Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by AzBat, Aug 21, 2020.

1. wco81

Legend

I've heard that LG might not show a new series at CES.

Maybe they do it later in 2021 or not.

It's not just pandemic, they may be in a transition state to bring up fabs in China.

orangpelupa and BRiT like this.
  2. novcze

Regular

What is LFC and is it relevant to console gaming? Don't tell me it's only frame repeating in the case when fps drops below FreeSync range.

3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

LG CX & C9 Unlikely to Get Fix for VRR Gamma Issue Caused by OLED Panel

In a newsletter published by the OLED Association, LG Display has confirmed that the VRR gamma shift issue on LG OLED TVs including the CX and C9 is caused by the underlying OLED panel. While the company is investigating the possibility of introducing multiple gamma curves at lower refresh rates, the fix will be hardware/ T-Con-based, and can only be applied to future OLED TVs and not existing ones.

Thanks to Mr Barry Young, president & CEO of the OLED Association, for giving us permission to cite the newsletter which is originally found here:

https://www.oled-a.org/lgersquos-48rdquo-oled-attracting-game-monitor-buyers_9620.html

novcze and orangpelupa like this.
  4. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

So I suppose this issue applies for B9 as well?

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Good question. Like you, I suppose it would too, if it uses the same panel and offers VRR.

I wasn't even aware of it and amazingly enough it was on my suggested video list on YouTube. That's about the only time YT recommendation ever got something right.

6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Be sure to check for firmware updates for that Samsung or LG 4K HDR TV set you have if you're picking up a next-gen console.

DSoup and Silent_Buddha like this.
  7. Rangers

Legend

I'm definitely waiting. I'm in the TCL/Hisense/Vizio price range, and they all half support the spec at best, but I'm sure their 2021 models will fully support it.

I only got my TCL in 2018 anyway and I'm good with it at least another year. The HDMI 2.1 enhancements aren't that game changing really anyway. they're subtle

BRiT and AzBat like this.
  8. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I wonder what this is? What feature(s) of new Xbox could require TV manufacturers to update their TVs?

9. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/06/is-your-tv-ready-to-power-your-dreams/

Tommy McClain

BRiT and DSoup like this.
  10. DSoup

DSoup X

11. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

You were never really serious about getting a Series X, were you?

Tommy McClain

12. DSoup

DSoup X

Absolutely. I set out my situation in this post. I've already invested in a good HDMI switcher so I channel five HDMI inputs (PS5, Series X, Switch, PC, MacMini/Kodi) and have set it up. My setup is ready and I expect to pick up a Series X in Q1 2021. We've spent a lot this year and had an unexpected death in the family, the Series X would just a bit stretching right before Christmas. The way 2020 has gone, being a little stretched financially is not appealing.

Why would you say this?

chris1515 and Silent_Buddha like this.
  13. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Any PC users buying this should also invest in extended warranty.

BTW, should we expect showcases of new TV lines by LG/Sony/Sammy on [virtual] CES? I'm a bit irritated that there is not a single 49-50" 4K120 FALD that fits my needs currently. I'm going to stick with my 49X900E as PC monitor until good replacement comes out.

BRiT likes this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Users confirming LG C9 support at 120 Hz with next-gen consoles.

chris1515 and Silent_Buddha like this.
  15. Pressure

Veteran Regular

B9 also supports 120Hz.

16. dobwal

Legend Veteran

If Im not mistaken thats basically that what it is. It extends the VRR range of the display. If the display's VRR range is from 40hz to 120 hz, LFC can double up the frame rate to allow VRR to support games whose framerates fall below that range.

novcze and BRiT like this.
  17. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

May be useful for some.

"Here is a more detailed setup guide for the LG OLEDs and Xbox S/X . It is set to public, but feel free to Patreon me for a bit"
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/43750679

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  18. wco81

Legend

Unknown with the pandemic.

I hear LG may not intro new TVs at CES but may have something towards later 2021.

But there might not even be a CES!

BRiT likes this.
  19. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I don't usually read all of your posts. And I just saw that you canceled & figured that you're such a big Sony fan that you were never really serious about your Series X pre-order in the first place. Canceling with-in days of it shipping seemed proof enough of that. If it was due to finances & a family death apologies, but your post history really doesn't make it seem like you're all that interested in actually having one.

Tommy McClain

20. DSoup

DSoup X

Without being rude, this is fanboy thinking. I don't give a toss about Sony. Like Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple and Google, they are big multinational conglomerates after my money. If I like a company's product and it fills a hole/need then I'll probably buy it. I like games even if I don't get much time to play them. Not having access to one of the platform's sucks because you miss great games. What gamer wants that?

You just said you don't read all my posts, now you're citing my post history? :???: Fair enough, you obviously missed my June posts about buying a new AV cabinet big enough for PS5 and Series X, being happy that Series X will fit!, being excited for Series X even without even having games run on it. And my frustration at online storefronts when trying to pre-order a Series X. There are plenty more.

I'll be getting a Series X early next year. I already bought a HDMI switcher and installed to I can squeeze five HDMI cables on the four slots of the TV.