Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they say "low speed kit" I always assumed they meant the 1Ghz gonzalo setup that was unearthed some time ago. I don't think the difference between 1.8 and 2.0 is meaningful enough to call one slow vs the other. Or it was simply still a zen/vega setup. Would those silver PC towers have APUs in them or still desktop components?

I could be wrong on this but I believe Gonzalo and Prospero are the codenames for the entire SoC and Ariel and Oberon for the iGPU itself: ie (Gonzalo with iGPU Ariel and Prospero with iGPU Oberon)

So maybe Ariel was initially 1.0GHZ before going to 1.8Ghz? I dunno hard to keep track of everything.

No, Oculus Quest is by far the cheaper way to jump into VR when comparing the PS4/PSVR. Games are cheaper and device is standalone and also is slightly cheaper than buying a PS4 + PSVR and the quest is just better overall.
The fact that you don't need a cheap camera or move controllers or a cable just shows how the Quest is a much better deal all around.

On the other hand you won't get longer/more complex games on the Quest with its old mobile based SoC. It's too expensive for what it offers IMO, although I understand that it could hardly be any cheaper than it is. Also, unlike a PC or PS4 you either play a VR game or you don't play anything. To me, personally, it's not interesting at all, especially after trying one and 10 minutes later having pain on my neck.

I could be wrong on this but I believe Gonzalo and Prospero are the codenames for the entire SoC and Ariel and Oberon for the iGPU itself: ie (Gonzalo with iGPU Ariel and Prospero with iGPU Oberon)

So maybe Ariel was initially 1.0GHZ before going to 1.8Ghz? I dunno hard to keep track of everything.
Prospero is the dev kit. Gonzalo was the apu name previous to flute. Gonzalo was associated with 1.0ghz and then was updated to 1.8ghz. Keep in mind this is how apisak/komachi laid it out. All the early stuff is pretty much based in what they fed us. Also, the 1.0 and 1.8ghz speeds were I BELIEVE based on the codename of the chips. And starting with navi, AMD changed how they come up with codenames. Apisak recently posted that AMD was spoofing/using fake codenames but doesn't know how far back that goes. I'm not insinuating any of the gonzalo stuff is incorrect.
I don't know when/why ariel turned into oberon.

Prospero is the dev kit. Gonzalo was the apu name previous to flute. Gonzalo was associated with 1.0ghz and then was updated to 1.8ghz. Keep in mind this is how apisak/komachi laid it out. All the early stuff is pretty much based in what they fed us. Also, the 1.0 and 1.8ghz speeds were I BELIEVE based on the codename of the chips. And starting with navi, AMD changed how they come up with codenames. Apisak recently posted that AMD was spoofing/using fake codenames but doesn't know how far back that goes. I'm not insinuating any of the gonzalo stuff is incorrect.
I don't know when/why ariel turned into oberon.

Right so its probably:
APU
Gonzalo -> Flute
iGPU
Ariel -> Oberon

When they say "low speed kit" I always assumed they meant the 1Ghz gonzalo setup that was unearthed some time ago. I don't think the difference between 1.8 and 2.0 is meaningful enough to call one slow vs the other. Or it was simply still a zen/vega setup. Would those silver PC towers have APUs in them or still desktop components?
I don't think the 1ghz model was ever destined to be a devkit. It's way too slow and I think it was made exclusively to test BC.

Maybe the 1.0ghz version was for PS Now. They could cram a lot of them per U with extremely low power consumption. It would be much less effort to use the same rdna/zen arch already available on 7nm than trying to shrink the ps4 pro. And they could have different higher power nodes for ps5 games.

On the other hand you won't get longer/more complex games on the Quest with its old mobile based SoC. It's too expensive for what it offers IMO, although I understand that it could hardly be any cheaper than it is. Also, unlike a PC or PS4 you either play a VR game or you don't play anything. To me, personally, it's not interesting at all, especially after trying one and 10 minutes later having pain on my neck.

That's not exactly true. If you have a PC, you can play PC VR games on your Quest as well. That, of course, drastically increases the cost of VR, but you still have that flexibility. While the cost does increase, you do gain greater IQ that the PSVR can't remotely match. As well, considering the price of PC VR headsets of equivalent capability, it's still pretty good value for anyone looking to play PC VR titles. The one drawback, is the limited refresh rate. Many people don't notice that, however.

If the game isn't latency sensitive you can even play PC VR games with no wires. Throw a battery pack on the back as a counterweight and you can triple or quadruple the play time on battery while having the battery pack act as a counterweight increasing long term comfort.

None of this is to say the PSVR isn't good. It's just older tech tied to an aging platform. Likewise the Oculus Quest isn't a perfect VR device. There's a lot of compromises in making it a stand alone VR headset.

One compromise they didn't make, though? Physical IPD adjustment. That one simple thing makes it usable for me, while the PSVR is unusable for me.

Regards,
SB

2OFP1N3.jpg

Whenever I see mockups like this I figure the fanboys would rather make the "Only on" text the biggest. Since that's really the important part to them after all.

Absolutely nothing is happening guys. We got no Feb event, no specs reveal, no next gen games announcement, no hype, nada. The hell is going on in Sony's next gen camp?

And for the 9.2 TF believers, how are they gonna clock it at 2Ghz without melting the console? Do you expect them to invest $50 on a super duper cooler just to cool it off or does spending the same amount on more CUs but at a much lower clock yielding far more performance gain sound much more feasible? I don't believe for a second Sony would go through all those inefficiency and stupidity in such a bizarre design just for the sake of BC.
Even if they're aiming for a cheaper console than the Series X, they still wouldn't go for such an extreme clock design, it's pure insanity.
Now if that GDC rumor had it at 8 TF, it would actually be more believable due to the fact the clock would be low enough just to work.

Last edited:
Since some folks really love snippets from "insiders", how about one from PC Warrior, VFXVeteran?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/post-256755732

Disclaimer: I don't trust insiders/journalists at all. Only leaked complex info that's beyond the ability of any one to fake.
Absolutely don't trust that guy, this is the guy who claimed HZD on PC would look better than HZD2 on PS5. His source also contradicts with most others. This is why insiders are too crowded for their own good or to be trustworthy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back