ATi's roadmap for 2004

RussSchultz said:
Yes, yes. But the 'finding out' will be completed in the future. So even if the thing we find out has already happened, the future perfect makes some twisted sense.

I was being facetious, Russ.

WaltC said:
Just to play devil's advocate, it's always seemed to me that in relation to "bang for the buck" in 3d the high end is the place to be...;) As well, everybody wants a Rolls/Jag/Mercedes for the price of a Ford or Chevy, don't they?

Contrast the ~$200 9600XT with the ~$350-$399 9800P--you get better than 2x as much with the 9800P, aside from clockrate, of all of the things that matter much more than clockrate in 3d, it seems to me. Or contrast the ~ $449-499 9800XT with the $350-$399 9800P, and the extra $100 buys you a faster core clock & 2x the amount of onboard ram. But contrast the 9600XT with the 9800XT and it seems to me that "bang for the buck" is pretty darn close in both cases.

I think the common mistake is that most people think "bang for the buck" goes out of the window on the high end, but it doesn't--bang per buck should be fairly consistent, it's just the amount of bucks, and therefore bang, that differs. As long as they stick to the rule of "you get what you pay for" I'm happy...;)

Walt, granted that many whine about not getting the absolute best for a song, but that's not what I'm trying to say here. Let's try it this way, with each previous generation of cards, the range seems to have had far less of a gulf between levels. With R100, the layers were clockspeed and memory type with a fairly gentle slope from 64MB DDR to 32MB DDR to 64MB SDR to 32MB SDR with a slight clock/memory drop going from step 1 to 2 if I remember correctly. R200 had a similar type of slope if I remember except without the SDR steps. Now, we come to R3xx and R4xx and the slope becomes a cliff. Going from anything R300-based to anything RV300-based loses 4 pipes and 1/2 the bandwidth (except the 9500 Pro, which was a sweet product, though I can understand the price problem). Now, with the R4xx we have the same problem along with the rumor/fact the RV4xx will be PCIe only (forcing an upgrade to other components as well for older systems). It's not that the 9600 XT, for example isn't a nice card, but if you look at the difference between the MSRP and the Sapphire card (almost identical) online, you'll find that the market is saying this is a ~$150 card, not a $200 card. Same drops happened to 9600 Pro when it was released. What I'm wondering is: where is the middle step? Where is the 9800NP of the R4xx and will ATI allow it to live longer than a couple of months?

I was very headachy and sore-throaty when I wrote the explanation. However I stand by the conclusion that "will have come" was a better usage in his original post than any of the other suggestions.

Of course while I am in the US now, I was born in the UK (but educated in Canada).

digitalwanderer said:
Yup, I speak that nasty bastardization of the English language called "american english" and I spell "colour" and "flavour" wrong. :)

Yes, Dig, you do spell them wrong. It's "color," and "flavor."

:)

"will have come" sounds just right for me as a german. We're using the same construct in our language with exactly the meaning Dave intended.

ninelven said:
May as well throw in my 2 cents :) . Original sentence was fine but awkward. I prefer the "has come" or simply "came" options.

Hmmm... rumour or rumours... or even rumors... ;)

bbbbbuuuhhht...i before e, except after c.

Meh, the autocorrect feature of Word has ruined me. Must turn it off, right now.

There is a "c" in weirdo, you just can't see it. That's what's weird about it.

i want a compiler that does fuzzy matching of identifiers
and instead of telling me that i forgot a semicolon just inserts it and continues compilation
and i want the DWIM instruction too, or was it only supported on some old IBM big iron CPUs?

Back