Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

I could be wrong on this but I believe Gonzalo and Prospero are the codenames for the entire SoC and Ariel and Oberon for the iGPU itself: ie (Gonzalo with iGPU Ariel and Prospero with iGPU Oberon)

So maybe Ariel was initially 1.0GHZ before going to 1.8Ghz? I dunno hard to keep track of everything.

disco_ likes this.
  2. Picao84

Veteran Regular

On the other hand you won't get longer/more complex games on the Quest with its old mobile based SoC. It's too expensive for what it offers IMO, although I understand that it could hardly be any cheaper than it is. Also, unlike a PC or PS4 you either play a VR game or you don't play anything. To me, personally, it's not interesting at all, especially after trying one and 10 minutes later having pain on my neck.

3. disco_

Newcomer

Prospero is the dev kit. Gonzalo was the apu name previous to flute. Gonzalo was associated with 1.0ghz and then was updated to 1.8ghz. Keep in mind this is how apisak/komachi laid it out. All the early stuff is pretty much based in what they fed us. Also, the 1.0 and 1.8ghz speeds were I BELIEVE based on the codename of the chips. And starting with navi, AMD changed how they come up with codenames. Apisak recently posted that AMD was spoofing/using fake codenames but doesn't know how far back that goes. I'm not insinuating any of the gonzalo stuff is incorrect.
    I don't know when/why ariel turned into oberon.

mpg1 likes this.
  4. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Right so its probably:
    APU
    Gonzalo -> Flute
    iGPU
    Ariel -> Oberon

PSman1700 and disco_ like this.
  5. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

I don't think the 1ghz model was ever destined to be a devkit. It's way too slow and I think it was made exclusively to test BC.

6. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Maybe the 1.0ghz version was for PS Now. They could cram a lot of them per U with extremely low power consumption. It would be much less effort to use the same rdna/zen arch already available on 7nm than trying to shrink the ps4 pro. And they could have different higher power nodes for ps5 games.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That's not exactly true. If you have a PC, you can play PC VR games on your Quest as well. That, of course, drastically increases the cost of VR, but you still have that flexibility. While the cost does increase, you do gain greater IQ that the PSVR can't remotely match. As well, considering the price of PC VR headsets of equivalent capability, it's still pretty good value for anyone looking to play PC VR titles. The one drawback, is the limited refresh rate. Many people don't notice that, however.

If the game isn't latency sensitive you can even play PC VR games with no wires. Throw a battery pack on the back as a counterweight and you can triple or quadruple the play time on battery while having the battery pack act as a counterweight increasing long term comfort.

None of this is to say the PSVR isn't good. It's just older tech tied to an aging platform. Likewise the Oculus Quest isn't a perfect VR device. There's a lot of compromises in making it a stand alone VR headset.

One compromise they didn't make, though? Physical IPD adjustment. That one simple thing makes it usable for me, while the PSVR is unusable for me.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. Rangers

Legend

Whenever I see mockups like this I figure the fanboys would rather make the "Only on" text the biggest. Since that's really the important part to them after all.

9. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Absolutely nothing is happening guys. We got no Feb event, no specs reveal, no next gen games announcement, no hype, nada. The hell is going on in Sony's next gen camp?

And for the 9.2 TF believers, how are they gonna clock it at 2Ghz without melting the console? Do you expect them to invest $50 on a super duper cooler just to cool it off or does spending the same amount on more CUs but at a much lower clock yielding far more performance gain sound much more feasible? I don't believe for a second Sony would go through all those inefficiency and stupidity in such a bizarre design just for the sake of BC.
    Even if they're aiming for a cheaper console than the Series X, they still wouldn't go for such an extreme clock design, it's pure insanity.
    Now if that GDC rumor had it at 8 TF, it would actually be more believable due to the fact the clock would be low enough just to work.

#6089 ultragpu, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  10. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

But all those insiders said there would be a February 5th Playstation event.

Michellstar, Proelite and PSman1700 like this.
  11. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

In fact, PS5 is actually just a rebranded super nintendo with a built-in Super FX chip.

12. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

This just in, new information, my friend said sony changed the date from the 5th to the 29th. It was really a last minute decision!

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

I heard they figured out how to make the Sega 32X add-on operate with the Super Nintendo. I mean, what can beat that?

bpguimaraes and milk like this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

And they switched the location to be Wuhan.

Picao84 and Proelite like this.
  15. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Insiders are dead to me now, I don't believe anything till the real thing happens.

milk likes this.
  16. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

If by insiders you mean people on Twitter and YouTube no one in this thread trusted to begin with I agree.

17. Proelite

They can announce anything!

18. Proelite

#6098 Proelite, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  19. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Absolutely don't trust that guy, this is the guy who claimed HZD on PC would look better than HZD2 on PS5. His source also contradicts with most others. This is why insiders are too crowded for their own good or to be trustworthy now.

20. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.