Basic Overclocking question on an Athlon 64 3200+

Rainz if you are increasing the fsb, unless you have a agp lock you are overclocking your video card as well. That could explain artifacts eh?

Sxotty said:
Rainz if you are increasing the fsb, unless you have a agp lock you are overclocking your video card as well. That could explain artifacts eh?

I said that a few days ago, it seems he knows his AGP is out of spec.

rainz said:
W/o cpu clock multiplier and w/o lock for the speed on the AGP bus it's the problem. at 220mhz my AGP bus is around ? ~75mhz ? I'm prolly lucky at this speed.

RainZ

fallguy said:
Here is 230FSB for me,

230FSB.jpg

I can do more, but havent played with it much yet. I just got this setup last Friday, and the stock bios doesnt allow you to change multipliers. There is another out that does... but I havent tried the beta one yet. I can boot at 235FSB, but it wasnt 100% stable. I believe I can get it to do more, and stable once I play with it more, and can change the multiplier.

What's your motherboard ? Where's the " beta bios " ? Dunno if you talk about the same bios/board .. cause on the official site for my board we can download the " beta " files and there's nothing about a beta bios.

Thx

EDIT: You talk about the Crystal for the clock multiplier ? Kinda risky to play with this in Windows .. And there's a new version 3.5.7

RainZ

My board is a Chaintech VNF, with the nForce3 250 chipset. The beta bios is out, and you can lower the multiplier. I havent done it yet, mainly because I tried it once and it wasnt that stable for me. Would only boot 1 out of about 5 times, it just hung at the BIOS screen.

fallguy said:
My board is a Chaintech VNF, with the nForce3 250 chipset. The beta bios is out, and you can lower the multiplier. I havent done it yet, mainly because I tried it once and it wasnt that stable for me. Would only boot 1 out of about 5 times, it just hung at the BIOS screen.

we were able to lower the multiplier too with the Via in an old version of the Bios. Where is it now ? :?

RainZ

My stock multiplier is 11x. With the beta bios out, you can change the multiplier down, but not up. Like all other boards.

I like it very much. It was very easy to setup, and get going. Very fast board, with tons of options. I got mine for $77.. hard to beat that. The only thing I dont like, is that it reports the temps wrong, and doesnt have the option to change the multiplier. Both of which will be fixed in the next official bios, the Chaintech rep said. There is a beta bios out that fixes them both now.

Fallguy you saw the options on the Abit KV8-Max 3 ? we can modify everything and set the clock multiplier higher than 11.. ! I'll prolly buy this one this summer i think.

RainZ

The option for setting the multiplier higher is there, but it wont stock. All retail A64's are multiplier locked from going up as far as I know. Theu can go down, but not up. I have an option for 14x, but its not going to work. While the FX's are not.

fallguy said:
The option for setting the multiplier higher is there, but it wont stock. All retail A64's are multiplier locked from going up as far as I know. Theu can go down, but not up. I have an option for 14x, but its not going to work. While the FX's are not.

You cant go up on any A64 ?? If so that's pretty sad.. :oops:

RainZ

rainz said:
fallguy said:

You cant go up on any A64 ?? If so that's pretty sad.. :oops:

RainZ
It's not like you're actually missing something. All A64 so far (including the FX) are pretty poor overclockers anyway, that meager 10% they'll overclock usually (sometimes less, for more you probably need some sub-zero cooling) you can just get as well with "fsb" overclocking...

Back