Battlefield 3 announced

Unlocks are fine IMO, although there are some unlocks which seem to take forever to get to (first 10 kills to get the 12x scope on the SV98 were a pain) and some which will probably make it much easier (straight pull bolt on the SV98), but it is good to have something to work for to try to encourage you to try more of the game.

I think Dara O Briain summed up my thoughts best: http://youtu.be/yKIiUsbOO24?t=3m53s

Judging by the hours I've put into BF1942, BF2, BF2142 and BF2:BC2, chances are quite good I'll be playing BF3 for a long time, and I'd much prefer having access to at least a good starting set of weapons and gadgets instead of the limited starter line-up we have now.

Why no res for assault/med to start with? Where is a laser tag/dart to help engineers target planes/tanks/boats? C4 for recon? To me this is part of the base game that allows for better teamwork and as such should be available from the get-go.

As for BF1942 needing to buy expansions to get proper weapons/fun games, bollocks. The base set was just fine, perhaps some of the required a bit training to get full use of, but it was still good enough.

Of course, I'm loving BF3 despite all the minor annoyances, as it's a gorgeous game with good game mechanics.

You barely need to play to get the most useful of the kit unlocks (supply, respawn, heal, revive, rpg). You start with good weapons, and get the most critical kit upgrades within a few hours of playing. After that, it's all gravy.

The vehicle unlocks are different. They should have at least given the flares for free, because it can be hard to get even a few hundred points in a jet if you don't have anything like that. People target planes quickly, especially other planes with all the gadgets.

The vehicle unlocks are different. They should have at least given the flares for free, because it can be hard to get even a few hundred points in a jet if you don't have anything like that. People target planes quickly, especially other planes with all the gadgets.
Yeah I don't even mind the ground vehicles that much because it's easy to get a few kills/captures and unlock the basics. But in the air, it's extremely difficult to get kills/points when you have a stock plane with no heat-seekers or flares... you're just a sitting duck and you will die over and over until you basically get lucky.

Heads up Nvidia users, the newly released 285.79 Beta drivers fixes the issues reported on DX10 GPUs, and improves performance on both DX10 and DX11 GPUs(well, at least according to the release notes)

Thanks! The release notes explicitly list the exact problems I was having. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Anyone tried the Nvidia beta drivers yet?

I am downloading will let you know how it goes. I expect these drivers to deliver a consistent +500 points per round. If not I will be dissatisfied and whine all over internet messageboards.

I've been playing with them tonight. Have to say I didn't notice any difference, but then again I didn't get any crashes for the hour or two I played, so maybe they are doing something. The lock-ups I've been experiencing have been very intermittent though.

I did have one 'disconnected from EA Online' again today. Only started doing that for me since the latest server patch.

The corrupted shadows are definitely gone on my GTX260. And I don't have to use that console command to get rid of the stuttering. As far as driver updates go this is a good one.

Okay, on the mission "Comrades" are there supposed to be two guys in the car with you? Only one guy (the driver) is in there with me but there seems to be another "ghost man" in the front passenger seat. I didn't notice the first time I played the mission, and after a firefight I got stuck apparently waiting on some friendly NPC to open a door but he never came. I think it is the invisible ghost man that I'm waiting for. This is a horrible glitch in my game that prevents me from going any further. :cry:

Seriously guys wtf? Now both of the dudes have disappeared.

Apparently I'm not the only one.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111102043308AAxKyf0

Alright how about this. I fixed it by loading another mission and then reloading Comrades. But now it will only let me select Easy difficulty. I was like half way through it on Normal when it glitched on me. Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, in general, yes... but the J10 (BF2), basic MEC medic gun (BF2), Carl Gustav(BFBC2) shows they're not infallible. These things were just win machines that in the first two instances unbalanced the teams, and in the third reduced many matches to something resembling a slow version of quake 3 - which isn't really what a lot of people wanted from a BF game.

Shouldn't you be saying that you like the way things are now instead of questioning the unlock system? Wouldn't you be just another Joe suggesting a random modification? :p

dice sucks at playing thier own game.
they cant then be trusted to give proper feedback or adjust balance due to bad judgement calls during the gamedesign which is evident so evident in their game.

The UI is at best laughable, 2 years making a UI and it isnt even done from a players perspective? its hard to see any contrast and not easy to use/navigate, minimap well dice is so far away from good design its terrible.

I wouldn't agree with the vehemence of your argument at all. I don't think DICE have had a perfect balance in their games I've played, but then again show me a reasonably complicated multiplayer shooter that has. My point was that they will be offering us the option with BF3 to alter gameplay balance ourselves, like we could with older games like UT2004 with the mutators.

The UI is not great at all. For me it seems they were far more concerned with aesthetics than usability, although it is functional. Laughable at best? No, sorry. People use it and people win with it. It could be better, much better, but it's not actually broken. There are elements which are bugged, but the thing as a whole is usable at least.

It's pretty obvious that the problem DICE faced was EA telling them that they were competing with COD and needed it out of the door a week or two before COD MW3 released. Having said that; given the alternative of playing a buggy game as of the end of October, and playing a much less buggy game mid-December, I would go for what we have had. I still love playing it. Despite its issues it is my number one choice when I sit down to play a game, and that's comparing it to other great and fun games on my hard drive with no noticable bugs.

Speaking of bugs. I've found a new one that's affected me a couple of times in the last two days. My camera suddenly goes to kill-cam, but on my character. I can move, run around, jump, shoot etc. only with no HUD and a fixed camera on my guy.

Speaking of bugs. I've found a new one that's affected me a couple of times in the last two days. My camera suddenly goes to kill-cam, but on my character. I can move, run around, jump, shoot etc. only with no HUD and a fixed camera on my guy.

Isn't this the same as external camera for vehicles? I believe that an external player-camera is available in P4F as well.

I also noticed since the last patch that my killcam will sometimes be stuck with my last weapon zoom.. so sometimes my killcam is in IRNV.

Ah, I've always had that one.

Not sure that we're meant to have an external view when we're on foot, as we are with vehicles in non-HC servers. Felt more to me like kill-cam was activated with myself as the target. As I didn't then die (no revive timer running down) it just stayed there.

It is worth noting that I cannot bind any of the extra buttons on my IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.

Solved by turning on "Raw Mouse Input".

dice sucks at playing thier own game.
Meh, players make awful designers in most cases. If you think you can do better, definitely go make a mod or something; there are plenty of easy tools around these days. I think you'll find that your idea of what makes a good, balanced game isn't the same as everyone else's ;)

What's the deal with the Javelin? It doesn't seem as powerful as the standard RPGs. Is it just that it locks on to vehicles? Also, will it lock on to aircraft with the aid of the SOFLAM?

What's the deal with the Javelin? It doesn't seem as powerful as the standard RPGs. Is it just that it locks on to vehicles? Also, will it lock on to aircraft with the aid of the SOFLAM?

Yeah it will. Im not sold with the Javelin either. Sometimes it seems to hit hard but its performance is kinda erratic.

Back