North Korea, a ticking time bomb

K.I.L.E.R said:
Yes I did, but did I say anyone was going to use nukes?

What are they going to use? chopsticks?

The people in Nth Korea as you know are hidden away from the world, they listen to the 1 person everyday in their lives. That person is Kim Jong Il, he fills everyones head with so much hatefull propoganda and the vast majority of people in Nth Korea buy it.

Hmmm its funny that we are spending such time on the manipulative/brainwashing nature of Kim but ignore other dictators (Suddam) who behave similarly. Why is Kim so much worse then leaders in African, China, etc?

If Coalition troops were to enter the country they might as well systematically kill off all the resistance (brainwashed people and whatnot).

How would you systematically do this?

I am not sure all the masses are as blind as you think they are. Hell people give credit to the palistinians for their supposed ability to establish autonomy despite their history....but then they do march in the streets after the bombing of a western nation.... :LOL: :rolleyes:

In any case if we allow one brainwashed ignorant and incompetant group to run a country in the middle east why not let the brainwashed koreans run their own country.

It's like what the Nazis had done. Normal people becoming brainwashed and joining in for the kill.

the kill of whom? I haven't seen examples of this behavior in mass in NK in recent years so i am not sure this would happen.

I hope no one believes that the people of North Korea would open their arms to any troops invading their country?

Perhaps not ergo they are better off under the tyrant who brainwashed them.

An invasion would certainly end up in a genocide for the Nth Koreans.

i don't agree with your political analysis.

I'm speculating from the information I got from the people who made posts in this thread.

On the use of chopsticks, I do believe they can be used as deadly weapons though it will take more than 10 million people with chopsticks to kill every westener in the world.

Hmmm its funny that we are spending such time on the manipulative/brainwashing nature of Kim but ignore other dictators (Suddam) who behave similarly. Why is Kim so much worse then leaders in African, China, etc?

I never said that or intended you to think that. Lets stick to the topic.

How would you systematically do this?

A number of ways. Killing every Nth Korean official (remember the meaning of genocide?) is one key to solving the mess and maybe will break the spirits of those in the army, or maybe not. Just speculation.

In any case if we allow one brainwashed ignorant and incompetant group to run a country in the middle east why not let the brainwashed koreans run their own country.

They have yet to become a threat as large as Nth Korea.

the kill of whom? I haven't seen examples of this behavior in mass in NK in recent years so i am not sure this would happen.

I don't think Coalition troops have marched through North Korea yet.

Perhaps not ergo they are better off under the tyrant who brainwashed them.

That's what Kim wants them to believe and I will not be surprised if a vast majority of people agree with Kim.

i don't agree with your political analysis.
It's mostly an analysis I made up from reading information from this thread.

I can't see the future so I can't say if the North Korean leader will hit on Bush and they will be nice to each other and slap some ass or if an overzealous Nth Korean general decides it's time for Japan or South Korea to die.

I don't see any of your speculation any more usefull than mine.
In the end, it is all speculation. Unless of course you come from the future and know what will happen or you are a real clairvoyant.

It's good to see that China is taking a more aggressive stance against NK.. because the last thing in the world the US would want is for N.K and China to band together.

And really, I don't see a way the US could beat NK on their home turf without 110% Chinese military support. I mean, NK's army has spent the last 50 years preparing for a war on their turf. They probably have an entire military fortress underground... and really, 36,000 US G.I.s vs 1 million NK soliders?

Even if it is a joint China/US war against NK, I can only imagine the casualities. Not good,

The problem legion is that he has huge ability now with bio\chems and conventional artillery... But the hawks dont repsect those the way they respect nukes. Im not ready to kill a million SK's to prove some point that we cant even try diplomacy and economic insertions but should go ahead go start shooting now.

Its ALWAYS distastefull to try and resolve those old stalinist regimes into the modern world. But human life is more important than distaste. Lets give what will be modest economic help and investment a try before we risk a terrible war there which is certain wont be neat and tidy like Iraq.

