Basic Overclocking question on an Athlon 64 3200+

jvd said:
mczak said:
rainz said:
Never said it was THIS ONE .. Just cause i saw this while reading the review of my new mobo. ( and ya i saw 3Ghz Athlon 64 )
And I bet if it was running at 3Ghz it did use LN cooling!

no many people are hitting 2.8-3ghz on just liqud.
linky?
Alot of people are getting around 2.6-2.7 on air and with the new 120mm heatsink you will most likely see alot more people hitting it. Its really the ram thats the problem .
Can't you change the ram divider? I thought that ought to be possible.
Though I'll admit it looks like those CG-steppings are indeed quite decent overclockers. btw your 3000 @ 2.5Ghz, at what voltage/cooling is that?

mczak

Hey i don't have a link but if you go read the forums at amdmb.com and overclockers.com (some mabye even at procooling) you will find many of them. Its becoming more and more commen as the new stepings hit

btw your 3000 @ 2.5Ghz, at what voltage/cooling is that?

Its not in a caes yet. Its on my table with an oem cooler and a house fan blowing on it. its running at about 35c . It will be in a watercooling rig once i get my new lanboy case . The voltage is 1.75 right now.

I wont be able to keep it at that speed as my ram wont do more than 215 . We have a golden sample 256 meg dimm that will do 290mhz :oops: that we only use to stress the chips and see what we can do .

As for changing the ratio of the ram yes u can.

But would u rather have a 2.8ghz athlon 64 with 200mhz ram or a 2.7
with 250mhz ram.

The faster ram will win all the time

I PM someone on teamradeon ... he has the same cpu/mobo and overclocked at 2.4Ghz .. i asked him how and if it was easy .. here the answer.

"It was an easy overclock, I set the HT to 4x, the fsb to 240 and the ram to 166 (with the fsb at 240, the ram runs at 200). My ram is set to cas 2, 3,3,10.
It runs fast and rock stable with these settings. "

166mhz RAM at 240mhz bus = 406mhz ram ? and do you have to set anything specific for the ram beside the 166mhz ?

I should copy this since my ram suck ? But i'll not copy his timing as well.. ? Sounds good ?

Aal, fallguy or someone !

Thx

RainZ

Back