ATI R520 Details (not sure if true).. is this XBOX 2??

at the time of release in November 2001, the Xbox graphics chip was the most powerful GPU from Nvidia. the fastest PC GPU from Nvidia at that time was the weaker GeForce3 Ti500. even though the Ti500 had greater bandwidth than NV2A, it needed it to render in higher resolutions. it was still a weaker, less advanced GPU than NV2A.

I think the ATi R200 / Radeon 8500 was out at the same time though, and that had features that NV2A did not. I wonder how the two compared in performance. it's hard to say because there was not a PC equivalent of NV2A at the time, and there were no consoles with Radeon 8500.

Megadrive1988 said:
at the time of release in November 2001, the Xbox graphics chip was the most powerful GPU from Nvidia. the fastest PC GPU from Nvidia at that time was the weaker GeForce3 Ti500. even though the Ti500 had greater bandwidth than NV2A, it needed it to render in higher resolutions. it was still a weaker, less advanced GPU than NV2A.

I think the ATi R200 / Radeon 8500 was out at the same time though, and that had features that NV2A did not. I wonder how the two compared in performance. it's hard to say because there was not a PC equivalent of NV2A at the time, and there were no consoles with Radeon 8500.

Well, ti 500 also had slightly higher fillrate and cpus were much faster at the time than what the xbox had.
And the 8500 wasn't out yet, I think the 8500 only came out shortly before the geforce 4 tis, plus it wasn't faster than the ti 500.(and nv2a had dual vertex shaders, I think the 8500 only had a single vertex shader but had the ability to use fixed function in conjunction with it)

rashly said:
To the original post:

No way it will be 700mhz with 24 pipes.

Wasn't it 32 textures units as well?(it would have to be if ati is claiming 3x the performance)

Fox5 said:
I think the 8500 only came out shortly before the geforce 4 tis, plus it wasn't faster than the ti 500.
Only because of the abysmal launch drivers. 12 months later the 8500 was well ahead.

Fox5 said:
Well, ti 500 also had slightly higher fillrate and cpus were much faster at the time than what the xbox had.
And the 8500 wasn't out yet, I think the 8500 only came out shortly before the geforce 4 tis, plus it wasn't faster than the ti 500.(and nv2a had dual vertex shaders, I think the 8500 only had a single vertex shader but had the ability to use fixed function in conjunction with it)
The 8500 had two vertex shaders. It was out about six months before the Geforce 4.

Fox5 said:

Nope, 2 VertShaders on 8500, that's how in theory you were able to get Truform "for free", thanks to the added polygon performance which was "hidden" otherwise. In theory.

digitalwanderer said:
Blech! I always not-so-secretly hated the 8500. Weird as it sounds I'd take a GF4 ti over one any day. (And have)

Well, geforce 4 ti was faster, and the drivers less buggy.

Ok then change it to "Blech! I not-so-secretely hated the 8500. Weird as it sounds I'd take a GF3 non-ti over one any day. (And have)" (I had a pretty sweet little GF3. ;) )

digitalwanderer said:
qwerty2000 said:
Time out those R520 specs aren't real also the guy who actually made those specs orginally is the Adminstatror of forum.pcvsconsole.com . He also told me he just made them up.

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=13324

He made them up like 3 months ago
Good find, two points! :D
hehe yup ..... looks like qwerty2000 found the source of all those recent "R520 specs?" news/posts all over the internet heheh

Back