Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been oogling the LG C9 for a while, but the price tag of 2500€ just been more than what I wanted to put into a tv.
Are you sure that's not the price for the 65" model?

Down here in southern europe it's ~1600€ for the 55" and ~2500€ for the 65".

The biggest difference between the two is the Alpha 9 Gen 2 processor present on the C9 besides aesthetics.
Rtings also detected a substantial difference in peak brightness in HDR mode, between the two models.
The panel might probably be the same, but the current drivers and other power electronics may be substantial better on the C9.

Rtings also detected a substantial difference in peak brightness in HDR mode, between the two models.
The panel might probably be the same, but the current drivers and other power electronics may be substantial better on the C9.

Yeah, looking at the comparison between the two, the B9 panel not only runs hotter but also has lower peak HDR brightness. So, they're likely using the lowest quality panels for the B9 series. But that said, the lowest quality 9 series panel is still going to be better than the best LCDs except in certain cases (peak HDR brightness).

Also looks like the C9's have much better out of the box color calibration. But manually calibrating them, they are roughly the same. Then again the B9 panel had slightly better color coverage but worse color gradient.

Could be panel lottery, but wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed keeping the best panels for the higher priced models. Still, for my purposes the B9 will be just fine once they drop in price.

Regards,
SB

My reasoning/logic for picking the B9 vs the C9.

1. My current TV broke a month or so a go, I have not had a TV since then.
2. I am not a big audio/video phile, but its nice to know you have the "basic" stuff you need.
3. HDMI 2.1, 4K and HDR support was important to have.

C9 seems to be like the best one in regards to my requirements, but the pricing was a bit more than I wanted to spend on a TV ( I know I am getting old, when I was younger, there would be no such issues, if the tv was like THE tv)
B9 have HDMI 2.1, 4K and HDR, it does not support HDR+, but again looking at item #2, I will probably not notice much. And the B9 is decently future proof I think with HDMI 2.1

As for the A9 vs A7 gen 2, I was unable to find any solid info about how big of an impact it has or not. I assume the Smart AI stuff needs a beefier CPU, but I am not using the smart features and the TV is not even connected to my network. So only way it can send data on my usage is if the TV hacks my wifi or sends it over the HDMI connection through the STB or PS4Pro.

So if I was really pedantic, it is the lack of HDR+ that is my pet peeve, but being realistic, I probably wont miss in practice. Because I mostly can not see a difference I assume. And this assumption is based on the fact most of the times when I read stuff here on Beyond3D where people complain about image IQ etc, I am just WTF?!?! :D

Last edited:
Oh I'm not the one with bragging rights here.
I have a 3 year-old Hisense with 5 zones of edge-lit local dimming (basically 5 vertical "bars" of different brightness levels).
And since all of us Portuguese watch pretty much everything in their original audio with subtitles, whenever I get subtitles in a dark picture I get the whole center of the frame with a lot more brightness than the rest. Because the white subtitles trick the local dimming system into thinking it's a high illuminance zone.

I.e. it sucks, and it'll be really hard to convince the wife that we should totally trade our 3 year-old 4K HDR TV with another 4K HDR TV of the same size.

I so wish I had a B9 like you guys.

A bad aspect of LG's 9-series
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4423/oled-c9-edid-limitation-regarding-hdmi-earc-pass-through

And I was planning to buy one on black friday....

Thank you for that. I just cancelled my order for the 65" C9. I recently bought a AVR with eARC support for 1550 USD (converted from NOK), so loss-less multi-channel eARC passthrough support is pretty important to me regarding XBO-X and future consoles.
I did contact LG support (in Norway) about this a couple of months back and they told me that it would not be a problem. They were wrong I guess.

Maybe I will get a mini-LED LCD or QD-OLED TV next year.

Thank you for that. I just cancelled my order for the 65" C9. I recently bought a AVR with eARC support for 1550 USD (converted from NOK), so loss-less multi-channel eARC passthrough support is pretty important to me regarding XBO-X and future consoles.
I did contact LG support (in Norway) about this a couple of months back and they told me that it would not be a problem. They were wrong I guess.

Maybe I will get a mini-LED LCD or QD-OLED TV next year.

According to that thread, there's a large eARC update coming down the pipeline for the 9 series OLEDs. LG is aware of the problem so hopefully that is something that gets fixed.

Considering that it's easy to edit the EDID information directly to enable the functionality (people are already doing this), then it should be something easy for LG to rectify.

Of course, if it's important to you (as it is to many people) and you don't want to edit the EDID information yourself, then it's definitely best to wait and see whether the eARC update fixes this issue.

Regards,
SB

According to that thread, there's a large eARC update coming down the pipeline for the 9 series OLEDs. LG is aware of the problem so hopefully that is something that gets fixed.

If LG fixes it, or make a public promise to fix it, I will buy a C9. But until that is the case I am waiting.

Oh I'm not the one with bragging rights here.
I have a 3 year-old Hisense with 5 zones of edge-lit local dimming (basically 5 vertical "bars" of different brightness levels).
And since all of us Portuguese watch pretty much everything in their original audio with subtitles, whenever I get subtitles in a dark picture I get the whole center of the frame with a lot more brightness than the rest. Because the white subtitles trick the local dimming system into thinking it's a high illuminance zone.

I.e. it sucks, and it'll be really hard to convince the wife that we should totally trade our 3 year-old 4K HDR TV with another 4K HDR TV of the same size.

I so wish I had a B9 like you guys.

I've been contemplating getting one of the newer Hisense models with 2K dimming and Quantum dot.

I've been contemplating getting one of the newer Hisense models with 2K dimming and Quantum dot.

The dual LCD ones seem pretty cool, but unless you need very high luminance or are terribly afraid of burn-in, for the price you might as well just buy a cheaper oled, like the ones from Philips with ambilight.

Well only 2 months from CES.

TV manufacturers may want to make a splash in 2020, with the Tokyo Olympics and the Euro to a lesser extent.

Considering those are prices without VAT (23% in my country), that's not all that spectacular IMO.

mini HDR rant:

what is really missing in this format is standardization of tone-mapping for maximum luminance levels of different displays or user preferences. Since HDR ties bit values with exact luminance levels, it's all about how movie/game was mastered, but if user finds it too bright it's out of luck, not to mention that detail above maximum luminance level of display is lost. Decreasing backlight is possible but this darkens whole image, so it's not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back