Best looking action games *Spinoff from GoW3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be an old build. For some crazy reason some publicists do this all the time, showing poor renditions of their work. It's a shame there was prerelease hype and the content isn't being judged on what is there, instead being judged against some impossible standard from an over-enthusiastic remark. Visually it looked comparable to other action titles out there to me. The art style and attitude is all GOW which the fans will like. I hope they have got some clever rendering tech in the final version though, as that's always good to see!

Carlog Barlog did say that GOW2 used a scalable engine and that elements of it would be used for this game, so it could be that Santa Monica aren't going for a massively ambitious-looking game.

I thought it looked far better than all the other 3rd person action titles available now.
That's a very subjective comment and impossible to argue with as a result ;). Technically nothing jumps out at me as beyond the norm. Neither was there a 'looking at a painting come to life' feel, to any degree. The same assets from this trailer thrown into another engine would end up looking pretty similar I think, but that's without any real analysis, only a casual observation of the trailer.

Carlog Barlog did say that GOW2 used a scalable engine and that elements of it would be used for this game, so it could be that Santa Monica aren't going for a massively ambitious-looking game.

That would be a disappointment, though, since GoW2 was a remarkably good-looking game for the PS2. Aren't amazing graphics part of the package?

Well, when you compare a PS3 game to a PSP game, how do you REALLY expect to be taken?

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-20070827023940949.jpg

inrfog.jpg

Not even freaking CLOSE to looking like the PSP game.

I think the Kratos character models are reasonably close, especially in the pics you posted, especially if we take into account the differences in resolution.

I never said the game was bad looking, I just stated my surprise at how underwhelming it looked, when I was very much looking forward to the game.

But if you're wearing hype goggles then it probably is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Kratos character models are reasonably close, especially in the pics you posted, especially if we take into account the differences in resolution.

I never said the game was bad looking, I just stated my surprise at how underwhelming it looked, when I was very much looking forward to the game.

But if you're wearing hype goggles then it probably is amazing.

Right. The first model uses textures to define muscles, has no muscular animation, and lacks any skin detail at all beyond the very simple texture that's pasted on it (which is fine for a PSP game).

You're really REALLY reaching.

BTW, I'd say comparing a PS3 title to a PSP title is most certianly saying it's bad looking.

Seriously, I am absolutely floored as to how people can say this is 'underwhelming' with the huge market of trash out there.

TheBlackLodge: You'll probably be taking all of that back in the coming months.

This all reminds me of the KZ2 fiasco where everyone was saying "not impressed" over one screen, and now they're searching for tiny little details to troll because they don't want to eat their words.

That's a very subjective comment and impossible to argue with as a result ;). Technically nothing jumps out at me as beyond the norm. Neither was there a 'looking at a painting come to life' feel, to any degree. The same assets from this trailer thrown into another engine would end up looking pretty similar I think, but that's without any real analysis, only a casual observation of the trailer.

Is it though?

I mean, NG2 barely manages to keep a stable frame rate in most instances, while using an art style that makes the engine look dated and bland (and the lighting in that game is most certainly weaker than this).

DMC4 also had a pretty weak lighting engine, on top of some pretty boring enemy character models (potato sack enemies in different colors) while the GoW3 footage we've seen shows a great deal of enemy variation, different armor, body features, etc. while drawing may at a time (well, 10 or more, but not the same carbon copy model).

PoP looks great artistically, but technically, it looks really really...average?

Then there's the slaughter house of other action titles like Conan and Vikings that make GoW3 looks fantastic.

Frankly, I do believe this game will look rather amazing, looking at the high def stills off the PSN store can easily show you how impressive it is. That said, I think the good visuals and the scale will easily blow people away in the coming months, but I honestly hope that they don't show much until it comes out. I'd love it more if people were floored instantly when they played it.

I doubt anyone is saying its looking bad, but its certainly not a leap from current games. Models alone arent good enough to wow anyone (comparable to DMC4), animation is hard to make out in that fast moving and short clip, theres no good look at the environment (or scale thereof) and there aint alot of enemies on screen to justify the "current looking" graphics with huge numbers of enemies. It might be there but the trailer aint showing.

You might also consider that this game is still a year away... now look at the trailer and compare it to whats coming next year. Next to Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain I cant say this takes graphics a step up from current games.

It might show up as great game (Im confident it will) and the team might improve the graphics, heck maybe even they already are leap and bounds beyond the trailer and anything else. Its the trailer that everyones talking about and theres nothing impressive or groundbreaking to talk about.

And regarding KZ2, dindt see a HUGE leap in visual quality from good looking to "peerless" during the last year or so (I take you talk about old screens)?

I doubt anyone is saying its looking bad, but its certainly not a leap from current games. Models alone arent good enough to wow anyone (comparable to DMC4), animation is hard to make out in that fast moving and short clip, theres no good look at the environment (or scale thereof) and there aint alot of enemies on screen to justify the "current looking" graphics with huge numbers of enemies. It might be there but the trailer aint showing.

You might also consider that this game is still a year away... now look at the trailer and compare it to whats coming next year. Next to Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain I cant say this takes graphics a step up from current games.

It might show up as great game (Im confident it will) and the team might improve the graphics, heck maybe even they already are leap and bounds beyond the trailer and anything else. Its the trailer that everyones talking about and theres nothing impressive or groundbreaking to talk about.

And regarding KZ2, dindt see a HUGE leap in visual quality from good looking to "peerless" during the last year or so (I take you talk about old screens)?

http://i36.tinypic.com/hs59ue.png

Look in the background. Count the enemies.

Large Numbers (Dead Rising, Heavenly Sword, Kameo etc) are always impressive, but if they have the AI of a plank of wood.......

As said previously, for me (and that's just me, and well maybe my cat Charlie, he didn't seem to impressed either to be honest ;) ) that trailer doesn't impress, I have no doubt they will produce a cracking title that looks the business but at the moment, sadly......disappointed. It seems to me to be nothing more than a slightly prettier version of GoW2, nothing more, nothing less and while that will most likely be more than enough to get me to buy it (OT but GoW eats DMC and NG IMO), I want more. Selfish I know, but there it is.

I don't get this , why some of you complain about gfx ?.. Is this game gone gold , or is this footage from the final code ?.. Come on , we have graphically stunning examples like KZ2 and Uncharted 2 , and I don't think such a big franchise like God of War will look worse ... You really think Sony will let the game look worse than KZ2 or U2 ?..

I don't get this , why some of you complain about gfx ?.. Is this game gone gold , or is this footage from the final code ?.. Come on , we have graphically stunning examples like KZ2 and Uncharted 2 , and I don't think such a big franchise like God of War will look worse ... You really think Sony will let the game look worse than KZ2 or U2 ?..

I think everybody understands that this is not the final build. But there is nothing wrong with discussing the current build. I think it looks underwhelming and probably being shown too early. In fact I really don't think this title will come out in 2009.

Btw patsu, did you beat VC yet? :)

Not yet.

I am swarmed with work right now. I slowed down my pace to delay ending the game too quickly (I stayed up to rush through the game earlier on). Have been fooling around in Home and watching Blu-ray instead. I can do those things while working at the same time.

Sony might be going for 1080p or 60fps or both. We just don't know.

Lol. Thats like 30-40 enemies, hardly amazing by any standart, aspecially considering the graphics vs how good the competition looks (and how well GoW 1 and 2 looked considering it was on a PS2).
heavenly sword imo looks better on all visual accounts vs the trailer and that bolsters up to thusand enemies on screen.

Comparing a game that is out, and the most impressive section of the game at that, to a game that has 1 year to go and we have seen 30 seconds of footage from, is hardly fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back