Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sets that will be coming in 2018-2019 that have or have added HDMI 2.1 VRR capability will be bringing more to the table than just that capability. I understand waiting for a TV with HDMI 2.1 VRR support to avoid missing out on future capability, but I think once that is available in a TV there are likely to be numerous other reasons to buy that TV based on the improved capabilities it will have aside from that.

Like what? Am I missing something? 4K120, 8K60, dynamic HDR, improvement to eARC, ALLM are all nice. But what 2.1 features are ready to be taken advantage of as soon as 2.1 becomes available by a significant chunk of potential buyers?

I mentioned VRR because it's the relevant feature for us as gamers. Also, ALLM and eARC are relevant to some of us here.

I don't see how many here need or should feel the need to go out and purchase the latest 2.1 TV at release. Almost every major feature offered by 2.1 needs more than just the port to be able to take advantage. And until that content or necessary hardware become readily available why pay an early access premium ($100s to $1000s) for the port?

Probably the most compelling features of the new 2019 TVs will be improvements that can enjoyed readily from the start. Still doesn't change the fact that it's still more financially prudent to wait if you are buying these sets solely for entertainment purposes.

If you got the disposable cash and the itch that pushes you to the latest and greatest, go for it.

But if you are waiting around for 2.1 to readily take advantage of its features especially VRR then might as wait until the content is there and take advantage of cheaper pricing.

Last edited:
Not 2.1 features. Better panel, processing, supporting tech, etc. Why wait for content that benefits from HDMI 2.1 before getting a TV that supports it if buying one earlier can give you a great experience with all content immediately and will also allow you to enjoy the benefits of HDMI 2.1 down the road?

Last edited:
Not 2.1 features. Better panel, processing, supporting tech, etc. Why wait for content that benefits from HDMI 2.1 before getting a TV that supports it if buying one earlier can give you a great experience with all content immediately and will also allow you to enjoy the benefits of HDMI 2.1 down the road?

Because it's cheaper to do so. Unless you are already the type that buys early and often, the features of hdmi 2.1 alone aren't going to provide an immediate benefit and shouldn't warrant more prudent buyers to immediately run out and buy a new 2.1 set.

Yes, if you are in the market for a better panel, processing and support tech that these 2019 sets offer then go for it.

If you are simply wanting the HDMI 2.1 features to take advantage of features like VRR then why not wait? The longer you wait the better the deals and the more content there will be.

Because it's cheaper to do so. Unless you are already the type that buys early and often, the features of hdmi 2.1 alone aren't going to provide an immediate benefit and shouldn't warrant more prudent buyers to immediately run out and buy a new 2.1 set.

Yes, if you are in the market for a better panel, processing and support tech that these 2019 sets offer then go for it.

If you are simply wanting the HDMI 2.1 features to take advantage of features like VRR then why not wait? The longer you wait the better the deals and the more content there will be.

I guess I just don't understand why someone buying a TV would just want that. Improvements are coming so quickly and moving down the price ladder so quickly that I expect an upper mid-range set bought during peak buying time over the next year or two is going to be a good investment. Gating your purchase on the presence of that one feature I get. What I don't get is gating your purchase on the applicability of that one feature when there are so many other improvements to be enjoyed.

The thing about technology is that when we finally get the "new" features, they are old and the new set of features is around the corner. So no matter how much we wait to buy the next technology, it is a race we can't win.
We might just as well never buy anything :p

The thing about technology is that when we finally get the "new" features, they are old and the new set of features is around the corner. So no matter how much we wait to buy the next technology, it is a race we can't win.
We might just as well never buy anything :p

Yeah, this sort of thinking is omnipresent in PC part buying circles, "wait until..." and almost NEVER makes any sense. There is ALWAYS something right around the corner.

Of course, in a few cases it can make sense.

Yeah, this sort of thinking is omnipresent in PC part buying circles, "wait until..." and almost NEVER makes any sense. There is ALWAYS something right around the corner.

Of course, in a few cases it can make sense.
In this case VRR is just around the corner. It makes totally sense to wait and see (compare VRR implementations, compare input lag, etc.). Need plenty of TV models for that. And we know prices are going to be very high during the first months. Premium product and all.

For next gen we don't know what kind of resolutions they are going to support (on top of 4K). Maybe ultra wide.

Bought the LG 55 B7D Oled. Glorious display. Image quality is absolutely stellar in both SDR and HDR (supports every HDR norm there is afaik). Game mode clocks in at a very resectable 21ms in both SDR and HDR. The pointer remote is great as well, and WebOS seems like a pretty cool and responsive OS. It's actually the "peasant" model of LG's 2017 tv lineup, but it sports the exact same panel+innards as the flagship models do.

