Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayco

Veteran Regular

https://media.giphy.com/media/opkBx9TikuQbS/giphy.gif

EDIT: No way PS5 is 13.8 and, at the same time, be "the fastest selling PS". Maybe they went for two SKUs. Oh God, will this horrible wait never end?

Scott_Arm and Picao84 like this.
  2. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I'm not talking about extra buttons on the back of the controller, I'm talking about the new force feedback triggers and haptic feedback. Regarding 3D audio show me where did Microsoft used ray tracing for audio before.

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

The future of 3D audio is in ray tracing, which means it's likely done on the gpu using AMD's audio solution. It could be customized or improved, but Microsoft likely has some form of the same thing. Just guessing, but it doesn't make sense to make a propriety 3D audio processor when there's so much power on the gpu and a solution that already uses it to do the same thing. As for the SSD, it sounds like they've gone with a custom controller and optimization of the filesystem. Maybe even a small cpu to offload the main cpu cores to handle some processing work related to data retrieval. It's still NAND-based storage, so a lot of the performance characteristics will be the same. Random reads have performance limitations on NAND because of collisions accessing the NAND devices. If the Sony SSD really is twice as fast, it won't be because of the controller. It'll be because of the filesystem or just raw speed.

disco_ likes this.
  4. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah I'm actually kinda disappointed a bit with the new XSX controller. Changes seem very minimal.

Really wish one of them would have installed a gyro for aiming.

5. Picao84

Veteran Regular

By controller I meant the DS5, not the SSD controller.

6. N2O

N2O
    Regular

Because XSX controller already did this.
    Anyway if aiming change the controller means higher, i guess Switch should selling for $599 at the beginning.

7. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Since when? Do the triggers show different levels of resistance according to the game?

They obviously don't do this because Microsoft has filled a patent for it after the release of XBX.

https://www.dualshockers.com/xbox-one-controller-trigger-patents/

Edit - You mentioned XSX, I didn't see anything about it on any XSX presentation? Instead of acting all offended, it would be more productive if you actually link to source of that information?

#5987 Picao84, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. disco_

Newcomer

I'll rely on DF to show me what I'm not seeing.

JPT likes this.
  9. Mskx

Newcomer

It has haptic rumble stuff in the triggers. Very effective for the games that utilize it.

10. Picao84

Veteran Regular

That's not the same thing.

11. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

pastebin has an answer, provided you give it the right question

12. N2O

N2O
    Regular

VitaminB6 likes this.
  13. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Your own source says it's not the same thing:

Sony's implementation goes far beyond simple trigger haptics and weighty rumble motors, adding high-frequency actuators that actually impart a sense of texture.

And yes, I'm looking forward to this, especially for VR. I can see why it doesn't matter much on flat gaming, but for VR it can be a game changer.

goonergaz likes this.
  14. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Can we add on EMACS vs VIM also?

Shortbread and BRiT like this.
  15. Mskx

Newcomer

Didn't say it was but it shows Microsoft even at their most Kinect focused innovated and experimented with controller haptics.

16. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I never said they didn't but as far as I know nothing of the short was really announced for the new controller? The only noteworthy update was a share button like the DS4 has, but N2O has been insisting that what was announced for the DS5, the XSX already has, which is not true.

17. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

In fairness, no one has used it yet to determine what difference there is.

I'm all for improved haptics if they get utilized. Not sure how much use Switch's HD Rumble ever got from developers.

AlphaWolf and BRiT like this.
  18. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Has anyone done a comparison between the blocks tested/missing between Arden Vs Oberon?

"quite a few blocks... missing" definitely suggests that it wasn't a complete native test of the chip(s).

19. N2O

N2O
    Regular

XB1 already has, not XSX.
    You can keep thinking how innovative it will be though, not the first time some people falling about this kind of feature end up no one use it.

VitaminB6 likes this.
  20. chris1515

Veteran Regular

I listen the podcast it is before the TGA the 5th december. From 25 minutes Jason Schreirtalk about the fact Lockhart is not cancelled finally and they heard complain about the fact to release on two SKUs. And at 38 minutes he told PS5 and Xbox are very powerful and it compares it positively form what he heard from dev on the GPU side talking about Anaconda and PS5 as more powerful than RTX 2080. Interesting podcast.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...CAUQieUEegQIARAE&ep=6&at=1575634615373http://

ToTTenTranz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.