Best Company Vehicle ~$35k

Sage said:
PC-Engine said:
Jag is one of the most reliable cars around after FORD purchased them.

consumer reports still doesnt have a lot of nice things to say about them.

and, besides, it's now a FORD product- Fix Or Repair Daily. Also from the people who brought you the Rustang(tm).

Consumer Reports doesn't have any recommendations for Mercedes either. :LOL: ;)

PC-Engine said:
I don't see any red check marks by them. I see MANY red check marks for Lexus though. ;)

hence why i insinuated that you might not know how to read them ;)

Sage said:
PC-Engine said:
I don't see any red check marks by them. I see MANY red check marks for Lexus though. ;)

hence why i insinuated that you might not know how to read them ;)

Maybe you could save everyone from having to subscribe and post something that explains what you're describing?

Regardless your whole Lexus sucks Mercedes rules just got shot down big time. :LOL: ;)

PC-Engine said:
Maybe you could save everyone from having to subscribe and post something that explains what you're describing?

Regardless your whole Lexus sucks Mercedes rules just got shot down big time. :LOL: ;)

you need to take a look at the explanation of the ratings. basically, a check mark is a measure of that models overall reliability vs other models of THAT YEAR. ie a lexus might get a check one year and a Mercedes get an X for a different year but the Mercedes still be more reliable than the lexus.

the most important thing to look at is the details. the thing i dont like about is consumerreports is that they factor in small stuff that doesnt not affect drivability the same way they factor in important things... where Porsche Boxsters may have a lot of problems with their cupholders and not much else, a lexus may have some major problems with it's suspension... which would you rather have to deal with?

I was, at first, very adverse to Mercedes because I was scared about the same problems. But, I did my research and on the important stuff Mercedes reliability is tops.

Most of the Lexus models do not have major problems and this isn't from reading Consumer Reports, it's from reading other types of reports like recall reports.

the people I've known who owned them all ended up selling them because of reliability problems

silence said:
lets compere Alfa 156 to....Passat?
i'll go for Alfa anytime.... ;)

I'd take Alfa as well, but in terms of technical problems Alfa is pretty much the worst car there is. Helluva lot fun to drive, though.

_xxx_ said:
silence said:
lets compere Alfa 156 to....Passat?
i'll go for Alfa anytime.... ;)

I'd take Alfa as well, but in terms of technical problems Alfa is pretty much the worst car there is. Helluva lot fun to drive, though.

The 407 from Peugeot is also very fun to drive.

PC-Engine said:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ae/news/55433/japanese_cars_lead_the_pack.html

a Mercedes and a Honda are in a head-on collision, which car would you rather be in?

Ty said:
What has that got to do with reliability?

who cares about reliability if you're dead

but i still stand by the fact that these statistics are counting the number of problems, not the severity of problems. They also fail to take into account the fac that, even if the power seats on a Benz completely go poof and die, it's a MUCH more enjoyable car to be in than a Honda.

I just today accquired a PT cruiser. I believe it's an 03 or an 04, not really sure. It's base as base gets and its an absolute piece of crap. There simply is no comparrison of driving a PT Cruiser and a C320, it's not just a different experience but they should not even be referred to by the same word. of course, compare the price of the PT cruiser and the C320 and the C320 is right about 3x as expensive :p

Sage said:
PC-Engine said:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ae/news/55433/japanese_cars_lead_the_pack.html

a Mercedes and a Honda are in a head-on collision, which car would you rather be in?

If Acura made a luxury vehicle that's priced the same as the Mercedes, I wouldn't care which car in a headon collision. ;)

If I was in a headon collision I'd rather be in a Hummer whether that Hummer was reliable or not. ;)

PC-Engine said:
If Acura made a luxury vehicle that's priced the same as the Mercedes, I wouldn't care which car in a headon collision. ;)

If I was in a headon collision I'd rather be in a Hummer whether that Hummer was reliable or not. ;)

you'd be better off with a Mercedes in either case. an Acura is a Honda so I'm going to guess that they will probably shatter like glass as well.

Hummers are apparently VERY unstable cars. it's extremely easy to lose control of one and end up wrapping yourself around a tree or rolling over another car. Sure, they're pretty safe... but I dont think they're significantly safer than an S-class.

Well you said head on collision, you didn't say anything about handling/stability. If I wanted handling/performance I'd get an Elise at the expense of safety. if I wanted luxury, reliability, safety, I'd get a Lexus. The only thing Lexus lacks relatively speaking is image, but they're building that quite well considering Lexus = Toyota. Styling is subjective so I won't go into that. Anyway I saw the new GS the other day in person and it looks a lot better than the old GS's styling. It looks a lot better in person than what I've seen in pics etc.

Back