How the regime will evolve with western economic involvement in their country after such a long isolation cant be predicted. Its also certain you wont have SK support if you launch a large air campaign and itll put at risk any US installation in the area. I doubt myself he'd launch large retaliatory assaults on Seoul as He would hope to break the SK\US alliance... But many Sk's would die form NK attacks on us bases by default...

I think China was far worse than eastern germany btw hhe

pax said:
The problem legion is that he has huge ability now with bio\chems and conventional artillery... But the hawks dont repsect those the way they respect nukes. Im not ready to kill a million SK's to prove some point that we cant even try diplomacy and economic insertions but should go ahead go start shooting now.

No one should respect it. these are empty threats from a twisted little man from a poor asian nation on the other side of the globe. He doesn't have the capacity to do what he is threatening. Some day he might. Do to that fact we have a very valid reason to take this man out now.

The "hawks" as you say in this case apear very aware of this man's potential for distruction while the "hippies" or cowards/pacficists stay in their meth lounge where they are warm and safe, free to smoke (but not inhale in some cases) all the hallucinogenic crap they feel like. These political cowards have only to propose these so called peaceful negotiations which would in fact be nothing more than a smoke screen accomplishing nothing with substance. Doing so would allow Kim to continue on with his plans for developement in the meantime.

Pax you aren't willing to do ANYTHING effective nor would you be involved in an armed conflict. So this isn't a question about whether you are ready for anything. You will remain safe in your world where peaceful negotiations can solve all problems.

the more time they give Kim to allow his men to develop weapons the more of a threat he becomes. Do you not grasp the concept that he could quite possible attack SK with these nukes regardless of threats against him? He is not a sane man. Insanity and nuclear weapons do not mix well with communism and totalitarianism.

Its ALWAYS distastefull to try and resolve those old stalinist regimes into the modern world.

Especially when you give them years and years of time to develope themselves militarily via "peaceful" negotiations. Men such as Satlin, Saddam, Hitler, Kim, Mbeki, Mao, Etc has no business ruling a country. They ultimately will only do damage to their people.

But human life is more important than distaste. Lets give what will be modest economic help and investment a try before we risk a terrible war there which is certain wont be neat and tidy like Iraq.

??? we had tried over 12 years of peaceful sanctions on Iraq. Instead of giving in Saddam merely redistrupted funds so that his populace would suffer rather than his regime. He would let thousands of his own people die for years for the sake of his own greed. You can't reason with a man like this because he has no respect for human life. This is why the sanctions and the oil for food act failed in Iraq. Not because of faults in the plans persay but mainly because of Saddam. Ultimately war has helped save many more lives. Pacificist just can't understand this concept.

How the regime will evolve with western economic involvement in their country after such a long isolation cant be predicted. Its also certain you wont have SK support if you launch a large air campaign and itll put at risk any US installation in the area.

From what? Did the bombing of france's nuclear facility in iraq by israel endanger their air bases? Iraq didn't have the capacity to stop them. NK doesn't have the capacity to stop us. What are they going to do with what troops and what military support?

Considering Kim is threatening the US it is more than likely if he chooses to live up to his words that military bases in SK may already be targets. Targets for what though? Nuclear strike? If so then that only gives us more of a reason to take him out before he has the technology to make nukes and has the rocket technology to send them over seas or to SK.

I doubt myself he'd launch large retaliatory assaults on Seoul as He would hope to break the SK\US alliance... But many Sk's would die form NK attacks on us bases by default...

Pax he doesn't have the capacity right now to do this. The longer we wait the more we endanger surrounding nations by giving him time to develope his weaponry.

I think China was far worse than eastern germany btw hhe

And you think china will aid them for another korean war?

K.I.L.E.R said:
I'm speculating from the information I got from the people who made posts in this thread.

On the use of chopsticks, I do believe they can be used as deadly weapons though it will take more than 10 million people with chopsticks to kill every westener in the world.

Really? You think Kim is going to organize and arm an army of 10,000,000 men, women and children? Are we seeing this in iraq as fortold by the peaceniks :LOL: ?

A number of ways. Killing every Nth Korean official (remember the meaning of genocide?) is one key to solving the mess and maybe will break the spirits of those in the army, or maybe not. Just speculation.

