Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yikes, it doesnt look good when they are trying to erase any mention of dolby vision off their current product pages.

can always take them to court for a class action suit, likely only the lawyers would get anything tho.

Or they didn't expect people to demand DV and maybe weren't planning to license it. But especially for what they were charging for the ZD9, they had no choice.

Well I never staked all my chips on DV to begin with when I got my ZD9, it's always been a HDR10 experience for me for the bulk of its purchase and it does it to spades. DV is only icing on the cake and I wont be shelling out hundreds on a dedicated DV player any time soon either. That been said I still think Sony kinda rushed things a bit with their DV announcement which might hurt their public image a bit, but hey it's nothing out of the norm for big corporations.

HDR10+ is becoming more and more unnecessary for LG. Next to ActiveHDR LG seems to have another interesting format with TechnicolorHDR.This seems to be a "game changer" for HDR-TVs and HDR tone mapping which is not only limited to HDR content but should always offer a correct picture.

"Advanced HDR by Technicolor" to the rescue . . . See points 1 & 2. More details coming February 2nd.

"Technicolor Advanced HDR" is a combination of "Technicolor HDR ITM" (Intelligent Tone Management) – which up-converts SDR content to HDR – and "Technicolor HDR" – which simultaneously distributes HDR and SDR content through one single 8 bit stream. This is significant. This is the future.

1. Content will look as the director or colorist intended, regardless of format or display peak luminance.

2. Adapts to any workflow, content, or display peak luminance on a frame-by-frame basis.

3. Allows a broader array of content and is not limited to native HDR content, and will include live broadcast and existing libraries. ( Hello HLG )

4. It will save the industry millions of dollars in infrastructure because there will be no need for a separate delivery system.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...eneral/2888345-2018-lg-oled-tv-rumors-33.html

Technicolor is used almost everywhere in postproduction. This is apparently neither a simple HDR format nor a simple HDR conversion. The new mode is supposed to offer a dynamic tone-papping for any source whether SDR or HDR and uses a kind of database from the postproduction which is probably already stored in the HDR-productions and adapts it to the display possibilities. How this will work is to be explained at the official presentation in early February.

EDIT:

The Technicolor picture mode and Technicolor SDR/HDR adjustment for all sources are different things. The SDR/HDR thing is also coming for the TVs from 2017.

Last edited:
HDR10+ is something Samsung is pushing because apparently they don't want to license Dolby Vision.

If Dolby succeeds in getting enough content makers to license DV for discs and streaming, I don't know how Samsung would hold out, unless supporting HDR10 automatically means that content will be enhanced by HDR10+.

I think hdmi 2.1 includes something about dynamic meta-data so some open standard to match Dolby vision is coming anyway. To be honest i'd rather see good open standards than Dolby shit.

I read a story about a person having a seizure playing vr. I wonder how much worse hdr could be for triggering certain types of seizures based on light sensitivity.

Haven't been keeping up on tv prices but Best Buy currently has the 55" B7 on sale for $1599. New models due out in the next few months so I expect some sales to get rid of current inventory.

No HDMI 2.1 for 2018 from LG so might as well take advantage of current model sales.

Last edited:
I agree that it's good. I just prefer open standards to licensed ones.

What makes HDR10+ open?

It's being pushed by Samsung. They don't charge a per unit royalty but they will charge annual administration fee.

Dolby is 12-bit, HDR10+ is currently 10-bit and really needs HDMI 2.1.

Dolby is hand encoded by professional colorists while HDR10+ makes some promises about programmatically encoding scenes.

What makes HDR10+ open?

It's being pushed by Samsung. They don't charge a per unit royalty but they will charge annual administration fee.

Dolby is 12-bit, HDR10+ is currently 10-bit and really needs HDMI 2.1.

Dolby is hand encoded by professional colorists while HDR10+ makes some promises about programmatically encoding scenes.

It's open because Samsung can't stop anybody from going through an alternative path to offering HDR10+. You just can't use their logo or their cert process.

The cert process, logo and administration fee is just a way to ensure quality, offer a way for consumers to easily recognize which devices offer that quality and alleviate Samsung from eating all the cost by itself.

Last edited:
So, I’m going to be in the market for a TV in the next month or two. I don’t need 4K but I do want HDR. Obviously most HDR TVs are 4K so I’m SOL on that.

Someone just mentioned a $1599 deal. I hate the thought of spending on a TV but I realize if I pay a bit more I can somewhat future proof my purchase.

Anyway, thoughts on a manufacturer or model that isn’t museum quality but not going to catch fire and burn my house down?

If you want HDR you’re gonna have to get a 4K set anyway. By now there should be some really good deals around. TLC seem to be releasing some impressive and affordable sets. Lower tier Sony or Samsung should do too.

If you want HDR you’re gonna have to get a 4K set anyway. By now there should be some really good deals around. TLC seem to be releasing some impressive and affordable sets. Lower tier Sony or Samsung should do too.

I figured about the 4K but wondered if maybe there were one high end 1080p.

TLC. Never heard of them. I’ll sniff around what they do.

Thanks!

Which one?

And is it TCL, not TLC?

Yes, it's TCL. The P series 55". There are two variants, one exclusive to Amazon (55P607) and the other exclusive to Best Buy (55P605). The Amazon model has a better remote. Other than that they are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back