Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4,XO]

I am guessing it will be UE 3.5 with heavy tessellation, particle lighting and reflections (closer to the Samaritan demo). Maybe even see some physical based rendering? the trailer sure looked like it's using some elements that are similar to the Infiltrator demo.

Trailer was multi-million dollar CGI from Blur. Dont look too deep into it.

This was announcement trailer for Arkham City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w&hd=1

Too bad then, I thought they did something different this time and perhaps made pre-rendered scenes using assets from UE4/3. I should stop my wishful thinking in graphics. Things are never going to advance that fast.

We will get these kind of visuals in the next generation when they cram 10+ TF of processing power in them.

Im a little surprised that they arent releasing on the 360 and PS3 as well, development budgets are so big these days it might be risky selling to a userbase of just 12-15 million instead of well over a 100 million. Its good because they can go all in, and it will help push people from the 360/PS3 to the next gen consoles, but it may struggle to make money if this years holiday lineup has a lot of really good games for both PS4 and X1.

Ehh, some of the sales are already showing a frightening dominance for PS4/X1. The Thief game for example, was revealed to have sold 75% on PS4/X1 in the UK. Now give a few more months for next gen to build by the time this comes out...

I think you probably need a REALLY BIG game, with a corresponding needy budget, to reach into the slumbering consumer zeitgeist and tap that vast reservoir of PS3 360 hardware at this point. In other words some guy who just owns a 360 at this point, might buy a GTA game but likely wont much notice anything less. Something like a GTA or at worst an Assassins Creed. Holiday 2014 I expect will be the last where anything's cross gen.

I love the decision to go next gen only, the sooner all games do this the better imo. I also think it's really smart marketing move, really really smart, with a small window of opportunity. This is the point in a gen you can make a mark for yourself on visuals alone, and possible even establish a new franchise without needing a huge budget, simply by pushing visuals and making people's mouths drop when nobody else is yet (in a short time, all the big budget Creed's and COD's will be doing it too, so you wont be able to differentiate like this for long). Not saying Batman is that game, I'll have to see gameplay. Because this:

- Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.

Basically says "we're UE3.5 and we dont want to admit it". To me, even though that may not necessarily matter to the visuals.

This is the one game that will make me finally buy an XB1. Problem is finding how to pay for it. Don't want to pay more than $400 for the console AND Kinect. Might have to wait another year. Either way this will definitely be the 1st game I buy for the system. Next game will be Halo 5 or Red Dead Next-Gen.

Tommy McClain

The digital version of Game Informer was on iPad this morning. From a quick peruse of their cover article:

1. Arkham Knight takes place in a new 'central area" of Gotham City, spread across three islands. The map area is about five times larger than Arkham City.

2. The game takes place a while after Arkham City. The Joker's death has resulted in plummeting crime then new villains emerge and threaten Gotham, which is evacuated. Only criminals remain behind.

3. At any time there are between 3 and 4 as many thugs active in Knight as there were in City. Some riots feature as many as 50 thugs smashing up store fronts.

4. Quoting the article verbatim: The lack of cross-generational technical restrictions allow the team to shoot for the level detail seen in pre-rendered scenes. "At the beginning, we started making characters that were about three of four times the polygon count and texture sizes of Arkham City," says says lead character artist Albert Feliu. "As we kept going with every character we just pushed it more. It's the kind of thing that sounds insane. Like one character is as big as the polygon count if Arkham Asylum, the whole environment".

5. The Batmobile is the only vehicle Batman will drive in Arkham Knight. You can summon it with a single button and it can do burnouts, jumps, boosts and even spin in circles.

A ton of stuff in the article, loads of screens (all look great) and naturally, they liked the demo! Roll on lunchtime when I can read it properly.

hub-bg_aknight-v0.jpg

Visual looks OK for a native next gen title, a bit disappointing it's still UE3.xx tho but oh well it's a Batman game so gonna day one this. Can't wait for a gameplay trailer.

Fine maybe it's a little better than I initially thought, character models are fairly detailed but no sign of SSR. Tons more ingame screens here.
ModEdit: fhqwhgads material

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw pictures, they are very nice. But more than anything I want to see how story will wrap up and will they ever introduce other DC Superheroes.

I find the notion of 'native next gen game' running on a 10 year old engine a bit ironic, especially when the new version of the same engine is being sold as being a lot more efficient to work with - regardless of whether the final result would look better or not.

Yeah new UE has arrived, but AK started its production more than 2 years ago. UE4 will become commonplace with games only 1-3 years from now.

One of those game series I bought all entries but put down each game after few hours as I did not get into it.

I wonder if I need to play the other games to enjoy this one...and I do wonder if I like the game this time.

I find the notion of 'native next gen game' running on a 10 year old engine a bit ironic

Naughty Dog have already said they are using their engine developed from PlayStation 3 for their PlayStation 4 games. And if you think about it, there haven't been any really huge paradigm shifts in graphics technology that require writing the entire engine. Many engines are built with extensions/customization in mind.

I find the notion of 'native next gen game' running on a 10 year old engine a bit ironic

Naughty Dog have already said they are using their engine developed from PlayStation 3 for their PlayStation 4 games. And if you think about it, there haven't been any really huge paradigm shifts in graphics technology that require writing the entire engine. Many engines are built with extensions/customization in mind.

I understand but my main point is the fact that in theory, UE4 streamlines the whole production and makes it easier and faster to get a game up and running. Of course I didn't think about when this new Batman started production.

I understand but my main point is the fact that in theory, UE4 streamlines the whole production and makes it easier and faster to get a game up and running. Of course I didn't think about when this new Batman started production.

Yes, however the dev house is already well versed with their own production pipeline and heavy customizations after 6 years. Switching over to UE4 would mean rewriting the same stuff that they already have made in UE3, so what would be the point?

i.e. If their production pipeline isn't already streamlined after so many years, how would a completely new pipeline in "another" engine help :?: It would just incur delays relearning & retooling for their needs.

---

Also, one doesn't need a whole engine upgrade to add checkbox graphics features seen in other iterations. That's the whole point of the modularity. ;) There's going to be a lot more involved there with what the art and technical directors want.

Yes, however the dev house is already well versed with their own production pipeline and heavy customizations after 6 years. Switching over to UE4 would mean rewriting the same stuff that they already have made in UE3, so what would be the point?

i.e. If their production pipeline isn't already streamlined after so many years, how would a completely new pipeline in "another" engine help :?: It would just incur delays relearning & retooling for their needs.

---

Also, one doesn't need a whole engine upgrade to add checkbox graphics features seen in other iterations. That's the whole point of the modularity. ;) There's going to be a lot more involved there with what the art and technical directors want.
Yes, as I said I didn't know when this new game actually started being made, and if I'm honest I don't even know whether UE4 is actually out and ready to be used. :smile:

mm... do have to wonder if the tools are complete. It's a bit strange when you think about how long ago Fortnite was announced, but ultimately Epic has to make the engine for their own in-house games (just like UE3 was very well tied to Gears of War/UTIII). Switching over for an experienced dev may just not be needed or practical for any sequels done by the original team, if you get my meaning. :)

I guess we'll see what happens afterwards for Rocksteady since there are licensing issues involved here still, which may mean a new license & UE4 or... maybe they'll just keep working on what they're familiar with and keep modifying it, not unlike how the Splinter Cell series was based on the back bone of UE2 or how the Call of Duty engine has changed since Quake 3. *cough*

Back