You honestly think that is what is going to happen? That we'd march around slaughtering their people or those inpower? I have a hard time believing we would go around wiping out the people of NK. It is possible that during a war with NK a number of their political leaders may die. If you call that a genocide, which you would be justified in doing so i suppose, you might as well call any other military outsting of a government a genocide. Such would apply to the definition as well as take some of the hot air out of this argument.

remember the meaning of genocide? I posted the definition :LOL:!

They have yet to become a threat as large as Nth Korea.

:LOL: :rolleyes: Really? When was the last time N Koreans terror bombed some country or people to the scale the palistinians and other ME arabs have? I'd say the people of the ME are definately a threat.

This was more sarcasm then anything else Kiler.

I don't think Coalition troops have marched through North Korea yet.

:rolleyes: they were saying the same about Iraq.

That's what Kim wants them to believe and I will not be surprised if a vast majority of people agree with Kim.

You do not know this for a fact however. Besides, there's nothing here that couldn't be fixed by some air raid/blacks ops work anyway.

It's mostly an analysis I made up from reading information from this thread.

And some of your feelings about NK residents.

I can't see the future so I can't say if the North Korean leader will hit on Bush and they will be nice to each other and slap some ass or if an overzealous Nth Korean general decides it's time for Japan or South Korea to die.

Kim is not a threat - yet. The more time we give him the more likely he may become a threat to surrouding areas.

I don't see any of your speculation any more usefull than mine.

of course you don't.

In the end, it is all speculation. Unless of course you come from the future and know what will happen or you are a real clairvoyant.

I have stated the obvious only. NK doesn't have the capacity to do what kim is saying. The more time we give him the more likely he will have the capacity to do what he is saying. Peaceful negotiations will not stop him in the meantime from achieving his goal.

No you have not stated the obvious, you keep putting words in my mouth and going off topic. Please, don't talk about any other country besides Nth Korea.

Your ideas are less believable than mine.

Really? When was the last time N Koreans terror bombed some country or people to the scale the palistinians and other ME arabs have? I'd say the people of the ME are definately a threat.

Is bombing thousands of people a year worse than killing millions in a few years?

they were saying the same about Iraq.
Why change the subject again? Please stay on topic.

You do not know this for a fact however. Besides, there's nothing here that couldn't be fixed by some air raid/blacks ops work anyway.

OT: It really worked in Iraq didn't it? :rolleyes:

And some of your feelings about NK residents.
I have no feelings towards them as I don't know them personally, I have said that this is speculation countless times and you just can't accept that.

Kim is not a threat - yet. The more time we give him the more likely he may become a threat to surrouding areas.

How do you know that he isn't a threa yet? US/Au/Brit military intelligence about Nth Korea's real aresenal will not get released anytime soon if ever.
How do you know they don't have at least 5 nukes?

You don't, the most "reliable" information I have seen is that they have loads of nukes all capable of hitting America and Australia. *cough* 60 minutes Australia *cough* B$B$B$B$B$B$

of course you don't.

That's because your speculation isn't anymore usefull. Didn't I say I am just gathering info from you and others in this thread?
My speculation is just as accurate as yours.

I have stated the obvious only.
And I am just repeating you. :LOL:

NK doesn't have the capacity to do what kim is saying.
You know this, how?

The more time we give him the more likely he will have the capacity to do what he is saying. Peaceful negotiations will not stop him in the meantime from achieving his goal.

Well, the USA sure as hell can't afford to go to another war especially since this Iraq thing has yet to be over.
So what else can be done other than negotiations?

I have stated this is all speculation, if you don't believe your posts are speculation then please provide me with hard evidence that doesn't come form the media.

EXAMPLE: If you believe Nth Korea has a nuclear weapon currently then provide me with a spec sheet along with photos of it and top secret evidence from the FBI, CIA, NSA etc...

If you can't do that then you are doing nothing but speculating. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
No you have not stated the obvious, you keep putting words in my mouth and going off topic. Please, don't talk about any other country besides Nth Korea.

