Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly a verified developer.

He/she is also verified on Era.
Quickly.

There is nothing more to add than what has been said by any developer who has commented. At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance. I don't know if that has changed with the new Devkits, I don't have access to that information at this time and personally I think that (theoretically) I won't have physical access until early summer, for my part. And I don't like to talk about what I haven't personally experienced. I can say that he says "X" and he says "Y", but since the opinion is so different I prefer not to internalize this information.

If you want I invent data, or if you want I tell you a number ... 13.8 (and I start the speculative machinery). But I don't think it's right.

Now what will not let you sleep will be to think if I have given you a false number ... or maybe not (just kidding).

Do you understand where I want to go? (I don't know if this expression is used in English).

Now I really have to go, until next time.

The only credible data is from GitHub. The rest is from pretenders.

Just so we're clear:
- You're of the opinion that Jason Schreier, who said both consoles are close, almost a year ago was saying he knew for sure that both consoles were targeting higher than Statia's 10.7 TFLOPs, recently said both are more powerful than a RTX 2080 and has written dozens of articles as products of intense investigative journalism, is a pretender?

The only credible datapoints you can take from the Github Gospel that haven't officially been disclosed by Sony are:

1 - The GPU has at least 18 WGP
2 - With 18 WGP activated, the GPU can reach 2GHz
3 - The SoC has at least a 256bit GDDR6 memory bus

Nothing else.

But not necessarily at the same resolution.
He's being nit picky on stuff like 10 vs. 7 seconds loading time, but you assume he wouldn't point out a difference in resolution?
Yes, one will be faster than another (but you will not notice it in practice). One will load the screen in 10 seconds and the other in 7 seconds. One will have a better sound than the other. One will run the game at 60fps and the other ... too.

He did not state both consoles run the game the same;
"One will run the game at 60 FPS and the other.. too." -> sure sounds like he's talking about the same game.

He's not the one making new claims in the past six months that I have seen. I doubt all performance claims, especially when they're compared to PC parts and there is no PC part equivalent to base benchmarks on.

My real doubt stems from those who claimed to have access to both devkits months ago. There were people who claimed access to Sony devkits, and we have leaked pictures of those different dev kits. Where are the leaked pictures of the MS devkits? None exit (I haven't seen any). At the very least there should have been leaked pics of the MS devkit from back then. Thus, I dont believe anyone actually had access to MS devkits when their statements were made. Ergo, those statements were fiction.

His info seems to have been compatible with Tommy Fisher whom, according to the mods, has been partially vetted (whatever that means..):

I was the only one who said PS5 is based on 7nm EUV
I was the first one who said PS5 will definitely be over 50 active CUs
I was the first one who said PS5's SSD is over twice as fast as SeriesX SSD
I was the only one who said about 'Project Infinity'
I was the only one who said BluePoint current project is something unexpected
etc

Man just because of saying PS5 is a little more powerful than its competitor, so many fanboys couldn't handle it upload_2020-1-30_14-36-23.gif

My real doubt stems from those who claimed to have access to both devkits mi ths ago. There were people who claimed access to Sony devkits, and we have leaked pictures of those different dev kits. Where are the leaked pictures of the MS devkits? None exit (I haven't seen any). At the very least there should have been leaked pics of the MS devkit from back then. Thus, I dont believe anyone actually had access to MS devkits when their statements were made. Ergo, those statements were fiction.

He's not the one making new claims in the past six months that I have seen.
The podcast where he said both are over the RTX 2080 is 2 months old.

My real doubt stems from those who claimed to have access to both devkits mi ths ago. There were people who claimed access to Sony devkits, and we have leaked pictures of those different dev kits. Where are the leaked pictures of the MS devkits? None exit (I haven't seen any). At the very least there should have been leaked pics of the MS devkit from back then. Thus, I dont believe anyone actually had access to MS devkits when their statements were made. Ergo, those statements were fiction.

You don't think e.g. Activision and Ubisoft, who are definitely launching games for both new-gens this holiday season, have both devkits?
Leaked pictures of devkits before console releases aren't really that usual. The V-shaped PS5 devkit is the exception here AFAIK. Perhaps it was a controlled leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
His info seems to have been compatible with Tommy Fisher whom, according to the mods, has been partially vetted (whatever that means..):

The podcast where he said both are over the RTX 2080 is 2 weeks old.

