Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually read all of your posts. And I just saw that you canceled & figured that you're such a big Sony fan that you were never really serious about your Series X pre-order in the first place. Canceling with-in days of it shipping seemed proof enough of that. If it was due to finances & a family death apologies, but your post history really doesn't make it seem like you're all that interested in actually having one.

Tommy McClain
bnmLYzj.gif

And I didn't mean to be harsh to @AzBat! I am genuinely looking forward to getting an Xbox. MY FIRST XBOX!!! :yes: I've just been lucky in having friends and good neighbours with an Xbox in the past where we reciprocated exclusive games with each other.

I've just been lucky in having friends and good neighbours with an Xbox in the past where we reciprocated exclusive games with each other.

I've got to ask this, but does the UK Public Library have any consoles that can be signed out for any amount of time?

I think that sort of thing died with the in-person VHS/DVD Video Rental places like BlockBuster or FamilyHomeVideo stores in the US.

I've got to ask this, but does the UK Public Library have any consoles that can be signed out for any amount of time?
My local library, no, but it's quite small. I've not heard of any pubic British libraries offering hardware but the UK is like the US/Canada in that local initiatives and funding can influence what is made available for patrons.

@DSoup @London Geezer Sorry guys, but I'm an Xbox fanboy & I don't think I've hidden that fact. But I do usually keep those thoughts like that to myself or shared only in private. This time I blurted it out. Was it harsh? Yep. But my thinking was if you're going to talk the talk, then you gotta walk the walk. Next time I'll stay in stealth mode.
It's cool, man. You're up front and honest about it. As long as you're conscious that although there are plenty of fanboys in gaming, not everybody thinks that way. It's just weird to us non-partisan gamers. :cool:

My Q85 2019 got an update a few days ago, but it will be a while before I can test anything probably. Pretty curious about what features will and won’t work. I discovered that despite the game doing an automatic HDR calibration at startup, GT Sport still had a setting that enables it that I up only turned on last weekend and wow, that is just amazing, made me fall back in love ...

I understand all the reasons for loving the LG series, but I am just really loving the 1300-1500nits this TV can do and while the black levels are not OLED, they seem closer than they have any right to be and the brightness is almost twice that if the LG series. So I have to wonder if the LG is always so obviously a better choice of everyone and everything ...

So I have to wonder if the LG is always so obviously a better choice of everyone and everything ...
Not for everyone and everything, just for gaming. For only watching movies, this year there are other TVs that are better according to the type of room:

The Q85 is a HDMI 2 0 TV so it only goes up to 4K 60Hz, and IIRC it also has no eARC.

Another problem with the 2019 (and I think 2020 too) QLEDs is that the local dimming processing is rather slow, so in games with HDR it cannot effectively reach the rated 1300nits because there's no time to boost the lumminance like it does with movies. In fact, in game mode the QLED max lumminance is actually lower than the OLED's for this reason.
HDTVTest did a very good explanation of that, last year:

Another problem with the 2019 (and I think 2020 too) QLEDs is that the local dimming processing is rather slow, so in games with HDR it cannot effectively reach the rated 1300nits because there's no time to boost the lumminance like it does with movies. In fact, in game mode the QLED max lumminance is actually lower than the OLED's for this reason.
HDTVTest did a very good explanation of that, last year:

Where do you get the luminance lower than OLED part? The HDTV test claims similar brightness, which granted would be a pretty big drop for Samsung. TV reviews should definitely take all the important measurements in game mode also...

Personally I don't use the game mode on my Q9FN anymore in most single player games, that is probably heresy for many, but in reality the under 60ms lag it has on 4K/60Hz mode is acceptable to me in just about anything and I prefer the better image over slightly lower lag.

There has been an issue with some models falling back in brightness after 6 minutes as well. I can safely say though that on my Q85 the brightness can’t be falling back much because it’s as bright or brighter I’ve seen in any mode. And auto game mode selection works flawlessly on the PS4 Pro - I don’t know what non standard CEC code exists for that but I think that worked even on the Ps3

I was really annoyed with my Q85R initially complaining that I did not have an eArc compatible receiver connected (which is correct). I think maybe this is being confused with Samsung having an issue that it’s own soundbar that supports eArc is not compatible with its own tvs that supports eArc.

With all these software updates it’s hard to keep track of actual facts regarding TVs these days as stuff outdates fast, bugs are fixed, new ones added, etc. And then not even the same TV has exactly the same specs across regions I think even, I’ve seen more than once that a European TV has different specs.

Definitely possible though that my TV ends up not actually supporting 120hz 4k HDR but that doesn’t seem too big a loss to me right now, as 60fps is smooth enough for me and I doubt the visual sacrifices would be worth it for me in anything. Of course it would have been nice to try that out, but the TV was already more than I was normally willing to pay for a TV but I gave myself a break due to Corona limiting spending holiday money otherwise ;).

And I could definitely see peak brightness suffering under higher frame rates, but certainly at 4k at 60fps the HDR is blindingly glorious so must be pretty good!

CX is on sale now and BF is just a couple of weeks away.

But man, thinking about waiting another year.

I don't think LG is going to make a lot of changes though, so might as well jump in and can update in 4-5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back