I realldy didn't see that i was going off topic. :rolleyes:

[/quote]Your ideas are less believable than mine.[/quote]

tell me why.

Is bombing thousands of people a year worse than killing millions in a few years?

Ok kiler? Have we been "bombing thousans of people a year" in iraq? Haven't we been selecting military targets where possible? This is what we have been doing for a while now. The introduction of guided bombs have only made this more easy and more accurate.

Why change the subject again? Please stay on topic.

I am not changing the subject i am insuating you are an alarmist.

OT: It really worked in Iraq didn't it? :rolleyes:

Do you know the length at which it was done? Were black ops used at all? What did or didn't work? How have they failed?

btw stop going off topic! :LOL:

I have no feelings towards them as I don't know them personally, I have said that this is speculation countless times and you just can't accept that.

Yes i accept this as speculation. How should i weight its merit?

How do you know that he isn't a threa yet?

threat from what? Nukes his populace haven't developed yet? Rocket technology he doesn't have? What do you propose is the threat here?

US/Au/Brit military intelligence about Nth Korea's real aresenal will not get released anytime soon if ever.
How do you know they don't have at least 5 nukes?

I don't know that he doesn't have 5 nukes. My point has been he can't use them effectively, we are aware of the limitations he has concerning the developement of them and use of them. Where would he launch these nukes? With who's rocket technology? You don't think they'd be spotted and shot down? Where would he launch them from? NK? Don't you think we'd have prior warning? How would he guide the rockets? Who would provide him with the GPS technology or the satelite access to use such technology?

You don't, the most "reliable" information I have seen is that they have loads of nukes all capable of hitting America and Australia. *cough* 60 minutes Australia *cough* B$B$B$B$B$B$

really? can you provide me with this data?

I have heard that nonsense as well however it has never been explained who's technology they are using to propell the nukes or guide them, how NK acquired the technology, who they acquired it from, etc. This make me highly sceptical.

what constitutes being able to hit the USA? The theoretical yield of thrust alongside the amount of fuel a rocket has? If the press thinks so they must have some kind of rocket in mind or just pulled this information out of their ass based on some "informent" who told them they have rockets that can do this.

If they did launch Rockets do you think the US would just sit by and allow them to cross the ocean and hit their targets?

Of course this is aside from the fact the press have an interest in alarming the populace for ratings sake.

Say for a second what you are saying is true - there still is no way of reasoning with such a man. Giving him more time allows him to build up his own technology ultimately allowing him to generate many of his own necessary parts for nukes.

That's because your speculation isn't anymore usefull. Didn't I say I am just gathering info from you and others in this thread?
My speculation is just as accurate as yours.

how do you judge accuracy? You position assumes they have these weapons based on the claims of some anonimous authority. Judging by what they could possibly have they still don't have enough to make having such weapons useful for long range engagements.

Those nukes would surely be shot down leaving him 100% vulnerable for a retaliation strike.

Another valid question would be where they would launch these nukes from?

If he is in fact that crazy he definately needs to go.

And I am just repeating you. :LOL:

i am not quite sure you know what you are doing :LOL:

You know this, how?

becuase the possibility is completely unreasonable.

Well, the USA sure as hell can't afford to go to another war especially since this Iraq thing has yet to be over.
So what else can be done other than negotiations?

Why is that? Why would ONLY the US be involved in this? What kind of war would we be fighting?

I have stated this is all speculation, if you don't believe your posts are speculation then please provide me with hard evidence that doesn't come form the media.

hard evidence they don't have these nukes, rockets, computer technology, guidance technology, etc? Why? The onus of proof is on you. It makes no sense to run about stating every one has nuclear weapons potential. It needs to be proven first.

EXAMPLE: If you believe Nth Korea has a nuclear weapon currently then provide me with a spec sheet along with photos of it and top secret evidence from the FBI, CIA, NSA etc...

Why should have it prove the negative? that makes no sense. You have asserted positive claims they have these weapons. I have stated they don't and will require proof before believing they do. I have also stated many of the problems they'd have using such technology. Their inability makes them rather harmless.

