Best looking action games *Spinoff from GoW3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Thats like 30-40 enemies, hardly amazing by any standart, aspecially considering the graphics vs how good the competition looks (and how well GoW 1 and 2 looked considering it was on a PS2).
heavenly sword imo looks better on all visual accounts vs the trailer and that bolsters up to thusand enemies on screen.
On all visual accounts, hmmm?
Heavenly Swords struggles to maintain a v-locked 30 frames, particularly in the section that "bolsters up to a thusand enemies on screen."
The GoW trailer was literally 20 seconds of standard gameplay in a bland environment. I would wait for a proper blowout before jumping to such strong conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
On all visual accounts, hmmm?
Heavenly Swords struggles to maintain a v-locked 30 frames, particularly in the section that "bolsters up to a thusand enemies on screen."
Get real.
The GoW trailer was literally 20 seconds of standard gameplay in a bland environment. I would wait for a proper blowout before jumping to such strong conclusions.

I agree with Ostepop, HS looks better as it stands now plus HS had HDR, 4xAA and 8xAF.

I do remember a batch of first KZ2 screens that looked particularly "ugh". ;)

Not long after that (definitely not 1.5 years) there were some noticeably better screens, but the ones that I've seen recently were even a notch better.

Viking looked as good as this one to me... it's just faaaar too early for the game, everything lacks any kind of polish at all IMHO.

Lol. Thats like 30-40 enemies, hardly amazing by any standart, aspecially considering the graphics vs how good the competition looks (and how well GoW 1 and 2 looked considering it was on a PS2).
heavenly sword imo looks better on all visual accounts vs the trailer and that bolsters up to thusand enemies on screen.

You mean those enemies that don't even have fingers, don't have mouths, eye lids, hair, or any other details beyond that of a 1st generation PS2 model? Those enemy models that are used for those scenes?

Not to mention the rag doll physics shown when Kratos tossed around about a dozen soldiers looked far better than any of the rag doll physics in HS (no offense to the HS team, wonderful game).

You're really REALLY jumping the gun, but I'm honestly used to that now, seems like it's the norm now-a-days when any new footage of a game is released.

You mean those enemies that don't even have fingers, don't have mouths, eye lids, hair, or any other details beyond that of a 1st generation PS2 model? Those enemy models that are used for those scenes?
yeah exactly like those skeletons in the GOW 3 trailer, 10 meters away and their ripcage is a black tshirt. Whats your point?
Not to mention the rag doll physics shown when Kratos tossed around about a dozen soldiers looked far better than any of the rag doll physics in HS (no offense to the HS team, wonderful game).
I wonder how you conclude that, all I see is midair corpses which dont collide with anything, corpses on the ground next to the blast dont react at all. And no "physics-enabled" objects anywhere
You're really REALLY jumping the gun, but I'm honestly used to that now, seems like it's the norm now-a-days when any new footage of a game is released.
What, cant we talk about what you see in the trailer? Its the only thing we can discuss about GOW so far.

I thought the battle with Cyclops was really impressive in terms of lighting, shadows, atmosphere, physics objects, wind and animation. But yeah, if we can see what Jaffe has seen, I doubt people would call it PS2 remapped or nonsense like that ;).

If Jaffes post at GAF is something to go by then this + 30% improvement is what he "saw" then. This + 30% more will hardly register on the scale considering how average it looks from what is shown technically and visually vs other titles out there. I guess he just got badly "burnt" by overhyping (like they usually do, sigh). ;)

If Jaffes post at GAF is something to go by then this + 30% improvement is what he "saw" then. This + 30% more will hardly register on the scale considering how average it looks from what is shown technically and visually vs other titles out there. I guess he just got badly "burnt" by overhyping (like they usually do, sigh). ;)

On the other hand, Jaffe's post was in the context of GeoW2. Now, I do think it's quite possible that Jaffe was seeing his baby all grown up and thought it's the most beautifulest adorablest thing in the world, yes it is.

What Jaffe said is totally unquantifiable. 30% what? Texture resolution? Surface shader detail? Shadow map taps? Post processing effects? Lights? Geometric detail? All of the above? Some mixture of the above? It's better to wait until GoW3 is (much) farther along in development before Jaffe is crucified or knighted and whether GoW3 is worthy of its title or a pretender to the throne (regardless of how it may actually look).

Something is wrong with your memory, go back and play those 'other titles'. They didn't look that great.

A 30% increase in overall quality "lighting, geometry etc." will surely place it above any third person action titles I've seen so far. Unnless I get enlightened by the Nebula of those "other titles" please.

A 30% increase in overall quality "lighting, geometry etc." will surely place it above any third person action titles I've seen so far. Unnless I get enlightened by the Nebula of those "other titles" please.

A 30% increase from what? GoW 2? That would certainly not reach far into current generation games. 30% increase on everything in the trailer wouldn't be particularly amazing either.

Guys, don't get personal. Oh and if you want to argue something, try to keep it light on the subjectivity. ;)

A 30% increase from what? GoW 2? That would certainly not reach far into current generation games. 30% increase on everything in the trailer wouldn't be particularly amazing either.
Obviously from the current build which has some pretty eye catching instances. Im not saying the trailer totally wowed me, but chances are even what Jaffe saw might not be close to indicate how well the gfx would look, altough a 30% direct increase would definetly shine it in the crowd.
That aside, I think the GOW team is goin for a more matted and smudged look in their texture work. It certainly resembles more to the painting strokes than the razor sharp textures in uncharted. So at a first glance it might not appear detail rich but I really think it stands out in a form of oil paint such as these two.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zzsu35.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/10h2dlg.jpg

Something is wrong with your memory, go back and play those 'other titles'. They didn't look that great.

Look my memory atleast contains several 3rd person games as opposed to blocking all of them out except bad ones (on other systems) and Sony system games (!). I wont name them here since it is not a comparision thread but just take a look around then net and you'll find several ones even some big name ones.

Having moved these posts out of the GoW3 game discussion thread, I am unable to see an intelligent line of discussion. No-one is presenting evidence for or against the quality of GoW3 versus other action titles, with the level of debate just being verbal nonsense. Subject closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back