Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by some people, they seem to think lower price and more features as the baseline.

I'll bite, because PS5 supports the only form of gaming I've cared about for a while now: VR. I don't care if XSX is more powerful or not, since Microsoft opted to not support it. That's also the reason why I gave so much emphasis to the new controller features.

True, but its not worth the lesser experience for me :)

The difference is much less than you think. PSVR works just fine enough. I tried both original Vive and Rift and the SDE was wait too distracting for me. You only see the SDE on the PSVR if you are reaaaaally looking for it. The tracking is obviously inferior but it's not terrible and depends on how effectively games make use of the gyroscopes as well. In some games you can barely tell it is only one camera, I lost the count how many times I noticed I was completely turned around but moves were still more or less operational because they were not occluded by my body. People complain a lot about the lack of analog sticks on the moves, but it actually feels more natural to me to use one of them as a giant stick to direct movement, as Skyrim VR brilliantly introduced. I even tried to use the Aim in Borderlands 2 VR, but quickly got back to using the moves.

2OFP1N3.jpg

Here is what I think is happening...

1) There is a disparity between what I call version 1.0 of the development kit which uses GCN TF (12.xxx TF) (VEGA) and version 2.0 which uses NAVI (9,216 TF).

2) Version 1.0 uses GCN as this development kit was out before NAVI was an actual product on the market.

3) Version 1.0 of the development kit went out to third party developers and this is what is leaking and why people are saying that it is close to the XSX.

4) Sony is using Version 1.0 of the development kit on third party developers because of "security" reasons as they can't control what people leak what.
Sony can control their own developers, but they can't control third party as much so they have done this for some extra protection against leaking the correct information.

5) At some point the first party developers at Sony switch from 1.0 to 2.0 and now have 2.0 until the final version for first party and third party comes later this year.

We can know besides the github leak because we have the original GDC rumor tweet that had the same exact 9,216 TF number from March 20th of 2019 that exactly matches the github leak & was before that leak.

So, I believe that 9,216 TF was the original target.

Now, the question is, can they match that target?

If there are only 36 CU's out of a total of 40, then if they clock to below 1.96 Ghz, then it's going to be under 9 TF of power.

The difference is much less than you think. PSVR works just fine enough.

It's quite the difference, PSVR is possibly the lowest end form of VR today. That might change with PSVR2, but that wont last long either. It all depends, if you want 'it just works' i guess it wont matter no.

Sony planned this console a long time ago and 9,216 TF was the original target to get them to $400 which gets people from PS4 to PS5 faster while offering advanced features.
Remember 8-9 TF isn't a bad number as it's more like 11-12TF from the previous generation, so it's not exactly poor and they can pour a lot of money into their SSD solution as well as the other chips.

It all makes more sense than trying to go after the high end Xbox and Sony will do great. :)

Here is what I think is happening...

1) There is a disparity between what I call version 1.0 of the development kit which uses GCN TF (12.xxx TF) (VEGA) and version 2.0 which uses NAVI (9,216 TF).

2) Version 1.0 uses GCN as this development kit was out before NAVI was an actual product on the market.

3) Version 1.0 of the development kit went out to third party developers and this is what is leaking and why people are saying that it is close to the XSX.

4) Sony is using Version 1.0 of the development kit on third party developers because of "security" reasons as they can't control what people leak what.
Sony can control their own developers, but they can't control third party as much so they have done this for some extra protection against leaking the correct information.

5) At some point the first party developers at Sony switch from 1.0 to 2.0 and now have 2.0 until the final version for first party and third party comes later this year.

We can know besides the github leak because we have the original GDC rumor tweet that had the same exact 9,216 TF number from March 20th of 2019 that exactly matches the github leak & was before that leak.

So, I believe that 9,216 TF was the original target.

Now, the question is, can they match that target?

If there are only 36 CU's out of a total of 40, then if they clock to below 1.96 Ghz, then it's going to be under 9 TF of power.
Great, now update your 9.216 TF to 8.03 or 8.29 TF and you have yourself a reality based explanation.

Great, now update your 9.216 TF to 8.03 or 8.29 TF and you have yourself a reality based explanation.

If there are only 36 CU's I totally agree with what you posted above.... It all makes sense to me. The Github leak talked about 36 CU, but you can get to 9,216 TF other ways that make more sense IMO.

The other tweet from GDC that I posted just said 9,216 TF so it matched the exact number from the Github leak,but did not say how many CU's or the clock that it would take to get that number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back