If you can't do that then you are doing nothing but speculating. :)

No, am i asserting the obvious. they have major problems utilizing the technologies and the weapons. This is not speculation. It would be rather difficult to launch an old russian nuke from NK and have it hit the US minus a sophisticated guidance system and a way of not being tracked. that is a simple fact.

Where would NK launch a nuke from that wouldn't be immediately noticed?

Legion, not only do you provide no proof whatsoever to ANY of your claims but you keep going back to the Iraq war where I am not even mentioning it which has NOTHING to do with what I am saying.

If you want to claim any of your arguments as "true" I suggest you show something that will prove what you are saying beyond doubt. So far all you are doing is speculating just like I am.

Until you do prove anything, your argument will remain as speculation. Just like the media reports I read/watch.

Care to answer these question and provide evidence beyond doubt?
Please address each question seperately for easy reading

The North Korean Leader Kim Jong II threatens war if a blockade were formed.

The Australian Prime Minister John Howard has already given full support for American President's idea.
Of course it is said that such a blockade will be a last ditch effort.

Diplomacy doesn't seem to get anywhere by the looks of things.

Is this due to poor diplomatic skills or Kim's stubborness?

On another note, does Nth Korea posses the missile technology to hit Australia with their rockets?
How large of a payload does their current nuke posses?

Can the missile defense system in it's current satge be deployed to destroy a warhead while traveling over the Pacific waters?

Should Australians/Americans worry about North Korea?

I have read that they have a standing force of just over 1M and over 7M in reserves.
Is this B$?

Would it be possible to invade the Nth and completely dispose of any threats they can offer in future?

Would small payload (1-10Mt) nuclear weapons be deployed by America if a war with Nth Korea is official?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Legion, not only do you provide no proof whatsoever to ANY of your claims but you keep going back to the Iraq war where I am not even mentioning it which has NOTHING to do with what I am saying.

That would be because you are the one making the accusations concerning NKs mass nuclear arsenal. What is there for me to prove? Why should i have to prove the negative? I am confused.

If you want to claim any of your arguments as "true" I suggest you show something that will prove what you are saying beyond doubt. So far all you are doing is speculating just like I am.

lol i don't have to provide information against your case as there is nothing out there with substance supporting your argument. Where do you get off assuming you are right? Why do i have to prove to you they have no effective nuclear weaponry? There isn't a valid reason to believe they do.

Until you do prove anything, your argument will remain as speculation. Just like the media reports I read/watch.

:rolleyes: Kiler do you not understand you have to prove they have an affective nuclear arsenal? You have made a positive claim. I shouldn't have to prove you wrong you should have to prove yourself right.

Care to answer these question and provide evidence beyond doubt?
Please address each question seperately for easy reading

Which would prove...?

The North Korean Leader Kim Jong II threatens war if a blockade were formed.

The Australian Prime Minister John Howard has already given full support for American President's idea.
Of course it is said that such a blockade will be a last ditch effort.

I think we might just reach that with him. This may turn out to be another way for Kim to finacially support himself via blackmail so he could back down.

Diplomacy doesn't seem to get anywhere by the looks of things.

Not with NK or China.

Is this due to poor diplomatic skills or Kim's stubborness?

Most likely Kim's stubborness. Even if we had the appearance of diplomacy (which i don't think we will have as he has been reluctant so far).

The man has threatened countries with the use of nuclear force. It is rather difficult to be diplomatic with some one holding a gun to your head isn't it? Even if the gun isn't loaded?

On another note, does Nth Korea posses the missile technology to hit Australia with their rockets?
How large of a payload does their current nuke posses?

With who's technology? They haven't bothered to develope rocket technology. The prime source for such technologies would be china or russia/france. Saying for a moment they did infact buy such weapons where would they launch them from? a base in NK? You don't think a satellite could see that? You think he has the silos to launch hundreds of nukes? Where by chance is he hiding them?

Again simply having such rockets doesn't enable one to use the missle effectively.

Once the nuke is in the air it would become a target.

Can the missile defense system in it's current satge be deployed to destroy a warhead while traveling over the Pacific waters?