Bought the LG 55 B7D Oled. Glorious display. Image quality is absolutely stellar in both SDR and HDR (supports every HDR norm there is afaik). Game mode clocks in at a very resectable 21ms in both SDR and HDR. The pointer remote is great as well, and WebOS seems like a pretty cool and responsive OS. It's actually the "peasant" model of LG's 2017 tv lineup, but it sports the exact same panel+innards as the flagship models do.

Congrats! Recommended settings.

SDR:
Technicolo expert
Gamma 2.4 if the room is light controlled
Adjust OLED to suit your light output levels
Leave everything else as is

HDR10/HLG:
Technicolor expert
Set Dynamic contrast to "low" if not already
Leave everything as is

Dolby Vision:
Cinema User
Leave everything as is

Unless you get it pro calibrated, use those above and you'll be 95% of the way there. Don't start taking people's random settings and hoping for the best. You'll very often be worse off.

I'm looking forward to the new TCL 2018's being unveiled.

Expecting the 65" model to come in around $1000...the dream TV for the poor (me).

That's still a big chunk of change for a TV....

Still holding on with my $130 LeEco, LOL. For the most part it's good, I just wonder if the input lag is really the 40ms RTings claims sometimes. Not that I can tell the difference. Just wish I could be sure.

I got the Samsung S8 phone recently, I did not realize those phones can now push 1000-1100 nits brightness (although they normally only hit this if you turn on adaptive brightness, I'm assuming it comes into play for HDR video)! Crazy. I watched a DF HDR video on it, it did look decently impressive, I guess. As much as a 5" screen can I suppose.

Do consoles support VRR or only expensive gaming cards?

For me, I would need to upgrade my AVR, which doesn't even support 2.0a. You can get AVRs for around $400-500 so the expense isn't that big of a deal. But my Denon is already a big heavy block and I don't want to hassle with having to recycle that. Almost as bad as getting rid of old big screens around where I live.

So I'd rather wait for 2.1 gear to upgrade.

Now if there was great 4K content, I would dive in but until they get more live sports and more channels like HBO with 4K HDR content, I don't feel the urgency to upgrade.

And I assume for consoles, the next gen will do much better with 4K HDR than the Pro or the X.

Do consoles support VRR or only expensive gaming cards?

For me, I would need to upgrade my AVR, which doesn't even support 2.0a. You can get AVRs for around $400-500 so the expense isn't that big of a deal. But my Denon is already a big heavy block and I don't want to hassle with having to recycle that. Almost as bad as getting rid of old big screens around where I live.

Now if there was great 4K content, I would dive in but until they get more live sports and more channels like HBO with 4K HDR content, I don't feel the urgency to upgrade.

And I assume for consoles, the next gen will do much better with 4K HDR than the Pro or the X.

The Microsoft Xbox One X and Xbox One S now support FreeSync™ 2, and Xbox One will support FreeSync™ technology. Enabled in the console’s menu, players will experience FreeSync™ with an HDMI™ connected FreeSync™ capable display

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...s-tear-free-gameplay-beyond-pc-support-radeon

But those consoles don't even have HDMI 2.1 yet.

You *really* haven't been paying attention. The fact that Xbox One X would support HDMI 2.1 VRR was part of the initial Digital Foundry reveal.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the HDMI consortium just adopted AMD's Freesync over HDMI specification to use as the basis of the HDMI 2.1 VRR spec, 2.1 VRR perhaps being a superset of that spec. This would make the ability for MS to support HDMI 2.1's VRR feature on the X (and maybe on the S and OG One as well?), make a lot more sense.

There must be someone you know who would be happy to have it. That's what I do when I upgrade my A/V gear. Re-purpose it or pass it on.

Netflix has tons of 4K HDR content as does Amazon Prime Video. Cable/satellite are dipping their toes into 4K and live streaming TV services are getting it this year. There is more and more HDR gaming content all the time thanks to all but the OG One supporting it.

I just don't see the point of waiting for "HDMI 2.1 content" to buy HDMI 2.1 gear if that HDMI 2.1 gear can, distinct from it's HDMI 2.1 capabilities, make existing content look great by virtue of the better display tech that will likely come along with the HDMI 2.1 capability.

I'm waiting for 4K HDR content.

Netflix and Amazon has some good shows but not in a hurry to watch those in 4K. Sports would be something else.

HBO released UHD Blu Ray discs of Westworld season 1 so if they have a delivery medium, they might not be too far from 4K themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back