ATI Shoots for 60%

geo said:
Saw this link over at R3D: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/16/ati_vs_nvidia/

Formalistic chest-pounding by ATI? I doubt it. I think they think they know something about the next several months. Time will tell if they are correct.

I doubt this has much to do with ATI's projection of r420 vs nv40. Those 2 chipsets won't add up to much more than a few % of the market by the end of the year.

ATI's integrated chipsets have been doing quite well and the addition of an AMD chipset should only add to their marketshare. Especially when talking about China.

Could be. I was wondering if this might include a dx9 card that they have a lot of confidence in beating NV with on price and performance in the low-end where NV 5200 currently rules. Whether it be an R420 derivative or an R(v)360 derivative pushed down the food-chain.

Nah they won't get the 60% their goal is actually 50% I think you will find and they didn't sound too confident about that in the very short term.

geo said:
Could be. I was wondering if this might include a dx9 card that they have a lot of confidence in beating NV with on price and performance in the low-end where NV 5200 currently rules. Whether it be an R420 derivative or an R(v)360 derivative pushed down the food-chain.

It most certainly might. Orton has confirmed that their upcoming low-end part (RV370) will be a DX9 core (probably a cut-down RV360) fabbed on TSMC's 0.11u process, and that it will be shipping in the spring. They are obviously counting heavily on this part to capture OEM market share in that segment.

Back