Kiler? Do you think a nuclear missle is some kind of magical weapon that can only be destroyed by an "antimissle system?" If so you've been playing far to much Command and Conquer.

With GPS guided missles the US from subs/etc could launch a salvos at the nuke's path to intercept it.

Should Australians/Americans worry about North Korea?

perhaps not worry. They should be concerned with the possibility that kim could get ahold of systems that would enable his nukes (when he developes them) to hit their targets with little chance to react.

I have read that they have a standing force of just over 1M and over 7M in reserves.
Is this B$?

really? where have you read this? can you show me the article?

Would it be possible to invade the Nth and completely dispose of any threats they can offer in future?

You know this is impossible! We could rid them of being a threat to us now. Of course no one can garauntee that NK won't be a threat 50 years from now even in light of an invasion.

is an invasion necessary? Perhaps. At first we'd most likely scout for silos, tank, ammo dump, etc before sending in land troops.

Would small payload (1-10Mt) nuclear weapons be deployed by America if a war with Nth Korea is official?

Do you think countries have stopped developing nuclear technology?

My biggest concern about NK is them becoming a source of weapons grade uranium/plutonium for surroudning nations or terrorist states. This part of the reason i want them shut down asap.

Legion you obviously dont have a good grasp of the north's military capabilities. Your mentionning mao and stalin youd have rather seen wars against them as well? NK isnt Iraq.

"Pax you aren't willing to do ANYTHING effective nor would you be involved in an armed conflict. So this isn't a question about whether you are ready for anything. You will remain safe in your world where peaceful negotiations can solve all problems..."

I am willing to do something that hasnt been tried yet. Clinton didnt honor his agreement and helped the north let 2 million die in the 90's. We can try helping them with some modest food shipments and then economic investment and see how that opens up their society. You cant bunch all dictators and regimes in the same bag as unable to be opened up by other than military means. This isnt about appeasing a Hitler who was invading other countries. This regime isnt invading anyone, is starving and desperate for help. They waited 10 years for Clinton to honor his deal... That doesnt sound like an undealable situation to me.

Just because in your mind the only effective means is to goto war while ignoring the consequences of such doesnt mean there are none. Unless you can offer any other ideas yourself?

North Korea is an indirect threat to the USA. Odds are slim that North Korea would attack if unprovoked, and they do have the capability of hitting the western USA and Alaska. South Korea isn't going to provoke NK because they'd be suffering the brunt and self-interest will rule out. Most other nations really aren't threatened.

What people should really be afraid of is this little country becoming desperate for cash that it decides to sell it's know-how to people that can pay the price. This is what Clinton's deal was all about, just as GHB's policy of buying off technologists from the collapsing Soviet Union.

They might be able to hit the tip of Alaska, but I doubt they currently have anything that can reach the western coast. Perhaps a sublaunched weapon.

The CIA only theorizes that a lightweight version of the taepo dung 2 could be extended to hit the Western US. It is unknown if it is possible and also to carry a warhead. All the more reason to continue to research missile defense to head off being blackmailed by such countries 10 or 20 years down the line.

One thing is certain: a ballastic missile launch on the US would invite nuclear retaliation.

pax said:
Legion you obviously dont have a good grasp of the north's military capabilities. Your mentionning mao and stalin youd have rather seen wars against them as well? NK isnt Iraq.

And i suppose you do? What by chance has indicated to you i don't have this grasp? Please inform me.

If a military at the time had had the power to take out stalin such would definately have been better for Russia then allowing him to live. End of Story. If we had attacked Russia right after WWII we probably could have beaten him. However no one would have been willing to deal with the loss of so many more lives. No one likely imagined the kind of monster Stalin was.

Mao was also a power hungry lunatic who had no hangups over killing/having people killed. Mao may arguably be far more wicked them Stalin.

My point which, you clearly missed, was that peaceful negotiations didn't/couldn't stop them from killing millions under his regime. They were power mad, violent, paranoid and void of any sense of the value of human life.

Clinton didnt honor his agreement and helped the north let 2 million die in the 90's.

