more. Why would a publisher release a game for something only a add-on can take advantage of?

Or will they release the game on the HD-DVD side and on the DVD side for non HD-DVD add on owners?

mckmas8808 said:
Or will they release the game on the HD-DVD side and on the DVD side for non HD-DVD add on owners?

I dunno, it might work.

Simple example:

Consider a JRPG like Final Fantasy with lots of pre-rendered cutscene videos.
Stick in the DVD side, get standard def cut scene videos.
Stick in the HD DVD side, get hi-def cut scene videos.

After all, one of the biggest consumers of disk space in some types of games are videos, and generating different versions of the cut-scenes is pretty easy to do, just change your final codec settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back