You don't think e.g. Activision and Ubisoft, who are definitely launching games for both new-gens this holiday season, have both devkits?

What is this Project Infinity he mentions? Never heard about that before.

He's being nit picky on stuff like 10 vs. 7 seconds loading time, but you assume he wouldn't point out a difference in resolution?
It wasn't nit-picky, but talking generalisations. He posted a few examples of things people would look for. Heck, he even mentioned resolution would be different in terms of the pixel-counters, and said the pixel-counters would find it very difficulty - not that they were the same resolution.

"One will run the game at 60 FPS and the other.. too." -> sure sounds like he's talking about the same game.
Yes. With his descriptions, going by the rumours many are taking as set in stone, PS5 has less TFs, loads the game in 7 seconds instead of 10, and renders the game at the same 60 fps in a way that is nigh indistinguishable from the XBSX because it's 'better balanced', such that it's probably 1880p with superb upscaling vs 4k native. That's not in any way explicit though. The point of the post was that end users aren't going to see a big difference, and all the fussing about specs was silly. Even if your console of choice has less TFs or a slower SSD, it's not going to make a meaningful difference to your experience of the games machine. That's the only message intended here. People trying to read into it that the machines are the same performance or not are reading between the lines things never intended.

Well except for the ones telling Sony that they had better double their ram or they were toast....
Yes and we learned AFTER the final specs were released.
And this is the part that worries me. Sony may be aiming lower than MS, just as MS was aiming higher last gen. The warnings from devs made them increase the RAM.
MS is aiming high again and it remains to be seen if Sony targets the right specs.
If MS surpasses Sony in Memory, CPU and GPU I think it will have large consequences.

Yes and we learned AFTER the final specs were released.
And this is the part that worries me. Sony may be aiming lower than MS, just as MS was aiming higher last gen. The warnings from devs made them increase the RAM.
MS is aiming high again and it remains to be seen if Sony targets the right specs.
If MS surpasses Sony in Memory, CPU and GPU I think it will have large consequences.

Sony may actually be the one aiming higher with controller changes and real 3D audio, rather than just relying on horsepower alone. Microsoft's hasn't mentioned anything really new other than Ray Tracing and SSD, which make things nicer and quicker, but otherwise the same.

Sony may actually be the one aiming higher with controller changes and real 3D audio, rather than just relying on horsepower alone. Microsoft's hasn't mentioned anything really new other than Ray Tracing and SSD, which make things nicer and quicker, but otherwise the same.
Don't you ever think that's something Microsoft already done in this gen?

They do, but they wouldnt break their NDA and leak it to those posting on forums.

There is no RT in Oberon regression test because tests are split by blocks. RT is (at least for Arden) in GLX block, and Oberon had no GLX block tested (it only tested Ariel GPU specs), hence no RT related entries. In fact, both Arden and Oberon had quite a few blocks in regression tests missing that other had, and its most certainly not missing in hardware (as certain blocks are default for Navi).

Disproving the leak like this just shows some people never bothered to get the repo and look at it themselves...

GPU Blocks

block.jpg

There is no RT in Oberon regression test because tests are split by blocks. RT is (at least for Arden) in GLX block, and Oberon had no GLX block tested (it only tested Ariel GPU specs), hence no RT related entries. In fact, both Arden and Oberon had quite a few blocks in regression tests missing that other had, and its most certainly not missing in hardware (as certain blocks are default for Navi).

Disproving the leak like this just shows some people never bothered to get the repo and look at it themselves...

GPU Blocks

View attachment 3551
You have a link to the repo?

He's not the one making new claims in the past six months that I have seen. I doubt all performance claims, especially when they're compared to PC parts and there is no PC part equivalent to base benchmarks on.

My real doubt stems from those who claimed to have access to both devkits months ago. There were people who claimed access to Sony devkits, and we have leaked pictures of those different dev kits. Where are the leaked pictures of the MS devkits? None exit (I haven't seen any). At the very least there should have been leaked pics of the MS devkit from back then. Thus, I dont believe anyone actually had access to MS devkits when their statements were made. Ergo, those statements were fiction.
Maybe we should start spread "they were comparing PS5 to Lockhart all the time" claim to the public and see the reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back