Best Company Vehicle ~$35k

PC-Engine said:
Well you said head on collision, you didn't say anything about handling/stability. If I wanted handling/performance I'd get an Elise at the expense of safety. if I wanted luxury, reliability, safety, I'd get a Lexus. The only thing Lexus lacks relatively speaking is image, but they're building that quite well considering Lexus = Toyota. Styling is subjective so I won't go into that. Anyway I saw the new GS the other day in person and it looks a lot better than the old GS's styling. It looks a lot better in person than what I've seen in pics etc.

yes but how safe it is? I dont know of any Japanese cars that are too particularly safe in a crash.

and why are you talking about handling / stability? I'm talking about collisions here. The only thing I'd rather be in during a collision would be a Maybach.... and that's still a Mercedes 8)

You seem to confuse price with crash worthyness.

I don't know of anything particular about a maybach that would make it more crashworthy than a hummer.

Sage said:
PC-Engine said:
Well you said head on collision, you didn't say anything about handling/stability. If I wanted handling/performance I'd get an Elise at the expense of safety. if I wanted luxury, reliability, safety, I'd get a Lexus. The only thing Lexus lacks relatively speaking is image, but they're building that quite well considering Lexus = Toyota. Styling is subjective so I won't go into that. Anyway I saw the new GS the other day in person and it looks a lot better than the old GS's styling. It looks a lot better in person than what I've seen in pics etc.

yes but how safe it is? I dont know of any Japanese cars that are too particularly safe in a crash.

Errrm...do you base that on facts or on feelings?

I'd advise you to take a look at this:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=4&id2=216

5/5 stars for the GS, 15/16 points for front crash, full marks for side crash.
Safe enough?

It's pretty clear that a 2500 kg car will squash a 1200 kg car like nothing, despite all the stars and ratings.

From what I know, Honda is the only series car which is already fit for the new "pedestrian-protection" crash-test regulations.

Pretty strange, I watched a crash test involving an S-class and a Smart. Full frontal impact. Believe it or not, the people in Smart would have survived in a real-world situation. I was pretty amazed.

RussSchultz said:
Or the dodge tomahawk.

I'm guessing its crashworthyness isn't so hot, though.

You mean that EVIL motorcycle-like thingy with the SRT-10 engine? AFAIK these will never make it to the market, it was just a prototype but never got green light. Would have been nice, though. The theoretical max speed would have been over 500 kmh (with some imaginery black-magic tires and all the sci-fi). I'd REALLY love to have a ride with that beast.

What pisses me off even more is that Chrysler ME412 (with AMG 12-cyl, 4 turbos and 850 hp) will never see the light of day. I heard it was stopped completely, but they've been considering the possibility to get it out with a smaller engine. Meh, all that work for nothing...

Back