Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt if any game software devs have any concrete info outside of some first party devs.
At this point, I think most 3rd party devs have either a near final devkit or have at the very least been briefed about target specs.

So when Jason Schreier says, in December 2019, that both consoles have very similar specs, then they probably have very similar specs.

Yes it could make more sense.
TBH I think XB1 teached MS the lesson to rather bet big and not fall behind like before, and Sony might have underestimated MS's bet this time around on how far they're willing to push it.
As a consequence, if there will be Pro/X midgen updates, MS has less room to improve.

MS will never have a miden update again that was as big as 1 to 1x.

I think for most journalists similar specs is an excel sheet matching exercise.

Both with RT.
Both with SSD
Both with zen
Both with Navi
Both with a little platform secret sauce

Also I assume they may have seen both gameplay wise. Without DF freeze frame 200% zoom they are not going to see a 3tf different. They are sure to see the difference compared to current gen base consoles.

At this point, I think most 3rd party devs have either a near final devkit or have at the very least been briefed about target specs.
I'm going to assume most devs don't get briefed about the specs unless they need to know. Even if third party devs have final dev kits, it doesn't mean just any dev working there will get a spec sheet. Everyone who would need to know and works directly with the dev kits would sign NDAs. Targeted specs are more general but even those are likely under NDA and only for need to know people.

Lots of devs might get a something that says 8 cores 16 threads GPU targets 2x last gen performance with x new features. Probably only the people doing close to the metal optimizations are briefed on the lower level details and actually know the final specs.

I think for most journalists similar specs is an excel sheet matching exercise.

Both with RT.
Both with SSD
Both with zen
Both with Navi
Both with a little platform secret sauce

Also I assume they may have seen both gameplay wise. Without DF freeze frame 200% zoom they are not going to see a 3tf different. They are sure to see the difference compared to current gen base consoles.
You really sure about that? I mean, it's 25% difference, last gen no-one had problems seeing the 35 % difference so I doubt 25% would need 200% zoom freeze frames
(assuming of course that the ~9,5 vs 12 TFLOPS holdsd true)

Offcourse there would be differences but no-one outside console warriors and system wars would care.

If it's 9 or 8 something vs 12 to 12+, then that approaches last gen difference and people will definitely care. Inasmuch as they cared PS4 vs Xbox One, which I think they clearly did.

Many people on Era and really here give the impression they trade a finger for a few more TFlops on PS5 (because it's apparently the underling right now). That proves they care.

I listen to DLC podcast, I hate when those guys talk tech cus they know SO little about it. They are both Sony guys. When Christian Spicer brought the TF leaks as his "story of the week" (segment where each host talks about his most important story of week). Then he mentioned Xbox 12 TF, PS5 9TF. Then he stopped and said plaintively "that's a lot (difference)". Like as if to say "Sony do something, this cant stand". And these guys know absolutely nothing about technology.

So when Jason Schreier says, in December 2019, that both consoles have very similar specs, then they probably have very similar specs.

Last time final hardware dev kits were widely released, detailed information regarding both consoles were leaked.

Around this time last gen (1/23/13), Kotaku received a huge dump of pdfs and it revolved around a dev kit that was still sporting bulldozer cores and a discrete gpu.

Devs don't need actual specs, just rough targets. Whats more important is devs having the software portion of the SDK not the actual hardware.

Last edited:
My guess is the "power" of each console is a conclusion of the price point they decided to target rather than any marketing perspectives relative to the competition. You decide, do you want to be a $400, $500 or $600 console and then the performance you get is a consequence of that. They're not going to say $400 is the best price point for our consumers, but let's make a $500 console because we really want to smash the other guy.
Unless one of them targets higher than what the retail price suggests and bets on a bigger user base and lot of software sales

Unless one of them targets higher than what the retail price suggests and bets on a bigger user base and lot of software sales

Again, your hardware will be a consequence of the retail price. The decision is, "We want to sell for $400 because that's the price our consumers will pay, but we'll accept a loss of $20 per unit early on." Then you design around that. By the time you'd hear what the other team is planning, you'd probably be years into development, having already set your targets based on what you want the thing to cost.

You really sure about that? I mean, it's 25% difference, last gen no-one had problems seeing the 35 % difference so I doubt 25% would need 200% zoom freeze frames
(assuming of course that the ~9,5 vs 12 TFLOPS holdsd true)

For current gen launch we had 720p Vs 1080p

It was a large exaggeration of the difference, you can tell an image is 720p.

Now it might be 1800p vs full 4k especially given we have all the temporal tricks. There will not be easy shimmering aliasing etc that was obvious going into this gen.

It's a whole different comparison I think.

I do think next gen specifications given to developers are most probably sparse. There is 0 need to send detailed documentation for next gen consoles 1.5-2 years before their release. At least in this day and age...

We know bunch of devs have Prospero dev kits, few have already been leaked, but 0 specifications. Which makes me think they sent rudimental target target specs and will send documentation once final dev kits get out in few months time

For current gen launch we had 720p Vs 1080p

It was a large exaggeration of the difference, you can tell an image is 720p.

Now it might be 1800p vs full 4k especially given we have all the temporal tricks. There will not be easy shimmering aliasing etc that was obvious going into this gen.

It's a whole different comparison I think.

If it was 23 fps vs 30fps, you'd notice the 30% increase immediately. But a 30% difference in pixels at that high a resolution ... people won't know unless Digital Foundry tells them.

I do think next gen specifications given to developers are most probably sparse. There is 0 need to send detailed documentation for next gen consoles 1.5-2 years before their release. At least in this day and age...

We know bunch of devs have Prospero dev kits, few have already been leaked, but 0 specifications. Which makes me think they sent rudimental target target specs and will send documentation once final dev kits get out in few months time

Managing expectations 101: under-promise, over-deliver.

Managing expectations 101: under-promise, over-deliver.

Not as good as over-promise, over-deliver.

under-promise, over-deliver is merely good.

tier 1:
over-promise, over-deliver.
over-promise, deliver.
promise, over-deliver,

tier 2:
promise, deliver
under-promise, over-deliver,

tier 3:
over-promise, under-deliver,
promise, under-deliver,
under-promise, deliver

tier 4:
under-promise, under-deliver,

Any difference in tiers 5 and 6 or are they both tier 5?

tier 5:
over-promise, never deliver

tier 6:
promise, never deliver

I mean if the only major difference is a 30% flop differential for the GPU's...this statement is still true. By all accounts they both have essenitally the same CPU, the same GPU arch, and very similar memory and storage systems/capacities.

Again, your hardware will be a consequence of the retail price. The decision is, "We want to sell for $400 because that's the price our consumers will pay, but we'll accept a loss of $20 per unit early on." Then you design around that. By the time you'd hear what the other team is planning, you'd probably be years into development, having already set your targets based on what you want the thing to cost.
So what makes it impossible that one may have already decided for a bigger loss at the same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back