No, i wouldn't say that. I would say that Kim opted to allow these people to die. He had millions and he choose to invest in his nuclear programs. Bill Clinton was under no binding contract to do this.

Why is it that we cant igknowledge the fact that the economnic instability of NK and Kim may be the cause of this problem? NK received plenty of money, food, oil etc from US government. Instead of investing that money in his people Kim did what dictators usually do: invest the money in something that will make the dictator more money. In this case it was nuclear arms.

This alongside the fact that NK has ties to many nations in the ME along with china makes me suspect that Kim really wants the ability to develope weapons grade fuel for illegal transaction sake. I honestly believe the ME and China have vested interests in turning NK into a weapons proxy.

I would say one of Clinton's major blunders were his ineptitude and appoiting Carter to discuss with Kim directives of peace. Clearly this failed as NK acquired parts for nuclear weaponry from Pakistan in 98-99 who had received these weapons from Beijing instead of using this money to invest in feeding their populace.

Lets not forget what preempted all of this:

Kim had pulled out of the NPT and was preventing UN/US inspectors from investigating his nuclear facility and programs. This is what caused Clinton to try and negotiate with Kim. With the money provided him he helped to develope his nuclear program and not his people.

We can try helping them with some modest food shipments and then economic investment and see how that opens up their society.

Looks like we tried that in the 90s which failed. Kim isn't interested in aiding his people. He interested in developing his nuclear programs. Last time i check there have been receiving US/UN food aid since the 90s.

Pax exactly what would be this supposed economic investment? Kim has his economic investments in advancing a nuclear program. :LOL:

As was demonstrated under Clinton, Kim is a liar. There is no reason to believe he won't continue funding a nuclear program even with continuing aid and economic investments (what would people invest in NK :LOL: ). That is afterall what Bill Clinton was doing there, helping to set such things up. Kim simply chose to use what he received in a different manner then the the reason that was posed to him suggested.

You cant bunch all dictators and regimes in the same bag as unable to be opened up by other than military means.

I believe the military means and poor leader ship of the government by the dictator are valid reasons to link them together Pax. Though the method of dealing with them may be different a tyrant is still a tyrant.

This isnt about appeasing a Hitler who was invading other countries.

No its appeasing a man who wants a nuclear program to launch missles over japan.

Would you call this a sound action from a reasonable person?

This regime isnt invading anyone,

Not this particular NK regime at this particular moment. However his interest are clear. He wants to develope nuclear weapons at the cost of his own people's lives. What is a better reason to get rid of this man? Who cares who is dying. Kim is directly responsible for their deaths. He needs to go.

is starving and desperate for help. They waited 10 years for Clinton to honor his deal... That doesnt sound like an undealable situation to me.

Honor his deal to what? he promised many things. SOme of which he has acted apon. Most if not all he hadn't the authority to make. He had given NK food donations and monetary donations in access of millions of dollars as well as oil. Kim didn't use the money on his people. Rather he used it to purchase nuclear weapons material from Pakistan in 98/99. I am so those parts didn't cost him a buck fifty. I am sure he could have payed to feed his people on that money.

Just because in your mind the only effective means is to goto war while ignoring the consequences of such doesnt mean there are none. Unless you can offer any other ideas yourself?

I can simply turn this statement on you by merely rewording it.

Just because in your mind peaceful negotiations are the only way to avoid war while....

It is clear that with Clinton peaceful negotiations failed mainly because of kim. He isn't willing to stop doing what he is doing which is investing millions into nuclear weapons technologies while sacrificing his own people.

If he really has all the nukes some people claim he has he surely payed more than 100,000,000 easy on the parts. Money like that could have been used to feed his people. obviously he doesn't care.

pax said:
. This regime isnt invading anyone

Talk to the South Koreans and Japanese about that. Over the past 40 years there have been a huge number of incursions, not to mention terrorist attacks like the Korean airlines bomb.

DemoCoder said:
They might be able to hit the tip of Alaska, but I doubt they currently have anything that can reach the western coast. Perhaps a sublaunched weapon.

