ATI needs to rename their graphics cards

AlphaWolf said:
Yes lets nitpick the %'s of his incomplete list, that will be a useful exercise.
Jeez, I highly doubt it was actually 66% :D I was just guessing. It does seem to be a conservative ballpark figure for how much worse ATi is, though. :)

Edit: I meant ATi is worse for naming conventions (as in, they have lots more. Sorry, thought that was obvious! :p). I didn't think it was trolling for flames, because it was a fact. I'm sorry if anyone was offended by ATi having even more chipset names than nVidia (who have more than enough, too). But please, take it out on ATi, not me.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I say they name them by year. Like Radeon 2005 XT, XL, Pro, Vanilla, LE, Suckage...etc (with suckage being the lowest part of the lineup ;) ). Kinda like how they are starting to do with the All-In-Wonders.

Yes! Please! Just something more straightfoward! :D

My big problem with the names is I am asked to recommend cards frequently, and I can only memorise the details of about half the ATi chipsets. So I end up recommending nVidia cards instead.

It's good that the two companies are so close in performance and features (now) that I can happily recommend cards from one or the other - but it's bad for ATi (from my point of view), because I don't want to learn a gazillion chipsets. Hence, I just ask how much someone has to spend, and point them at an appropriate nVidia special offer.

(Is this really trolling? I think both companies offer great products, but one has a couple too many names for them, and the other has way too many names for them. Oh! I see! I left out 'IMO' :p)

Back