ATI RV740 review/preview

Already discussing it in the AMD RV770 -> RV790 thread, although I admit it wasn't exactly easy to know :)

Not saying it doesn't warrant a thread on its own but merely saying it if you were wondering why no one had "noticed" ;)

Already discussing it in the AMD RV770 -> RV790 thread, although I admit it wasn't exactly easy to know :)

Not saying it doesn't warrant a thread on its own but merely saying it if you were wondering why no one had "noticed" ;)

Just because there are talks in there should they go in there?

Guru3d has a review on an engineering sample of the RV740.

Please enjoy in all its 13 page glory.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...-preview-test/

it looks really promising. And it looks like the rumored spec was true.

Edit!
it seems it has 16 ROPS.
and needs a 6 pin power connector.
Yeah its really to bad it has a 6 pin connector, I hope its just for pre production products. We will see.

Yeah its really to bad it has a 6 pin connector, I hope its just for pre production products. We will see.
Is it really bad? GF9600GT has it, HD4830 has it... Both of these are considered as very good products. RV740 has one big advantage: it's faster than both of these. So it's not a disadvantage - it only indicates, that power drain is at similar level. Nothing good, but nothing horrible.

Why? What can you expect? Well, from what we see... performance is really close to the performance level of a Radeon HD 4850. So meanwhile others are re-labeling and reinserting their products at a new price point, ATI is moving forward with more interesting steps. Smaller die-size, more shader processors (compared to RV730), oh and that life-size rabbit I just mentioned... it's GDDR5 memory.

Oh man!

*drools*

We are sure this product is going to be cheaper than 99 USD / 89 EUR.

Holy crap! I hope Nvidia has something to counter this. Not because I favor either one, but because a price war would drop prices even further.

war would drop prices even further.

Not really, their "slow" GTS250 will launch at $129 ("fast"@149) so yes, you'd still pay a hefty premium for nV graphics. I think the 9800GTX "green Edition" would sell at $99 but it's no match for the $99 RV740 reviewed by G3D.

Not really, their "slow" GTS250 will launch at $129 ("fast"@149) so yes, you'd still pay a hefty premium for nV graphics. I think the 9800GTX "green Edition" would sell at $99 but it's no match for the $99 RV740 reviewed by G3D.

Yeah, I just realize that myself after finishing the preview. Looks like the choice is obvious on what my next upgrade will be.

I think people may be underestimating how fast the GTS 240 is going to be. If the reported clocks are correct then its going to be faster than the 8800 GTS 512MB which puts as fast, or faster than an 8800GTX for the most part.

I think it will be performing pretty similar to RV740 and if the 250 is launching with a $129 price tag then the 240 has got to be pretty close to the $100 mark.

I'm not saying the 240 is going to be equal or better value. But I don't think the difference is anywhere near as great as some people are expecting.

Aw poo I failed. :cry:

I think people may be underestimating how fast the GTS 240 is going to be. If the reported clocks are correct then its going to be faster than the 8800 GTS 512MB which puts as fast, or faster than an 8800GTX for the most part.

I think it will be performing pretty similar to RV740 and if the 250 is launching with a $129 price tag then the 240 has got to be pretty close to the $100 mark.

I'm not saying the 240 is going to be equal or better value. But I don't think the difference is anywhere near as great as some people are expecting.

Sure it might be a decent value for consumers, as is the GTX260. ;)

Holy crap! I hope Nvidia has something to counter this.
NVIDIA has something to counter this for more than a year. It's called 8800GT. Plus you have to remember that todays 9600GT is a card launched on the old G94 while G94b is available for some time now. NV will adapt to this easily.

Thing is, why the hell is a 100USD (and below) chip using 1.1Ghz GDDR3?
Very likely 0.8ns chips, accounting OC and such. Is nVidia selling them bundled again?

On the other hand, the 8800GTS (G92) will definitely be faster in cases not bandwidth limited as it has clocks much closer to the 240 (650 vs 675, 1625 vs 1688, 1940 vs 2200) but with a 14% cluster advantage.

RV740 @ 650 should trail the 8800GTS by a little, perhaps on par with it (and the 9800GTX original) on OCed editions, but ithere might be a 5-10% gap wrt the 240.

NVIDIA has something to counter this for more than a year. It's called 8800GT. Plus you have to remember that todays 9600GT is a card launched on the old G94 while G94b is available for some time now. NV will adapt to this easily.

Now will they call it GTS 230? 235? 245? :p

Regards,
SB

ATI still stands to win a lot by doing this. Die size alone makes it worth it for them. G92b isn't exactly small at 231mm2 (considering RV770 is 256mm2) but I bet RV740 is.

8800GT is MUCH more expensive to manufacture than R740, so it really cannot compete.

(G92 is 334 mm^2, 256-bit us, RV740 is about 125 mm^2 (my estimate based on RV770 die size , mfg process and number of processing units) , 128-bit bus)

What is G94b?

=>hkultala: You're forgetting that G92 is being manufactured on 55nm for some time, so the die size is lower (though still about RV770 levels). It's called G92b and analogically, G94b is the 55nm version of G94. But I agree that these (55nm, 256-bit) are probably more expensive than RV740, even though it has GDDR5.

Back