Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Apr 29, 2017.

1. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

yikes, it doesnt look good when they are trying to erase any mention of dolby vision off their current product pages.

can always take them to court for a class action suit, likely only the lawyers would get anything tho.

2. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

They were only ever advertised as DV ready “with a future firmware update”. So not a much grounds for a legal case. Also, ain’t nobody got time for that.

RancidLunchmeat likes this.
  3. wco81

Legend

Or they didn't expect people to demand DV and maybe weren't planning to license it. But especially for what they were charging for the ZD9, they had no choice.

BRiT likes this.
  4. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Well I never staked all my chips on DV to begin with when I got my ZD9, it's always been a HDR10 experience for me for the bulk of its purchase and it does it to spades. DV is only icing on the cake and I wont be shelling out hundreds on a dedicated DV player any time soon either. That been said I still think Sony kinda rushed things a bit with their DV announcement which might hurt their public image a bit, but hey it's nothing out of the norm for big corporations.

5. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

HDR10+ is becoming more and more unnecessary for LG. Next to ActiveHDR LG seems to have another interesting format with TechnicolorHDR.This seems to be a "game changer" for HDR-TVs and HDR tone mapping which is not only limited to HDR content but should always offer a correct picture.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...eneral/2888345-2018-lg-oled-tv-rumors-33.html

Technicolor is used almost everywhere in postproduction. This is apparently neither a simple HDR format nor a simple HDR conversion. The new mode is supposed to offer a dynamic tone-papping for any source whether SDR or HDR and uses a kind of database from the postproduction which is probably already stored in the HDR-productions and adapts it to the display possibilities. How this will work is to be explained at the official presentation in early February.

EDIT:

The Technicolor picture mode and Technicolor SDR/HDR adjustment for all sources are different things. The SDR/HDR thing is also coming for the TVs from 2017.

#985 Jupiter, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    BRiT likes this.
  6. wco81

Legend

HDR10+ is something Samsung is pushing because apparently they don't want to license Dolby Vision.

If Dolby succeeds in getting enough content makers to license DV for discs and streaming, I don't know how Samsung would hold out, unless supporting HDR10 automatically means that content will be enhanced by HDR10+.

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

I think hdmi 2.1 includes something about dynamic meta-data so some open standard to match Dolby vision is coming anyway. To be honest i'd rather see good open standards than Dolby shit.

milk and temesgen like this.
  8. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

After some good enthusiast outrage (works sometimes!) Sony has said they will step up and fix the DV issue. News in a few days.

#988 RobertR1, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    ultragpu, orangpelupa, Grall and 3 others like this.
  9. Scott_Arm

Legend

I read a story about a person having a seizure playing vr. I wonder how much worse hdr could be for triggering certain types of seizures based on light sensitivity.

10. dobwal

Veteran

Haven't been keeping up on tv prices but Best Buy currently has the 55" B7 on sale for $1599. New models due out in the next few months so I expect some sales to get rid of current inventory.

No HDMI 2.1 for 2018 from LG so might as well take advantage of current model sales.

#990 dobwal, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  11. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Dolby shit is actually pretty good.

London-boy likes this.
  12. Scott_Arm

Legend

I agree that it's good. I just prefer open standards to licensed ones.

bunge likes this.
  13. wco81

Legend

What makes HDR10+ open?

It's being pushed by Samsung. They don't charge a per unit royalty but they will charge annual administration fee.

Dolby is 12-bit, HDR10+ is currently 10-bit and really needs HDMI 2.1.

Dolby is hand encoded by professional colorists while HDR10+ makes some promises about programmatically encoding scenes.

CSI PC and London-boy like this.
  14. dobwal

Veteran

It's open because Samsung can't stop anybody from going through an alternative path to offering HDR10+. You just can't use their logo or their cert process.

The cert process, logo and administration fee is just a way to ensure quality, offer a way for consumers to easily recognize which devices offer that quality and alleviate Samsung from eating all the cost by itself.

#994 dobwal, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  15. bunge

Regular Newcomer

So, I’m going to be in the market for a TV in the next month or two. I don’t need 4K but I do want HDR. Obviously most HDR TVs are 4K so I’m SOL on that.

Someone just mentioned a $1599 deal. I hate the thought of spending on a TV but I realize if I pay a bit more I can somewhat future proof my purchase.

Anyway, thoughts on a manufacturer or model that isn’t museum quality but not going to catch fire and burn my house down?

16. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

If you want HDR you’re gonna have to get a 4K set anyway. By now there should be some really good deals around. TLC seem to be releasing some impressive and affordable sets. Lower tier Sony or Samsung should do too.

bunge likes this.
  17. bunge

Regular Newcomer

I figured about the 4K but wondered if maybe there were one high end 1080p.

TLC. Never heard of them. I’ll sniff around what they do.

Thanks!

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

TLC has one of, if not the best model year 2017 performance/price sets around.

London-boy likes this.
  19. bunge

Regular Newcomer

Which one?

And is it TCL, not TLC?

20. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Yes, it's TCL. The P series 55". There are two variants, one exclusive to Amazon (55P607) and the other exclusive to Best Buy (55P605). The Amazon model has a better remote. Other than that they are identical.

BRiT likes this.