The CIA only theorizes that a lightweight version of the taepo dung 2 could be extended to hit the Western US. It is unknown if it is possible and also to carry a warhead. All the more reason to continue to research missile defense to head off being blackmailed by such countries 10 or 20 years down the line.

One thing is certain: a ballastic missile launch on the US would invite nuclear retaliation.

Lets not forget in the 90s NK did launch an empty No Dong Ghauri or a Tae Po Dong over japan (IIRC). The Ghauri suposedly has a max range of 900 miles which would put the US out of range even if the missle lived up to its theoretical limit.

Both the Ghauri and Tae Po Dong are based on rocket technology give to NK by China. This was clearly in violation of the NPT rendering clinton's peace deals with Kim null and void..

this is why i am worried about giving Kim more time. He has the capacity to develope the technology he has purchased or purchase other newer designs from france (ROLLAND) or china. Its only a matter of time. Clinton should have struck when he had the chance instead of trying to appease this tyrant.

Give this man or any tyrant money donations and he'll buy:

SCUD missles, CSS-2 Missles, CSS-3 Missles, MIRV technology (remember the china missle tech scandal that never happened :LOL:), etc which must have cost him over hundred million to acquire and develope. Doing so of course come with the cost of millions of human lives which is Clinton's fault do to the fact Clinton didn't fix Kim's problem.

I like Koreans. They buy and make lots of MP3 players. All this talk about "striking" North Korea makes me think the MP3 market in Korea would dry up rather shortly.

For the sake of my job, lets not consider that an option.

zurich said:
It's good to see that China is taking a more aggressive stance against NK.. because the last thing in the world the US would want is for N.K and China to band together.

And really, I don't see a way the US could beat NK on their home turf without 110% Chinese military support. I mean, NK's army has spent the last 50 years preparing for a war on their turf. They probably have an entire military fortress underground... and really, 36,000 US G.I.s vs 1 million NK soliders?

Even if it is a joint China/US war against NK, I can only imagine the casualities. Not good,

Zurich behind the scenes they most likely are banding together. NK's basis to begin developing its missle protypes (Tae Po Dong and the No Dong) came from china's CSS-1 and CSS-2 missle series. China seems to be selling these rockets to Syria whom sells them to Pakistan whom sells them to NK. Many were purchased directly from China - all these actions being in violation of the NPT and all existing diplomatic agreements with NK.

China stands make a good sum of money by working incognito with NK.

RussSchultz said:
I like Koreans. They buy and make lots of MP3 players. All this talk about "striking" North Korea makes me think the MP3 market in Korea would dry up rather shortly.

For the sake of my job, lets not consider that an option.

Of course Russ means "South Koreans" when he says "Koreans", but this is exactly right and exactly why America won't go to war with North Korea.

It is not in dispute that the US would win such a war quickly and unambiguously, assuming we committed sufficient forces (which admittedly would be tough with 150,000 troops stuck in Iraq). North Korea may have a million men in their army, but much of their equipment is left over from the Korean War, and they don't even have fuel to run their 50-year old tanks.

The problem is that within minutes of the start of hostilities, North Korea could rain down tens of thousands of artillery shells on Seoul, killing hundreds of thousands of MP3 player buyers. This threat is absolutely certain, and impossible for the US to protect against.

It will make the US avoid a war at all costs. No, not even the heartless cowboy-capitalist Bush administration will let a metropolis of 10,000,000 gadget-buying customers be reduced to rubble.

But that doesn't mean they won't pretend that they might let that happen. The Bush administration absolutely intends to negotiate their way out of this. It's just that they think playing chicken is the best negotiating tactic ATM.

It should be noted that when the same issue came to a head during the Clinton administration, they followed exactly the same tack. Indeed, if anything they played chicken much more ruthlessly than the Bush administration has been. Clinton asserted that reprocessing nuclear waste would constitute an act of war that would trigger a US attack, while Bush at first seemed to take the threat of attack off the table, and hasn't stuck with any particular event as triggering an attack. (It's unclear if this is due to disorganization or a strategy to keep the North Koreans off-balance.)

Back